The RedPlate Magica is a cool amp!

I stated the fact that it was my opinion. Don’t have to agree. The MC25 was not so good for ME but perhaps I would dig the mc2 100. I just did not find the 25 to be what the hype led me to believe. Had it for a week. Used it with a band once. Went back to a Suhr Bella with pedals.
In that TGP thread I linked your opinions on it were full of praise, while your amp was in the classifieds. Upon selling it, the opinion turned around 180 degrees. Classic pump'n'dump underhanded tactics. Guys like you really irk me. Enjoy the next 1000 amps you'll inevitably cycle through while chasing your tail. Hey, that's why you're the tonedog! Now shoo away to your doghouse and enjoy some Alpo because we don't like the smell of piss inside this house.

In that TGP thread I linked your opinions on it were full of praise, while your amp was in the classifieds. Upon selling it, the opinion turned around 180 degrees. Classic pump'n'dump underhanded tactics. Guys like you really irk me. Enjoy the next 1000 amps you'll inevitably cycle through while chasing your tail. Hey, that's why you're the tonedog! Now shoo away to your doghouse and enjoy some Alpo because we don't like the smell of piss inside this house.
😂😂😂

I was in contact with RedPlate a couple of years back when they had to downsize the business, and I was ready to get a Magica. I'd heard them at the LA Amp Show with a V30, but Keith had ordered a 1/2 dozen Scumback speakers for clients. Then a few of those clients wound up ordering more Scumbacks for their other amps after hearing the versatility of the Magica with my speakers...hell... even the V30 wasn't annoying me, and you all know how I dislike V30's!

So thanks to this thread, and now that I'm in Prescott, AZ... I just shot RP an email to discuss getting a Magica head. Considering how many different amps, and cabs I have, I wouldn't be looking to buy if it wasn't a seriously good amp that I already had covered. End of story.

As for Rick and the Wizard amps, I've heard one MC25, it's a decent amp, too, but not as versatile in my experience as the Magica.

Jim

Last edited:
There is Fender, Vox, and Marshall and then there is everyone else.

Shout out to Peavey, Mesa, and Soldano

For the price of the redplate you could own a JCM800 and a Fender.

One thing though; if you haven’t played a REAL Wizard(ie 100w) then I don’t feel you’ve played the best offering. I had a 50w 2012 MTL, nice amp but the 100w that I owned, that was a damn carnival ride. I’m sure the 25w is cool but it ain’t no 100. Not just volume but girth, punch, just a huge sound even at lower volumes

How do you even have the balls to state a 100 watt Redplate is "far better" than a 25 watt Wizard? Fuck, my Marshall 1959HW was far better than the SV20. LOL
I can't believe a fucking adult would make such an assholish claim. Funny how this was posted at the same time the Redplate co revived production.
SHILL

I owned a Magica 100 for a while. It was an awesome amp. Unfortunately, I was amp heavy during the pandemic and sold it. I would have opted for a slightly dirtier OD1 channel like Steve did if I were to buy one again. The only thing I would like to see to make it the perfect amp for me is a reactive load with I.R.'s like my PT-15 I.R.

I absolutely love red plates stuff (their 4x12 is my forever cab) and the Magicka is a fantastic amp.

But it's going for a different feel, sound, and style than an Mc25 or indeed any other wizard that I know about.

I don't understand how these amps are in competition with each other in any way besides that you like the RP better, @tonedog

Cool. I like my Larry Dino better than a wizard, but wizards are still great amps. I can see how they would be great for lots of players. Especially cutting through a mix in a loud and heavy band.

*Shrug*

This post is really confusing. Are we just going to all make posts shitting on an amp that wasn't for us, in praise of the amp that was?

Just in !! The Bogner mini!! Very cool!

Attachments

• 024FE590-0E57-46D1-9DB4-4F20FD4A670C.jpeg
    024FE590-0E57-46D1-9DB4-4F20FD4A670C.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 47
I've owned many great amps but there is something in the feel of a Wizard that I've not achieved in anything else. There is an articulation, a crunch, and an immediacy in the attack that is unique. I've owned five 100 watters and the MC25 and while I liked the tone of the MC25 best, it does not have the impact of the big boys.

I've owned many great amps but there is something in the feel of a Wizard that I've not achieved in anything else. There is an articulation, a crunch, and an immediacy in the attack that is unique. I've owned five 100 watters and the MC25 and while I liked the tone of the MC25 best, it does not have the impact of the big boys.
I've only compared the Headfirst MC25 with a real deal 100 but yes, impact is a good word. In general I feel like a pair of EL34's pushing 30W minimum is where the fun starts, I don't think I've every truly been floored by lower wattage designs (for rock and metal).

Glad to hear they're back open for business.

I remember seeing a video from either Kage or Ralph years back, and it sounded interesting; I'd love to give one a spin! :D

I have my MC25 going into Suhr RLIR and then my Bose L1 Pro 32 with the 18” sub. Pretty damn fantastic. I haven’t tried the 150 yet, even though Suhr gave the ok.

I did cook a PS2 once with a Vintage Classic 100. Fryette what amp I was using and were like “awe… yeah”. Sounded great boosted until it started smoking!!! But that’s a massive NMV amp going full bore.

I thought those Redplate amps were geared toward low gain tones while Wizards are high gain? How would they compare?

Just in !! The Bogner mini!! Very cool!
Hey Steve! Thanks for the plug on TGP. I didn't know "the wrath of Carl Fiadino" on the old Harmony Central was so memorable you would be talking about it 20+ years later. You and your buddy Madmax, another shit-talker. Come onto my FB page and run your mouths. A couple of pussies! Funny though, 20 fucking years later, people still hit me up for my opinion. You? not so much.

I still buy amps, play them, etc. Don't really give to much of a shit shilling my current amp across multiple forums, like you.
Typical school-girl posts like "amp A KILLS amp B. Blows it away, crushes, kills, etc.
I lost count of the number of amps you shilled over the course of many years (to this day) Looks like nothing's changed.
Here's a tip, why not just play, act your age. Even the younger guys on Rig-Talk got your number! John Ou and his Bogner laugh at you.

Last edited:
Hey Steve! Thanks for the plug on TGP. I didn't know "the wrath of Carl Fiadino" on the old Harmony Central was so memorable you would be talking about it 20+ years later. You and your buddy Madmax, another shit-talker. Come onto my FB page and run your mouths. A couple of pussies! Funny though, 20 fucking years later, people still hit me up for my opinion. You? not so much.

I still buy amps, play them, etc. Don't really give to much of a shit shilling my current amp across multiple forums, like you.
Typical school-girl posts like "amp A KILLS amp B. Blows it away, crushes, kills, etc.
I lost count of the number of amps you shilled over the course of many years (to this day) Looks like nothing's changed.
Here's a tip, why not just play, act your age. Even the younger guys on Rig-Talk got your number! John Ou and his Bogner laugh at you.
Classic.

Back