Tell me about the Celestion G12-80 speakers

The G12-80 I have (1777) does not sound like a Classic Lead 80. 2 different flavors
The CL 80 sounds like a modern bland lifeless version of the Rola 1777 g12-80 to me. Both are 1777. I think I even prefer the Mesa MC 90 (again based on the rola 1777 g12-80) over the CL 80. It’s similarly bland sounding but fatter and warmer with more balls.

Neither do old T-75's compared to new T-75's. The biggest difference I can see is these have a vent, but so do old 75's.
Yeah the vented ‘80’s T-75’s I had sounded like a higher wattage Greenback to me. The ‘80’s non-vented version that came after sounded more like a better version of the recent made ones with that more scooped sound

The CL 80 sounds like a modern bland lifeless version of the Rola 1777 g12-80 to me. Both are 1777. I think I even prefer the Mesa MC 90 (again based on the rola 1777 g12-80) over the CL 80. It’s similarly bland sounding but fatter and warmer with more balls.
Zactly >

That’s the tone. Do you still have the clip with those speakers where you played a Rush riff?

Man you got one smokin hot good memory. I got that 2203 from John Pace.
I retubed it with SED =C= 6550's. I still have the GT 6550 quad i pulled.
I was in an apartment at the time with another 2203 and five 4x12 cabs on the third floor. At one point i was afraid the floor would cave.
I would have had to tame down that head if i were going to keep it and i didn't want to mess it up.
JMP prices had doubled when i sold it. That fugger was true blue Marshall all the way.
Bone stock with some blackburn Mullard pre's.
At 320 watts a G12-80 cab can take whatever you throw at it.
Big tight bottom, super focused mids and a nice top end.

Yeah the vented ‘80’s T-75’s I had sounded like a higher wattage Greenback to me. The ‘80’s non-vented version that came after sounded more like a better version of the recent made ones with that more scooped sound
I have a cab from 88 with the non vented next versions....they actually have good mids. A little darker than the vented versions but surprisingly not that far off.

I have a cab from 88 with the non vented next versions....they actually have good mids. A little darker than the vented versions but surprisingly not that far off.
I’ve directly compared the ‘80’s vented and non-vented that came after both as full quads in my Kerry Wright and compared isolated outside of a cab and found the non-vented ones a lot more scooped and with more lows and highs. I liked them overall about equally, just different. The vented one was GB-ish, the non-vented closer to the T75's that came after. In either case, I find neither are really needed vs the top tier vintage speakers, but very good for the price

Yep, very different. CL80s can sound good; I've heard some nice clips of them by others. I had a 4104 combo with them and didn't care for them much. CL80s have more mids than the G12 80s from what I remember.
I remember the CL80's being quite a bit more scooped (long time ago now), but they weren't my favorites either. Rex Rocker may be on to something with his post about both the vented T75's and vented G12-80's being more midrange-y than their non-vented counterparts (CL80 being non-vented) being more scooped

Last edited:
I also have on the way now a pair of 444 cone G12-80's. It'll be up against some very steep competition against some of my other vintage speakers, but will be curious to see how they fare

I also have on the way now a pair of 444 cone G12-80's. It'll be up against some very steep competition against some of my other vintage speakers, but will be curious to see how they fare
Keep in mind they’re not particularly mix friendly speakers.

Back