The mothership has landed!

rsm

Box was damaged, long deep cut completely through the box; no visible signs of damage, hope it all works...

I have organs, stage keyboards, synths, MIDI keyboards/controllers, but this is something different that I've wanted for quite some time but have been putting off.

Korg Pa5X-76

Pa5X.png

That is impressive looking, congrats man. Have you used or checked out an Ensoniq ASR-10?
I Had an EPS then an ASR-10, both of which I expanded to the max, back in the '90s.

The OP's acquisition is something altogether-different in that it's an arranger keyboard.

These past few years this flavour of workstation has come on in leaps and bounds. If money were no object I'd have one for sure.

Congrats! A friend of mine died a few years ago and his family gave me his musical gear, including a Korg M1-R. I don't play keys and it's old, but it sure does sound good!

Yup, the M1 that the rack was based on was an all-time classic ROMpler.

I don't know if I should keep it and have to deal with servicing it eventually and I don't know if it makes sense to learn the old technology that the M1R is based on.

Korg makes software that emulates the M1. Maybe I should get that instead.

I don't know if I should keep it and have to deal with servicing it eventually and I don't know if it makes sense to learn the old technology that the M1R is based on.

Some vintage keyboards are in demand by collectors, and those who want the real thing. Worth seeing what the going price is IMO

I Had an EPS then an ASR-10, both of which I expanded to the max, back in the '90s.

The OP's acquisition is something altogether-different in that it's an arranger keyboard.

These past few years this flavour of workstation has come on in leaps and bounds. If money were no object I'd have one for sure.
Agreed, the i3 is a little dated and limited compared to what's out there now in arrangers.

Korg and Yamaha both have new-ish low and mid-tier offerings, but I think only the Korg Pa5X and Yamaha Genos 2 allow you to create your own styles, beats, bass lines, and chord sequences, etc. Both are software upgradable, so additional styles and capabilities can be added; and have add-on expansion packs.

I considered getting a mid-tier offering but those aren't cheap either; also the 61-key Korg costs a few hundred less; the Genos 2 is only 76-key...I've been putting this off awhile and finally spent the money. The Genos 2 is newer (2023 release) than the Pa5X (2022 release) so it was tough to decide.

I miss keyboards in hard rock songs. Rainbow in the Dark is probably my favorite song ever.
same, especially the prog rock era: Jon Lord, Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson; and many of the '80s new wave bands with synths and keys; also today, Jordan Rudess is probably my fave out there. Wakeman did a prog-inspired album a few years ago that was very good in an old school way.

same, especially the prog rock era: Jon Lord, Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson; and many of the '80s new wave bands with synths and keys; also today, Jordan Rudess is probably my fave out there. Wakeman did a prog-inspired album a few years ago that was very good in an old school way.
Yeah, I love the mix of late 70’s, early 80’s synths and a crisp rock guitar.

It wouldn't do any harm to explore the hardware unit mate. Arm yourself with the manual if you can.

Don't forget Derek; he's more-unpredictable IMHO.

Agreed, the i3 is a little dated and limited compared to what's out there now in arrangers.

Korg and Yamaha both have new-ish low and mid-tier offerings, but I think only the Korg Pa5X and Yamaha Genos 2 allow you to create your own styles, beats, bass lines, and chord sequences, etc. Both are software upgradable, so additional styles and capabilities can be added; and have add-on expansion packs.

I considered getting a mid-tier offering but those aren't cheap either; also the 61-key Korg costs a few hundred less; the Genos 2 is only 76-key...I've been putting this off awhile and finally spent the money. The Genos 2 is newer (2023 release) than the Pa5X (2022 release) so it was tough to decide.
Yup. I've watched heaps of youtube reviews 'cause the algorithm started throwing them at me on my telemavision.

Reactions: rsm
Back