The Originals

steve_k

Snagged this original CCV from Todd. Just got it today. Plug and play! So, this is what a proper, original Cameron CCV sounds like :rock:

I will be the first to validate what Dave and some others have said - the originals do have a bit of different character to them as compared to the production amp. And, this is to be expected, to an extent, and by no means does it downplay then new ones.

A few quick observations that struck me as soon as I fired it up:

1) The original is a little tighter, more open, fills the room a little better.
2) Less compressed, less saturated and projects a little more.
3) It doesn't have the drive switch clipping options that the new one's do, but that is OK.
4) Articulates better on the top end at decent gain levels and doesn't clip as I find the production models do somewhat.
5) The fan rocks and adds tone!
6) Analog switching between channels and solo master.
7) Don't care much for the insert loop though.

Busy the next few days with getting ready for gigs this weekend. But, I will definitely get around to some clips to compare.

Steve

IMG_2114.jpg

Steve, to read your review, one would conclude that you are saying the originals do in fact sound better.

"The original is a little tighter, more open, fills the room a little better."
"Less compressed, less saturated and projects a little more."
"Articulates better on the top end at decent gain levels and doesn't clip as I find the production models do somewhat."
"Analog switching between channels and solo master."

Those 4 points suggest "better" to me.

Not that I care, as I don't have an original to compare my CCV to and, quite frankly, I am perfectly happy with how mine sounds.

Just looking to clarify, is all.....

rlord1974":2bjsigi7 said:
Steve, to read your review, one would conclude that you are saying the originals do in fact sound better.

"Articulates better on the top end at decent gain levels and doesn't clip as I find the production models do somewhat."

Not that I care, as I don't have an original to compare my CCV to and, quite frankly, I am perfectly happy with how mine sounds.

Maybe this one does but their are inconsistencies to the older models from what I understand. I believe the old one Steve had may not have been as good. I know that amp made allot of rounds on resales. Maybe Steve is just giving his thoughs on the older one he has now. An old versus new would be a futile comparison because of the inconsistencies in the old.

The insert loop is okay...but you have to compensate for the volume drop and the high end cut. I find I can get get back to the non-loop sound with a few knob turns."[/quote said:
I found that using VERY short patch cables in the CCV loop takes care of the volume/high end problem. I only notice the high end cut and volume drop when using longer cables.... :confused:

steve_k":1abvu8av said:
Snagged this original CCV from Todd. Just got it today. Plug and play! So, this is what a proper, original Cameron CCV sounds like :rock:

I will be the first to validate what Dave and some others have said - the originals do have a bit of different character to them as compared to the production amp. And, this is to be expected, to an extent, and by no means does it downplay then new ones.

A few quick observations that struck me as soon as I fired it up:

1) The original is a little tighter, more open, fills the room a little better.
2) Less compressed, less saturated and projects a little more.
3) It doesn't have the drive switch clipping options that the new one's do, but that is OK.
4) Articulates better on the top end at decent gain levels and doesn't clip as I find the production models do somewhat.
5) The fan rocks and adds tone!
6) Analog switching between channels and solo master.
7) Don't care much for the insert loop though.

Busy the next few days with getting ready for gigs this weekend. But, I will definitely get around to some clips to compare.

Steve

You forgot that this has a better color for the Power-On light.

psychodave":176cqzrn said:
glip22":176cqzrn said:
rlord1974":176cqzrn said:

Maybe this one does but their are inconsistencies to the older models from what I understand. I believe the old one Steve had may not have been as good. I know that amp made allot of rounds on resales. Maybe Steve is just giving his thoughs on the older one he has now. An old versus new would be a futile comparison because of the inconsistencies in the old.

I find that the "inconsistency" argument not very accurate. Every amp has tonal differences due to part differences/tolerances. Steve's older one, the Steve K, is the only CCV Ive heard ( through hearsay) wasnt that great... but based on what? Brad posted that it sounded killer. ;)

+1 to what Dave said. I've owned 2 and they sounded very similar if not the same.

The OG ccv without the drive switch are my personal favorites of the amps....OG ccv with drive switch seems to lose that little extra something in the Feel of the old ccv without it . New production ccv is totally a different thing all together and I've owned all 3....just my humble little "opinion" and does'nt mean a damn thing as to whether one is better than the other

It's just the CCV evolution. Not really a point to be made, as both are good. One would have to expect an original hand-wired to be different. Whether it is to one's satisfaction, that is totally subjective. That said, the original does sound somewhat better to my ears and easier to set up across both channels. Just seems a little livelier and more open. But, when I have time, I will try and set them up the same and see then.

Yeah, same tubes if possible would make the comparison more interesting. Not sure why people don't like the new white jewel light, I think it's cool... :D

se7en":3avb5vlp said:
Yeah, same tubes if possible would make the comparison more interesting. Not sure why people don't like the new white jewel light, I think it's cool... :D
I put a 44 bulb in mine with a fender red jewell. Looks killer and bright.

glip22":2y0bsnzw said:
se7en":2y0bsnzw said:

Cool, Gary. Pic? Btw, I have a CCV on order... :rock:

My older CCV has the drive switch, but I never use it. I just leave it one position and don't mess with it. On my amp, it's right below the channel switch on the far right side.

I find with the drive switch left or right on the CCV that the clipping gets overwhelming, depending on the master gain and bright switch placement. I run it to the left with the gains fairly low and brights centered. For the most part though, at decent volumes though, I don't find I need it too much. With the original, it is one less trace to pass through and may add to the clarity of the amp, in comparison. Hell, they are all good though.

Steve

glip22":2ca564e7 said:
se7en":2ca564e7 said:

Because it'll blind you if you look directly at it. :LOL: :LOL:

I swapped out with a red fender jewel too.

My new CCV's jewel light casing looks white, but when the amp is on, it actually glows an almost orange colour. Is that what you guys have on your new CCVs, or did they (Brad/Rob/Mark) swap out the bulbs after the numerous complaints when the first 5 amps shipped with the retina-searing white jewel lights? :confused:

rlord1974":2th6xvpq said:
My new CCV's jewel light casing looks white, but when the amp is on, it actually glows an almost orange colour. Is that what you guys have on your new CCVs, or did they (Brad/Rob/Mark) swap out the bulbs after the numerous complaints when the first 5 amps shipped with the retina-searing white jewel lights? :confused:
The original few had 44 bulbs in them. They swapped them to #47;s.

I found this buffered interface from LASD helps out the loop woes tremendously. Has two modes of buffering and stereo/mono returns with direct and ISO out. They made these for tackling the mono/stereo issues on a pedal board with a buffered throughput but it works like a Suhr Mini-Mix for turning an insert or series loop into something more parallel. Had to dig deep in the bin to find it, but it works well.

Steve

Aviarylasounddesign-netPicture1.png

Back