Thinking about getting my first Rectifier, I’m slightly confused.

Soundstorm

So after many years as an amp slut, I’ve somehow never managed to own a Recto. I may have played one or two briefly over the years, but for some reason I can’t explain I’ve always written Rectos off this whole time. I think I might be ready to change that.

But with the different revisions, channel count, new Badlander series, I’m not sure where to even start looking. What’s the best recto for droptuned metal?

So after many years as an amp slut, I’ve somehow never managed to own a Recto. I may have played one or two briefly over the years, but for some reason I can’t explain I’ve always written Rectos off this whole time. I think I might be ready to change that.

But with the different revisions, channel count, new Badlander series, I’m not sure where to even start looking. What’s the best recto for droptuned metal?
Single in my opinion

The Rev C is the best one. They got progressively a bit worse as the revisions went on minus the green mode being the one thing that actually improved. It’s just a matter of budget and what you can find. The Badlander is tighter and brighter than other Recto’s, but also a lot thinner sounding and the 100w version can be a little congested sounding sometimes

The Hermansson Recto’s are great for something different and super tight. The other recent Recto mods might also be interesting, but you still wanna get the best donor amp you can for any of them to optimize the results

I wouldn't consider badlander a true recto. It's not the 'recto sound' we all know and many love.

Apparently the current multi-watts are killer, i haven't played one myself.
I do prefer the rev g's and rev f's to the early 2000's 3ch models (pre multi-watts)

^that really is the best answer

I have a Single Recotoverb and now a Dual Rev G. I have not played the other revisions but there are some super smart Recto experts on this board that will chime in. Some of those same dudes helped me make my decision. The C and G are somewhat on the opposite sides of the spectrum with C being tighter and more focused and the G being bigger sounding and wider. The G is probably also what got recorded the most in your favorite albums. I got my G for $1,400 but if you can find an affordable C or F, they are more rare. That's my measly .311 cents. :LOL:

Single in my opinion
I would agree that my Single is tighter than my Dual. Just not as wide and full sounding.

Last edited:
The Rev F was my favorite, but it's mostly a 1-trick pony. The Roadster is killer, super versatile and even though it's one of the looser versions, I really like its voicing because it sounds huge without being overly flubby. With the price of 2-channels now, I'd suggest the Multiwatt instead. It has way more sounds in it and they're cheaper than a run of the mill Rev G.

I am not the rectifier expert. With that said I have owned a C, D, F, 3 channel triple, and currently have 2 Rev G triple rectifiers sitting next to me.

The G is the rectifier sound most people are familiar with. I would just get the cheapest dual rectifier (not a badlander) and see if you like it. Probably a multiwatt or a rev G. I saw one online for 1650 today. Try it, pair it up with a ts9 and a dirty tree. If you like it then you can explore if you want to start spending 3k+ for more rare and exotic versions.

Get a rev g or tremoverb and boost it… a tc preamp style pedal is my preference. That is THE rectifier sound in my opinion. If you love that, go after all the different revisions and stuff. I’d start there to see if you dig it or not because the g is the rectifier sound you’ve heard on dozens of albums.

If you’re new to the Recto world, don’t bother spending thousands on anything Ref F and lower that snobs are directing you towards. It’s silly.

Grab a 2000’s dual or triple, since they’re the cheapest, hook up your favorite boost pedal for the orange and red channels and take it from there. You’ll know whether or not the amp is for you. If so, THEN you can refine your taste after and ask again about the now expensive revisions.

Also, as others stated, stay away from badlander. Not a true recto IMO.

You sneaky fucker. Well worded variation of “School me on Recto’s”. Maybe about half the archived pages on this site are recto schoolin’ 😂
1711605624634.jpeg

I have a rev F, 2 Rev Gs, a 3 channel, and a trem-o-verb. They can all do the thing. For me rev G will always be #1. Very responsive to different boosts.

If I were just getting into it now I'd get a rev G or multi-watt Dual. The other stuff like rev F is cool but not necessary and likely not any better for what you're wanting it for.

RevC, D and E are more like unicorns and really hard to get, so the prices are insane on those. I woudn`t recommend them to a recto novice unless you find on for a very good price.
RevF and RevG should be more up your alley, with RevG being the classic recto tone from the 90ies.
First gen of the 3 channels are considered the fizziest and losest of the bunch.
The new MW 3 channels updated the "complains" most people had about the first gen 3 channels as being tighter and less fizzy.

If you want raw tone, go for a RevG (or RevF), if you want versatility like a nice dedicated clean channel, go for a MW.

The only Recto I couldn’t get along with was a triple channel, not sure which revision/year it was, I got it used in 2010 or so. Even throwing a boost in front I just couldn’t get the same response from it I got out of previous DR’s or a Mark IV. The most ‘disconnected’ amp I’ve ever played through.

Back