The best combo amp for metal (smaller gigs obviously)

nightlight

With everyone playing in smaller and smaller bars these days, and often without backline support, I was wondering what you guys thought was the best combo amp for metal in these types of gigs.

I have limited experience, but my vote goes to the PRS Archon 25-watt combo. I used to own the 50-watt combo and this thing used to slay it, and was just a bit lower in volume.

For the record, I've tried the Victory Kraken, the PRS MT-15 and the Mesa Boogie Mark V:25. This thing is leagues ahead of them, imho.

I just got the Archon 50 v2 50 watt combo.
Honestly, the thing is so good, I wouldn't be lacking much if it were my only amp.
The combo sounds near as good as plugged into a Bogner OS2x12. The gain channel has plenty of gain, but isn't mushy. The clean channel is nice, takes pedals well for crunchy sounds. It's def worth the $ to have as a grab n go that you don't have to worry about getting messed up.
The only think I don't like about it, it's noisy. I have some static noises all the time, and a bit of hum with effects in the loop. Kind of a bummer, but can't complain for the $900 I spent.

Favorite I've played is the (cheap) Peavey 6505+ 1x12 60W sealed combo. You can pick them up for around $500 and it's the only combo I've played that's legit for high gain sounds. (Given that you may want to swap out the Sheffield with a better speaker..)

Favorite I've played is the (cheap) Peavey 6505+ 1x12 60W sealed combo. You can pick them up for around $500 and it's the only combo I've played that's legit for high gain sounds. (Given that you may want to swap out the Sheffield with a better speaker..)
I think the closed back was a substantial part of why those sounded so good. I wish more high gain combos had that as an option.

I had the DC-5 head... And having owned a Mark IV Rev A, still owning a Mark V:25 and a bunch of Engls, I found the DC-5's drive (even after using the same EQ tricks that a Mark requires... Low bass, high treble, fix balance with GEQ... ) still a bit too fuzzy saturated and loose in the lows.
Similar to a Diezel D-Moll.
FWIW, I have the same gripe with my Engl Invader's Channel 4.

Inside of the PRS Archon 50 1x12:

1000008176.jpg

And here's the wire that wasn't properly secured, causing the amp to work intermittently:
1000008177.jpg

I guess these combos are somehow different from the other 5150s and a lot of guys actually prefer these

Splawn Streetrod (don't know if they still make em') was one killer sounding amp I wish I would have kept.....just crazy good sounding.

I'm honestly confused as to how so many people are recommending Mark combos for metal. Open back speakers by their nature are sub-par for metal, and Mark open back combos (especially the short versions) have an especially bad, nasal, boxy high gain tone. IMO if you're going to play a combo for metal it has to be sealed, which is pretty rare in the tube amp world.

If a guy really wanted a small Mesa for metal gigs I'd go with something like a Mark Five 25/35 head, or a Mini Recto or Rectoverb 25 head, & a Recto 1x12 cab. Small, light, great tone, mic it up & you're good. Really, any of the current good-tone lunchbox heads and a good sealed 1x12 and you're set.

I'm honestly confused as to how so many people are recommending Mark combos for metal. Open back speakers by their nature are sub-par for metal, and Mark open back combos (especially the short versions) have an especially bad, nasal, boxy high gain tone. IMO if you're going to play a combo for metal it has to be sealed, which is pretty rare in the tube amp world.

If a guy really wanted a small Mesa for metal gigs I'd go with something like a Mark Five 25/35 head, or a Mini Recto or Rectoverb 25 head, & a Recto 1x12 cab. Small, light, great tone, mic it up & you're good. Really, any of the current good-tone lunchbox heads and a good sealed 1x12 and you're set.
I didn't realize it was open back. Then I would go with rect-o-verb or Mark VII head w/ recto 1x12 cab.

Back