The EQ Pedal thread

OK, lets start an actual EQ Pedal thread ;)

I'm looking for an EQ pedal to put in the loop of my Splawn Quick Rod. I'm prooooobably mostly going to use it to help dial in a better clean tone, BUT the EQ pedal will definitely NOT be on all the time.

Here's the tricky thing - my noise gate has a great buffer, and it will be running in front of my amp and in the loop simutaneously. The ISP Decimator G-String is built to always be ran FIRST in the chain, so the guitar plugs directly into it. After that, there will be 5 or 6 TBP pedals in front (Turbo Tuner>Wah>Draconis clean boost>YJM308>Keeley TS9DX Flexi... and soon maybe a HW phaser after Wah), and 3 or 4 pedals in the loop (EQ>HW Chorus>HW Delay... and soon maybe a HW Reverb after EQ).

So - the EQ will essentially be first in the loop with only 2 other true bypass pedals behind it. Therefore, it would be good if I could find something TBP (Please, save me the lectures on how TBP doesn't help. I know the pros/cons of TBP pedal chains already.). That being said, the only TBP EQ I know of that is out there is the Biyang EQ-7 band EQ ( https://cgi.ebay.com/BIYANG-EQ7-7-BAND-G ... 35b044a435 ). This looks like a fine pedal, but I'm not sold on this pedal alone.

In summary - I don't want to exhaust my options, and am looking for a quality pedal. If buffered, it should have a strong buffer, and it should not be noisy. It WILL be ran off most of the time. A modded MXR would be cool, but I haven't been able to find anyone that mods them so far. TBP would be good to have, if possible.

Are you using anything in a rack with an audio loop to kick it in and out? If so, you should really check out an old Furman PQ-3. I picked this green face one up off ebay, and bought another the other day. You can grab them for about $200-$300. They take line level or instrument level input to run in front of the amp or in the loop.

IMG_1372.jpg

Another option, and the ONLY EQ pedal I have found worth considering for use in front of the amp is this Boss twin. It has two pedals for programmed and user presets.

IMG_0935-1.jpg

Steve

Funny, I almost pulled the trigger on an MXR 10-band tonight. Almost. Is there something wrong with these when stock? Like lots'o noise for use in front of the amp? And who mods them to make them better?

Thanks,

Matt

The MXR 10 band EQs are fine sound wise, dont really understand why anyone would want to mod them, but the bypass circuit is unacceptable for a production unit. As are most MXR pedals IMO. They are SMD based, so you wont really find people modifying them anyway. If you plan on always keeping your EQ on, it is a great pedal and will fit the bill nicely. Or just run it in a TB loop.

moltenmetalburn":1cv2w56h said:
Vfe pedals rocket eq with boost or empress para eq in that order are my favorite pedal eqs.

Thanks dude. I will DEF look into those.

No, I don't run rack gear. Kinda wouldn't be economical to have a rack just for EQ, which brings me to my next statement...

...regarding the TBP looper. I don't want to go through the trouble of running TBP looper(s) just for one pedal :aww: Trying to think economical here.

ShredHeadJHJ":qttetyxt said:
What is parametric EQ exactly, BTW? Is it essentially a 3-band EQ?

Yes, but you can move the frequency centers and also make the boost/cut "wide", effecting a greater range of frequencies around the center freq, or "narrow", which does the opposite. This parameter is called "Q". It looks like the Empress has 3 Q settings - narrow, medium, and wide, with all three bands having variable frequency centers. It looks like a nice box to me.

You can definitely get more precise with a parametric, but it is not as intuitive to use as a graphic EQ.

ShredHeadJHJ":2xmktkjy said:
moltenmetalburn":2xmktkjy said:
Vfe pedals rocket eq with boost or empress para eq in that order are my favorite pedal eqs.

Thanks dude. I will DEF look into those.

No, I don't run rack gear. Kinda wouldn't be economical to have a rack just for EQ, which brings me to my next statement...

...regarding the TBP looper. I don't want to go through the trouble of running TBP looper(s) just for one pedal :aww: Trying to think economical here.

Not sure what "trouble" using a TBP looper is. If it's pedal board real estate, using something like the mxr or boss + a TBP would be smaller than some of the other EQs available. If by economical you mean $, you can get a TBP loop pedal thats smaller than your cell phone for about $35 from many places. Just one example: http://www.this1smyne.com/product_list/ ... ypass-box/

I haven't found anything that beats my Sniper-modded GE-7. Have tried an MXR KFK 10-band, newer MXR 6-band, vintage MXR 6-band, DOD FX40, 80's Ibanez GE9, and Dano Fish & Chips. Keep coming back to the Boss. Also have a vintage Boss GE-10, and it's great if you're looking for an always on solution.

Back