The Diezel Smile Factor and You

ras1988

I have owned most of the big boys in the Diezel lineup. The VH4, the Hagen, and the Herbert MKI. All of them are phenomenal amplifiers and deserve their place at the top of the heap in my opinion. There is a definite mojo/je no sais quoi/smile factor to each of the products whether it is the surprisingly soulful mild gain of the Herbert's channel 2-, or the punishing low mids of the Hagen.

After trying all of these amps out I have concluded the VH4 has the most smile factor for me, even though on paper the Hagen was the better amp it just didn't quite cut the mustard for me, and as fun as the Herbert was it never felt as rewarding as cranking up channel 3 and really letting loose. The hifi and slightly dark channel 1 of the VH4 just worked and channel 4 though saturated just sounded more cohesive and felt usable compared to the other amps' "lead" channels.

I was wondering what your experience is with Diezel and which amp in particular gives you the most smile factor and why.

Herbert for me... Herbert 7 yrs, vh4 2 yrs, Hagen 3years n back to Herbert . Some kind of mojo power w Herbert. No other amp can touch.

Owned a VH4 and currently run a Herbert. Both had HUGE smile factor, but the Herbie is slightly better for what I do.

I will own a VH4 again, though. Killer amp .

-C

Hagen for me.

Said it before and will say it again. VH4 is a great amp but its only that ONE channel (channel 3) that gave me joy! The Hagen gives me the smile factor over all four channels!

Talking about smile factor... I was trying to record something the last few days and I thought I was going insane with crappy software modelling plugins just because I was stuck playing at night. And almost anything I tried, I hated.
Then finally put a mic in front of my dmoll, turned ch1 up and was instantly happy and lots of smiles were had! :)

I got to say, those sweet amps definitely "taint" you for everything that isn't downright stellar! Feels good to be a little Diezel-snobbish! :D

MOOSEHEADS":n7avquus said:
The smile factor of the VH4 is really high. :thumbsup:

Then again I smile anytime I plug into a Diezel. :D

:rock:
This.

But ya, VH4 and Hagen. No problem :D

Cranked Hagen in ch 2 or 3 with a Les Paul. How somebody described it: "it melts all the space around..." :LOL: :LOL:

Though, the VH4 is in my to buy list.... And VH4 is also smile factor guaranteed.

The last VH4 Peter sent me with 6550's blows my socks off. Channel 3 is good as always, but Channel 4 peels paint. This amp has that something special and the more it gets broke in, the better it sounds. This was my 4th VH4. Owned a Herbie and a Hagen. Couldn't bond with the Hagen. The D-Moll is still hanging, but is no match for the mighty VH4. May have a new Herbie inbound soon to complete the Diezel Trifecta.

I've only ever played Herbie and an Einstein, but the Herbert just did it for me. Never have I heard an amp push as much air as the Herbert when you open it up!

I was looking for a versatile amp, and was suggested to try a Marshall jvm. I did and was very pleased with it...
Then, I tried the Einstein combo. Blew the jvm miles away...

Back