There is hot and then........

A

Anonymous

Then there is really really hot.........

I got myself a CCV-100 recently and it started playing up when powering up in the high power mode, it started making a loud cracking noise like a gunshot within 30 seconds ish of it being taken off standby so...

I decide to check the bias on all four power tubes
The amp came to me with four JJ power tubes in it and when I checked the bias the cathode current draw at idle was between 80ma - 85ma on each tube !!
it was biased so hot that it was pulling the plate voltage down to 520 volts in high power mode
I put a set of new winged c in and biased it at 47 ma per tube and the plate voltage then settled in at 550 volts which is where I believe it should be and there are now no more cracking gunshot type noises...

Strangely enough the amp sounded great even when it was biased that hot ... weird.
I did try putting the used JJ back in biased cooler at aroung 47ma but they are still making the cracking sound and I could see the tubes arcing inside the glass envelope when it makes the gunshot noise so I think they are well and truly cooked ..... nevermind :)

CCV's and JJ's don't mix well at all, even in the best conditions. Someone was putting them to the test though.....85mA - dayum! What input voltage are you running the amp at in the UK and are you converting power or is it wired for 220V?

Steve

steve_k":p54ylwp9 said:
CCV's and JJ's don't mix well at all, even in the best conditions. Someone was putting them to the test though.....85mA - dayum! What input voltage are you running the amp at in the UK and are you converting power or is it wired for 220V?

Steve

Hi steve
The amp is wired for usa voltage but I have stepdown transformer that takes the uk 230 wall voltage down to 110v and it seems to working fine now.

would you know if the CCV mains transformer has a tap for 220-230 that can be rewired so I can use it without a stepdown , the amp is the first run CCV-100 that has the RJM gismo
I believe the atomica has a tap that can be rewired internally on the mains tranny but Im not sure if there is one on the CCV
cheers Ian

custom62":3rbscf7j said:
steve_k":3rbscf7j said:

Steve

Hi steve
The amp is wired for usa voltage but I have stepdown transformer that takes the uk 230 wall voltage down to 110v and it seems to working fine now.

would you know if the CCV mains transformer has a tap for 220-230 that can be rewired so I can use it without a stepdown , the amp is the first run CCV-100 that has the RJM gismo
I believe the atomica has a tap that can be rewired internally on the mains tranny but Im not sure if there is one on the CCV
cheers Ian

Depends on the Mercury transformers they used in the production models. You can read the tag on top of the tranny and contact Mercury Magnetics and find out. Most do have dual taps. Some MM's won't though and I am not sure what they bought for these runs. I do know they did make some 220V units and sent to the UK though. If you pull the chassis and see 2 wires from the PT that are spare, it can be converted.

If you are close to Dan Gower, give him a shout and have him look at it. He can change it over for you.

Also, a word of caution for you....those stepdown transformers aren't always reliable or steady. If you have a digital multi-meter, check the output voltage from the step down transformer and see what it is putting out. Most likely, that amp was biased at 110V and about 530V at the plates. They are wired for 120V input and this will give you about 560V PV. If you are seeing 550V and it was biased with something lower, this is where the additional bias current came from.

Steve

Hey Ian,

The problem with JJ tubes is that they are not rated to handle anything higher than 450vdc on the Screens. That is where they end up failing, not from Plate Voltage.

I don't know what the Screen voltage is on the current production CCV's. But 90% of amps out there have the Screens at only a few volts lower than the Plates, so if that's the case with the CCV... Then you're exceeding the maximum Screen voltage of the JJ's. Done that a few times in the past and you get some awful noises coming through, crackling and popping sounds at idle.

Winged C's can handle the high Screen voltages, so you should have no problems at all with those. Stick with them, as they are much more reliable than the JJ's, and they sound much better IMO.

As for the transformer primary taps, you would have to ask Dave Friedman about that one. I don't know if they have both 120v and 230v taps on them.

steve_k":2smrn1h6 said:

Steve

Then why in the hell did they put them in the production CCVs? In know Brad said that is what mMark preferred, but weren't the original CCVs come stock with Winged C's?

MrDan666":2fal1v49 said:
As for the transformer primary taps, you would have to ask Dave Friedman about that one. I don't know if they have both 120v and 230v taps on them.

Hi dan , how you doing mate thanks for the reply
Im off work with holidays till monday with a new amp and guitar to fiddle about with and hopefully another new amp arriving this friday-saturday , Im in heaven :)

metalmaniac93":kru6sq1r said:
steve_k":kru6sq1r said:

Steve

Then why in the hell did they put them in the production CCVs? In know Brad said that is what mMark preferred, but weren't the original CCVs come stock with Winged C's?

I gotta say the JJ did sound very nice in all honesty its just a pity they didnt last...

custom62":3061w38x said:
Hi dan , how you doing mate thanks for the reply
Im off work with holidays till monday with a new amp and guitar to fiddle about with and hopefully another new amp arriving this friday-saturday , Im in heaven :)

Hey Ian,

All is well thanks, hope youre doing great! That sounds like heaven to me haha, congrats on the new gear :rawk:

steve_k":1lxsok1i said:
custom62":1lxsok1i said:
steve_k":1lxsok1i said:

Steve

Hi steve

cheers Ian

Depends on the Mercury transformers they used in the production models. You can read the tag on top of the tranny and contact Mercury Magnetics and find out. Most do have dual taps. Some MM's won't though and I am not sure what they bought for these runs. I do know they did make some 220V units and sent to the UK though. If you pull the chassis and see 2 wires from the PT that are spare, it can be converted.

