Tell me about the Suhr Aldrich

Rex Rocker

I've always loved the Duncan JB, but always wished it was a tad less stuffy in the low mids. I've heard the Aldrich being described as tighter than the JB.

So is the Aldrich kind of a tweaked JB that's more suited for high-gain? The specs would seem to suggest it would be darker and hotter, correct?

I've heard it being described as not actually hotter than the JB, though. And also, with more "growl". Meaning... lower mids? Because I certainly wouldn't want more low mids than a JB.

Just wondering if I'd like the Aldrich for metal tuned to C.

Thanks!

It's definitely a hot pickup. Do not put it in an all mahogany body guitar. I had a set installed in a Gibson Flying V. Sounds dark and muffled. My experience at least.

It's suppose to sound better in a mahogany guitar with maple top, like a Lespaul.

Good luck.

I've been listening to clips, and I don't really hear it doing downtuned metal.

But honestly, darker than a JB? I'm starting to think it's not the pickup I should be looking at.

My Les Paul does have a maple top and neck, though.

I'm a custom 5 guy. Love the "scooped" tonality with more output. I have tried to like jb's through the years and always tried to convince myself that it was ok. fuck that-I hate that pup....I have discovered through the years that until you install one in the guitar and try it...who knows?

Oh, I've tried the Custom 5. Not for me. I don't mind scooped. I just find it too fat in the lows. I like leaner pickups, myself. But that's JMO. Not a fan of the Custom family in general, TBH.

It can do drop tuned metal juuuuuust fine, there’s one in my Orville in drop-C right now. The lower mids in that pickup are the shit.

I've been listening to clips, and I don't really hear it doing downtuned metal.

But honestly, darker than a JB? I'm starting to think it's not the pickup I should be looking at.

My Les Paul does have a maple top and neck, though.
When I had one in my shop, I measured it with a higher resonant peak that the JB. The JB's is 5.5khz whereas the Aldrich measured 5.8Khz. There's something about the 5.5K spike that I don't like. If you move about that or below that, the pickup seams to open up a bit. That said, I feel the Aldrich sounds more raw and open with a Les Paul but sounds more compressed in bolt on necks. My unbiased opinion is that it's better suited in a Les Paul. Les Pauls bridge pickup routes are typically a little closer to the bridge than other guitars contributing to a little more brightness. The Aldrich I think benefits from this.

Last edited:
I put the Aldrich set in my all-maple L6-S and it made that guitar sound awesome! I was very pleasantly surprised. It darkened that guitar just enough so that it is truly a goldilocks sounding guitar. I have used the JB before and not been a fan. Glad I took the plunge!

Dude, I had an Aldrich in my Les Paul Standard years ago when I gigged and it smoked. I specifically got it when I was getting into Aldrich and the modded Marshalls.

If you listen to this video clip, you can get a feel. Low end is there but not overwhelming and tight. For a h8gh gain pickup, cleans up really well and can do more than just metal. I used to be in a band doing Honky Tonk Women, etc and I used that pickup and a JSX.

I love the Aldrich pickups. I have them in a few Suhrs and my Les Paul Custom, and I just got another Aldrich bridge pickup to throw in a Suhr Modern. It's tight, but with a sweet top end. If I'm doing high gain stuff, it's either an Aldrich or EMG 81 for me. Infinitely prefer it over the JB.

Don't like it in my explorer ( mahogany) but it was awesome in my alder strat. So honestly, its going to vary and thats the truth on most pups. It's nice and tight. Awesome harmonics and crunch...when you find the right body.

I've always loved the Duncan JB, but always wished it was a tad less stuffy in the low mids. I've heard the Aldrich being described as tighter than the JB.

So is the Aldrich kind of a tweaked JB that's more suited for high-gain? The specs would seem to suggest it would be darker and hotter, correct?

I've heard it being described as not actually hotter than the JB, though. And also, with more "growl". Meaning... lower mids? Because I certainly wouldn't want more low mids than a JB.

Just wondering if I'd like the Aldrich for metal tuned to C.

Thanks!
Do you like Cattle Decapitation? The Guitar Player uses one and has for a while now.

Do you like Cattle Decapitation? The Guitar Player uses one and has for a while now.
The Aldrich was used on The Anthropocene Extinction, Death Atlas and Terrasite.

On a semi-related note I actually inquired with Suhr about doing an Aldrich with an Alnico 8 magnet a while ago. They said they would be happy to do it for me but that there would be a delay citing lingering Covid-tymes supply chain issues. I’ve got another email out to them asking what the status is. Interested to see how that would turn out…

The Aldrich was used on The Anthropocene Extinction, Death Atlas and Terrasite.

On a semi-related note I actually inquired with Suhr about doing an Aldrich with an Alnico 8 magnet a while ago. They said they would be happy to do it for me but that there would be a delay citing lingering Covid-tymes supply chain issues. I’ve got another email out to them asking what the status is. Interested to see how that would turn out…
I Wonder if the SD ALT-8 is an Option for you?

Dude, I had an Aldrich in my Les Paul Standard years ago when I gigged and it smoked. I specifically got it when I was getting into Aldrich and the modded Marshalls.

If you listen to this video clip, you can get a feel. Low end is there but not overwhelming and tight. For a h8gh gain pickup, cleans up really well and can do more than just metal. I used to be in a band doing Honky Tonk Women, etc and I used that pickup and a JSX.

Love that video. However, that is not the Suhr Aldrich pickup in any of his guitars then. The strats were loaded with Duncan Alan Holdsworth pickups and the Les Paul had a Duncan Custom Custom. According to Doug- when I aske dhim about pickups, he likes the Custom Custom because it shaved a hair of top end off his bright Marshalls.

I have had the Aldrich in most of my guitars. It is one of my favorite pickups.

I have one in each of my Les Paul Axcess. They sound amazing! Lot's of clarity and just the right amount of cut and bottom end.

Back