Thinking about getting back in the game - Modeler + Fryette LX II?

BIGKAHUNA

I've been on the bench for a while and haven't purchased any gear in a few years. I've resigned my self to the fact that I am a forever bedroom player. I should also admit that I really don't have a sophisticated ear for tone. What I do know is that I love the feel of a real tube amp and from reading threads on both the Axe FX III and the Quad Cortex it seems the Modelers may have bridged the "feel" gap to the point that coupled with a real tube power amp a bedroom guy like myself may be perfectly satisfied with that set up. I honestly no longer want a room full of expensive (especially these days) tube amps. I have been there and in that day I loved it but now I want the versatility of all those tones without the space and expense required to get there. I will admit I have always wanted to build a JCM800 kit and still may end up doing that.

I'd like to hear opinions/input on the Axe Fx III and the Quad Cortex in terms of amp in the room feel when paired with the LX II or similar power amps. Reading threads on here it seems the Quad Cortex has the upper hand in ease of use and feel but the basic models if comes with are lacking and doesnt really shine unless your using captures of real amps? I am assuming you can find captures of real amps online for download or purchase for the QC. Honestly I like the rack format over the pedal but form factor wont be a deal breaker.

If there are better options than the LX II I'd be interested in hearing opinions on that as well. The LX II is pricey but if it takes the QC or Axe to the next level of amp in the room feel then it'd be worth it in the long run IMO. Unless there are more cost effective amps that would do the same. Perusing threads on the Fractal forum it seems like the LX II is a cut above. Thanks y'all for any input advice.

With trying to save space all you need is some good 5" monitors.. then you don't need a big cab and can use all the IRs available and have the sound of any cab/speaker combo you want.

I have the AxeFX3 MK2 w/FC-12, Matrix PA, 2 Xitone Passive FRFR wedges and a Mesa Tradition 412. Can really do anything. The Axe has a huge learning curve, there is so much in that unit. Lots of reading and watching videos. It can be a rabbit-hole.

The QC has plugins for the effects part from what I understand - it’s TBD on additional effects and features that make it in the same league as AF3. The QC benefit is in its ability to capture amps. The AF3 has that and more but a different tone and user interface.

I have neither but know that the AF3 really needs attention to aftermarket IRs for cabinets as they really do drive your tone. I’ve read the stock ones aren’t anywhere close to the full potential the AF3 is known for.

I’d choose AF3 if it were me, but if you can wait for the QC to play catch-up, things might change next year.

With trying to save space all you need is some good 5" monitors.. then you don't need a big cab and can use all the IRs available and have the sound of any cab/speaker combo you want
With trying to save space all you need is some good 5" monitors.. then you don't need a big cab and can use all the IRs available and have the sound of any cab/speaker combo you want.
I’ve got a Genz Benz 2x12 now that will stay. I’d be good with a small rack and the 2x12. I honestly dint have any experience with monitors or powered fr/fr’s. Was thinking a power amp and cab would get me closer to the amp in the room feel. Not gonna lie about it - the old school, inexperienced part of me wants that set up though I’m open to other ideas whether they win in the end or not.

I have the AxeFX3 MK2 w/FC-12, Matrix PA, 2 Xitone Passive FRFR wedges and a Mesa Tradition 412. Can really do anything. The Axe has a huge learning curve, there is so much in that unit. Lots of reading and watching videos. It can be a rabbit-hole.
One of the appealing aspects of the QC threads I've read is the fact that it does have a more user friendly interface and appears to be a little less of a rabbit hole that the Axe Fx3. I had the original Axe Fx and I did find myself spending way too much time tweaking as opposed to paying but I think I was trying to dial in the one part that was really missing - the feel....which was never going to happen. Sounds like both Axe and the QC may have overcome that issue.

The QC has plugins for the effects part from what I understand - it’s TBD on additional effects and features that make it in the same league as AF3. The QC benefit is in its ability to capture amps. The AF3 has that and more but a different tone and user interface.