If you are close to Dan Gower, give him a shout and have him look at it. He can change it over for you.

Also, a word of caution for you....those stepdown transformers aren't always reliable or steady. If you have a digital multi-meter, check the output voltage from the step down transformer and see what it is putting out. Most likely, that amp was biased at 110V and about 530V at the plates. They are wired for 120V input and this will give you about 560V PV. If you are seeing 550V and it was biased with something lower, this is where the additional bias current came from.

Steve

Thanks steve
I will go check the voltage the step down is putting out now and keep an eye on it checking it from time to time
my wall voltages are high anyways and have been since I lived here ...

custom62":q6h335sj said:
metalmaniac93":q6h335sj said:
steve_k":q6h335sj said:

Steve

I gotta say the JJ did sound very nice in all honesty its just a pity they didnt last...

Yeah, I heard they do and actually played through one at the LA Amp show in 2011 and it sounded awesome to me. I am still waiting for my CCV as I am in the 2nd run!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I know some people prefer the Winged Cs in reliability and in sound. The JJs in the Atomica I have sound great!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

steve_k":32ajdxoi said:
custom62":32ajdxoi said:
steve_k":32ajdxoi said:

Steve

Hi steve

cheers Ian

Steve
Hi steve
I just checked the wall voltages and the mains voltage is 254 v today and the step down transformer is putting out a steady 127 v that seems normal for my house
the plate voltage on the CCV is a steady 550v
I will keep an eye on the stepdown voltages just to be safe and see if I can find out if the mains tranny has a uk tap

metalmaniac93":2b36g1rp said:
custom62":2b36g1rp said:
metalmaniac93":2b36g1rp said:
steve_k":2b36g1rp said:

Steve

Yeah, I heard they do and actually played through one at the LA Amp show in 2011 and it sounded awesome to me. I am still waiting for my CCV as I am in the 2nd run!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I know some people prefer the Winged Cs in reliability and in sound. The JJs in the Atomica I have sound great!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I am waiting for an atomica to be delivered by fedex I got a couple of days left yet though....

You are going to love the Atomica!!! It kicks ass!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

What speakers/cabs are you using with the CCV and will use for the Atomica?

custom62":2y3s9rf2 said:
steve_k":2y3s9rf2 said:
custom62":2y3s9rf2 said:
steve_k":2y3s9rf2 said:

Steve

Hi steve

cheers Ian

Steve
Hi steve
I just checked the wall voltages and the mains voltage is 254 v today and the step down transformer is putting out a steady 127 v that seems normal for my house
the plate voltage on the CCV is a steady 550v
I will keep an eye on the stepdown voltages just to be safe and see if I can find out if the mains tranny has a uk tap

WOW! That's a lot of variance in voltage. If you are biased up at 550V, then you should be OK. If you took the amp somewhere and say the wall voltage went to 220V and the step down voltage went to 117V, you could expect to see 520V or so at the plates and your bias fall like a turd. If you can swing it, I would highly recommend and good Furman voltage regulator. Your cycles (Hz) are probably 50 there as opposed to 60. This will contribute as well. Like chasing women (well, back in the day), I am very particular where I stick my plug...... :D Anyway, it will keep your amp together.

SK

metalmaniac93":1nf7z2ow said:

I have got just one cab at this time which is a battered old seventies checkerboard with rola celestion G12 M75 Hz speakers and that works very nicely with the CCV but im also on the hunt for others ...
I want to try some rola celestion G12 H30 but im not sure if I should try the 55Hz or 75Hz .

I also have my eye on quad of pre rola celestion G12 H30 75Hz to go with the atomica but im waiting to hear how much the seller wants for those they are in an original late sixties marshall basket weave cab and I dont know if the seller will sell them seperately or if I will have to buy the cab with the speaker in.... I dont mind either way.

I have tried V30 with the CCV and they didnt work for me

custom62":3efrfpt9 said:
metalmaniac93":3efrfpt9 said:

I have got just one cab at this time which is a battered old seventies checkerboard with rola celestion G12 M75 Hz speakers and that works very nicely with the CCV but im also on the hunt for others ...
I want to try some rola celestion G12 H30 but im not sure if I should try the 55Hz or 75Hz .

I also have my eye on quad of pre rola celestion G12 H30 75Hz to go with the atomica but im waiting to hear how much the seller wants for those they are in an original late sixties marshall basket weave cab and I dont know if the seller will sell them seperately or if I will have to buy the cab with the speaker in.... I dont mind either way.

Ian.......shhhhhh, don't tell anybody, but 2-V30's on bottom and 2-GB's on top is the way to go :thumbsup: forget them nasally H30's.

steve_k":1zbhtshh said:
custom62":1zbhtshh said:
metalmaniac93":1zbhtshh said:

Ian.......shhhhhh, don't tell anybody, but 2-V30's on bottom and 2-GB's on top is the way to go :thumbsup: forget them nasally H30's.

what do you refer to steve 2-GB is that green backs

Steve is referring to the Greenbacks. I do not have my CCV yet, but the H30s did not sound nasally to me when I played the CCV at the LA amp show. Scumbacks are also another option and they sound great with the Atomica.

Back