Tips to avoid seller’s remorse

pipboy90

Remember that piece of gear you loved in the past? Now it’s not doing anything for you sound-wise, for whatever reason, and you’re considering moving it along. What are some steps you can take to make sure you won’t regret selling it later on?

One thing I’ve learned is to wait a day or two (or a week) after playing the gear you’re considering selling and then try it again later to see if you still enjoy it. What our ears hear can change day to day due to stress, (lack of) sleep, hearing fatigue, etc. Sometimes you just need fresh ears.

Remember that piece of gear you loved in the past? Now it’s not doing anything for you sound-wise, for whatever reason, and you’re considering moving it along. What are some steps you can take to make sure you won’t regret selling it later on?

One thing I’ve learned is to wait a day or two (or a week) after playing the gear you’re considering selling and then try it again later to see if you still enjoy it. What our ears hear can change day to day due to stress, (lack of) sleep, hearing fatigue, etc. Sometimes you just need fresh ears.

I was just thinking the same thing last week about a few of my amps.

I can definitely agree with you about waiting a few days as well since our hearing does seem to change based upon other factors as you mentioned here (sleep, hearing fatigue, etc....).

Another thing that most people don't realize as well is the time of day that we are playing the gear.

I have found playing later at night that everything sounds the best where sometimes the amps will sound a little off during the day :)

Unplug it and put it in a corner for 3-4 weeks. Pull it out again and plug in. If it still doesn’t do it for you sell it.
Try different pedals, guitars etc.
I’ve got a few guitars, amps and pedals that I’m debating moving. Only time I sell is to buy something more expensive or something that is hard to find that comes up.

I bought too much over the last few years. Unfortunately it’s a buyers market right now. So I’m just sitting on the gear unless I can do a trade.

I always promise myself that I will sell something, if I let myself buy something new / expensive........but hardly ever do. :ROFLMAO:

I have things that are definitely on a "No Sell" list, even if I stopped playing guitar.
Everything else is just on the no sell list, until it starts getting in the way, or has not been used in a very long time, with no anticipation of using it again.

I just went through this with one of my RG's I had it listed for sale and then took i out and jammed on it for a couple of hours and
decided , "Nope she's a keeper"

Instead of watching those videos on that piece of gear that you are wanting to buy watch some videos of the piece of gear you are thinking about selling.
Yup, that works!

Also, try pretending that someone's on his way over to pick it up and then look at and play it, trying to appreciate what you saw in it in the first place, and more.

I say this 'cause seller's remorse often starts when someone else is looking at / playing the item and you start to realise what you had. As the saying goes, you never know what you've got 'til it's gone.

One thing I try to do is realize my reason for buying that piece of gear will come around again, so I should hold on to the gear.

For example, I've considered selling my FCS Postmodern Strat. I bought it so that I'd have a "Stratty" Strat. A real, classic sounding, Strat sound. Bad news is that's not a sound I use day-to-day because I'm a hard rock player. I might go weeks without playing that guitar. So when I think of selling it, I have to sit there and say to myself: "You will one day want a classic Stratty Strat sound again. So hold onto that great Strat, even though you rarely use it, because one day your tastes will come back around to it."

I actually just picked it up today and was jamming on it through the AxeFX. When I put it down, I said out loud, "Damn. That's a great Strat."

So that's how I justify keeping shit I don't use that often.

I pretend I sell it and put it out of sight for a month or two. Then I see if I ever thought to use it over that time. I try it again before I list it.

Good to see others saying something very similar.

List it at a price that's too high, and when someone makes a lower offer, play it for a while before responding.

Seriously though, I don't move gear like I once did anymore, so i'll sit on something for a year & force myself to play it from time to time to make sure my feelings on keeping/selling it are solidified.

Right now I'm playing in a metal band using 7 strings, so my PRS & delta blues combos hardly get touched for practical use. Before that, I was in a classic rock trio so my Framus Cobra & metal guitars were collecting dust. So always play enough variety of music that you'll justify keeping all of it.

Back