I have neither but know that the AF3 really needs attention to aftermarket IRs for cabinets as they really do drive your tone. I’ve read the stock ones aren’t anywhere close to the full potential the AF3 is known for.

I’d choose AF3 if it were me, but if you can wait for the QC to play catch-up, things might change next year.
The thing with me is I don't really need a ton of high quality effects to be happy. As I mentioned I dont really have a sophisticated ear for tone and have never been big into effects. I tried it - bought shit ton of them back in the day and ended up not using them a whole bunch. Used delay more than I used the rest. Suited my bedroom noodling style LOL.

Seems to me like both units will need some aftermarket attention - the QC from what I've read really comes to life with real life amp captures (assuming those can be had online) and from what the AF3 needs IRs.

The thing with me is I don't really need a ton of high quality effects to be happy. As I mentioned I dont really have a sophisticated ear for tone and have never been big into effects. I tried it - bought shit ton of them back in the day and ended up not using them a whole bunch. Used delay more than I used the rest. Suited my bedroom noodling style LOL.

Seems to me like both units will need some aftermarket attention - the QC from what I've read really comes to life with real life amp captures (assuming those can be had online) and from what the AF3 needs IRs.

I’m with you - nothing will replace my tube amps. I’m looking at the GT1000core or FM3. I want something to run 4CM and my lexicon and damage control delay into externally.

I’ve got a Genz Benz 2x12 now that will stay. I’d be good with a small rack and the 2x12. I honestly dint have any experience with monitors or powered fr/fr’s. Was thinking a power amp and cab would get me closer to the amp in the room feel. Not gonna lie about it - the old school, inexperienced part of me wants that set up though I’m open to other ideas whether they win in the end or not.
if that Genz is ported these may be the perfect speakers for that cab and a modeler like the FM3. I have the FM3 and it kills any other modeler I've owned. Also your choice of the Fryettee LXII I hear is the best for modelers. I've got two of these speakers coming this week. They say they work better in a ported cab
https://celestion.com/product/f12-x200/

if that Genz is ported these may be the perfect speakers for that cab and a modeler like the FM3. I have the FM3 and it kills any other modeler I've owned. Also your choice of the Fryettee LXII I hear is the best for modelers. I've got two of these speakers coming this week. They say they work better in a ported cab
https://celestion.com/product/f12-x200/
Thanks for the heads up - My cab is the G-Flex and is not ported. It's sounded great with the one Marshall(Fortin mod'd VM) I've owned and Mesa's...was hoping for the same result with the LX II paired with either the QC or AF3.

Don’t do it in my opinion. I thought I’d do the same. AXE III is gone. Up to 5 real amps lol.
Oh I completely get where you are coming from. But honestly these days I am easier to please than I was 10 years ago. Like I say...if I can get close to amp in the room the feel with the versatility of about any tone I'm jonesin for at the moment I will be good to go....I think LOL. I really loved my Triple Rec and Stiletto in stereo...it was glorious but probably overkill.

Attachments

• 25491_103426889698684_3590994_n.jpg
    25491_103426889698684_3590994_n.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 34
Oh I completely get where you are coming from. But honestly these days I am easier to please than I was 10 years ago. Like I say...if I can get close to amp in the room the feel with the versatility of about any tone I'm jonesin for at the moment I will be good to go....I think LOL. I really loved my Triple Rec and Stiletto in stereo...it was glorious but probably overkill.
If that is your current cabs.. I think people say the speakers above work well with them. I have a 1960B cab and I've heard they sound great in that too.

I must confess, I do have a JP2C on order to add to my setup.

I've been on the bench for a while and haven't purchased any gear in a few years. I've resigned my self to the fact that I am a forever bedroom player. I should also admit that I really don't have a sophisticated ear for tone. What I do know is that I love the feel of a real tube amp and from reading threads on both the Axe FX III and the Quad Cortex it seems the Modelers may have bridged the "feel" gap to the point that coupled with a real tube power amp a bedroom guy like myself may be perfectly satisfied with that set up.
The feel is where they suffer most IMO. If you love the feel of a tube amp, it's going to be a difficult thing to replace. I don't mind some of the Kemper tones I've captured, but it doesn't feel great to play, or all that inspiring. Same experience with the Axe and QC.

