Thanks JHS! Bad Monkey trending UP $$

Same here. As soon as they say, "please, dont forget to....."; I'm out!!
its like dude, i didn't forget, i just ain't taking the nanosecond it takes to do it.

These bad monkeys used to be in the used section of every gear place that had a used section. never over $50. probably tons of pawn shops out there with these, that haven't gotten the message yet. Aren't the production numbers on these pretty high too? its not like they're uncommon or ever were.

its like dude, i didn't forget, i just ain't taking the nanosecond it takes to do it.

These bad monkeys used to be in the used section of every gear place that had a used section. never over $50. probably tons of pawn shops out there with these, that haven't gotten the message yet. Aren't the production numbers on these pretty high too? its not like they're uncommon or ever were.
Yes they are almost as common as a metal zone I'd think. Just like there are way too many dollars in circulation to be valuable anymore.

Honestly, as far as EQ'd Tube Screamers go, I think there are better options.

As someone said, the Hardwire version is just overall better.

Then there's the Wampler Clarksdale, the Duncan 805, the MXR Badass OD, the fancier ones like those old VFE's, the KHDK Ghoul Screamer, the Green Rhino. I think the only thing the Bad Monkey really brings to the table is the bass control, but other Tube Screamers do that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: rsm
plenty of options for OD pedals with bass and treble controls under $100; EHX Crayon, TCE MojoMojo.

Years ago I ditched my EHX Soul Food which was my favorite, for a cheap Mooer GEQ pedal; my HX Effects has several, including Hermida Zen Drive;

these days I use my Source Audio EQ2 pedal in front of my tube amps; works great as a clean boost, and boosting/cutting. Thought about the MXR 10-band EQ as it has volume and gain controls...

EQ > OD. IMO

plenty of options for OD pedals with bass and treble controls under $100; EHX Crayon, TCE MojoMojo.

Years ago I ditched my EHX Soul Food which was my favorite, for a cheap Mooer GEQ pedal; my HX Effects has several, including Hermida Zen Drive;

these days I use my Source Audio EQ2 pedal in front of my tube amps; works great as a clean boost, and boosting/cutting. Thought about the MXR 10-band EQ as it has volume and gain controls...

EQ > OD. IMO
Depends on what you want to do. The Mojo Mojo sounds NOTHING like a Tube Screamer even if you set it to a mid hump.

Part of the Tube Screamer's "secret" special sauce is that it blends the clean and the distorted signal. So it preserves attack and clarity to an extent compared if you use something that's almost hard clipped (like the Mojo Mojo). Kinda like a Klon, except a Klon achieves it differently.

That's why an EQ pedal won't do the same either even if you set it to the exact same EQ curve.

I'm not a big fan of boosting with GEQ's personally. I prefer my boosts simple where there's less stuff to tweak. I mean with a TS, you basically set the gain knob to 0, the level knob to 10 and just play with the tone to fit the amp it's boosting and what you're going for. But I'd honestly love to try an OD-1 just for the simplicity of not even having to tweak that, LOL. Not saying EQ doesn't work and that you shouldn't use them. I just find that with them it's just as easy to screw up your tone as to get it sounding good. And they definitely don't do the same thing.

Then again, I read you're trying to "clean boost" your amps. A Tube Screamer style is definitely not clean even with the gain at 0.

Reactions: rsm
Had TWO Bad Monkeys when i was starting out. New out the door they were $35-40 at GC.

In retrospect the bass knob WAS dope. I didnt watch the full jhs vid but im not kidding when i say i had been surfing for a deal on one of these and then i saw the vid LOL. Like the dod250, it will now take 18-24 months for the pricing mania to come back down.

Why in the hell do guys pay so much for something that sold like, i dunno, at least 25,000 units??

D3377F24-854E-460A-B7EA-8472A83F36A4.jpeg

Meh,.. no thank you

A Bad Monkey showed up on my local Facebook . I messaged him to see how much he ended up with. Said he sold it to guitar center for $100. I have one i'm putting up. Only paid $40 for it new. I only use it to boost a mark 3. I have several other boosts that sound close enough to me. Whatever I get for it will be a good profit. Now he needs to do a video on the M13.:giggle:

seems Josh's vid on EQ pedals didn't create the same kind of frenzy

That’s the thing that throws all the “Josh is working the market to his advantage” comments in the trash; the dude makes videos on shitloads of pedals regularly, seems pretty arbitrary which ones blow up. The only thing he’s doing intentionally is making videos on pedals, it’s the internet guitarists with emotional attachments to gear that blow the shit up.

And really, that’s the GearTuber situation in a nutshell, but people are so hellbent on finding something to take an issue with it extends into everything they do. “My hobby and passion is playing guitar….let me go find some shit to bitch about and inject some negativity into the thing I really love” :rolleyes:

That’s the thing that throws all the “Josh is working the market to his advantage” comments in the trash; the dude makes videos on shitloads of pedals regularly, seems pretty arbitrary which ones blow up. The only thing he’s doing intentionally is making videos on pedals, it’s the internet guitarists with emotional attachments to gear that blow the shit up.

And really, that’s the GearTuber situation in a nutshell, but people are so hellbent on finding something to take an issue with it extends into everything they do. “My hobby and passion is playing guitar….let me go find some shit to bitch about and inject some negativity into the thing I really love” :rolleyes:
well, I'm sure Josh is aware of the general hysteria in the guitar community around real Klon pedals. Compare any pedal to a real Klon and demonstrate it favorably, it's bound to create a demand for whatever it is. and Josh, like TPS, has a large following, they can easily move the guitar pedal market.

Like I posted, Burgs did a real klon vs bad monkey comparison video 13 years ago, and it went unnoticed.

It's not the first time Josh increased demand for a pedal just because he demonstrated / compared / talked about it. Many guitarists are herd animals.

Haha, I bought two Digitech Bad Monkey pedals for $ 20.00 each at a local pawn shop and I tried it out .... not bad, but it's way better than Klon .

I have two multi effects on my pedalboard and a rack processor.
One floor unit has four types of overdrive, distortion , the other has seven types and my rack processor has twelve.

I can use a little from unit #1, a little from #2 or use the twelve dual analog or tube distortions, overdrives or fuzzes in my rack and have endless combinations by running them as one or just gain stack .

Last edited:
Back