Others claim they feel great, I've just not had that experience after many many attempts in both home and professional environments.

The feel is where they suffer most IMO. If you love the feel of a tube amp, it's going to be a difficult thing to replace. I don't mind some of the Kemper tones I've captured, but it doesn't feel great to play, or all that inspiring. Same experience with the Axe and QC.

Others claim they feel great, I've just not had that experience after many many attempts in both home and professional environments

Appreciate you input for sure. I have pretty much decided to take this route so I am hoping that the tech advancements of the modelers give me more of the feel I was lacking with the original Axe Fx. I have still have a small tube amp - a PRS MT15 - and Will probably go through with a JCM 800 Kit build at some point. If I do the 800 kit I'll dump the PRS or give it away to my niece (who I hear is taking lessons and blowing away her teacher).

Appreciate you input for sure. I have pretty much decided to take this route so I am hoping that the tech advancements of the modelers give me more of the feel I was lacking with the original Axe Fx. I have still have a small tube amp - a PRS MT15 - and Will probably go through with a JCM 800 Kit build at some point. If I do the 800 kit I'll dump the PRS or give it away to my niece (who I hear is taking lessons and blowing away her teacher).
Ok cool man, hope you find what you're looking for.

Having a JCM800 around as an emergency backup sounds pretty rock n' roll to me :rock:

I had an Axe-Fx II for probably eight years or so but git rid of it last year. I kept using the Friedman amp emulation and nothing else. Once I got my JJ Jr., I just started running that into my monitors and recording software and happy with the results. Beyond that, I've had better luck with "amp like" pedals going into a cab emulation DI.

I am back with amps again and glad. Loved the Fractal stuff but better for my ADD having an amp again. Lol

I had an Axe-Fx II for probably eight years or so but git rid of it last year. I kept using the Friedman amp emulation and nothing else. Once I got my JJ Jr., I just started running that into my monitors and recording software and happy with the results. Beyond that, I've had better luck with "amp like" pedals going into a cab emulation DI.

I am back with amps again and glad. Loved the Fractal stuff but better for my ADD having an amp again. Lol
Sounds like you got some good mileage out of the AF2 for a while even if you it was around one tone. I'm hoping for similar results as honestly these days I'm much easier to please. Have you tried the AF3? Would be interested in hearing what you thought about the differences and value versus cost difference. I'll probably always have one tube amp.

Gotta tell you was reading the post in your sig and got a little shook up when I research and read up on the one by Splatter. I had Covid Pneumonia in September. Was on the vent for a little over a week and the hospital and inpatient rehab for a month and half. Docs didn't expect me to live, prepared my wife for that conclusion...…just an unbelievable nightmare. Like Splatter I too requested Ivermectin or HCQ prior to being in bad enough shape that I have to be intubated and was told no......still pissed off about to this day. Prayers for all that loved Splatter.

I'd like to hear opinions/input on the Axe Fx III and the Quad Cortex in terms of amp in the room feel when paired with the LX II or similar power amps. Reading threads on here it seems the Quad Cortex has the upper hand in ease of use and feel but the basic models if comes with are lacking and doesnt really shine unless your using captures of real amps?

This is both right or wrong depending on how you look at it. Neural promised a lot of modeled amps at release.
They only delivered about half for now, but everything anyone could need is covered. Fender, Vox, Marshall,
Diezel, Bogner, Mesa Boogie, Hi-Watt, Roland JC, and many more.

And the ration of great to good is about equal between captures and models. I have 8 presets and 3 are stock
models and 5 are captures.

People saying those things about the Quad just haven't used one yet and are commenting purely on Neural not
delivering on all promises at launch.

Back