Tom Scholz Power soak

Hollywood

How much are these worth used ? I found a guy trying to sell one of these for a $100.00.
Were they ever worth using ? Who knows the pro's and con's on them ? :confused:

The one I used back in the day, was OK. I pulled it out of storage about 10 years ago, and sold it. I felt lucky to get $75 for it. I would venture a guess and say that it is "outdated" technology by todays standards. I used mine with no ill effects, and tried a few other PS's over the years, and they all got REALLY HOT, when used. I am not sure of how to describe how it works, but it seems to send the "extra" power into white blocks (resistors?), and I have since heard that puts a big "strain" on your tranny. The other types of attenuators that I have used, and tried, over the years, have all done a better job, and did not get nearly as hot.

If I needed an attenuator these days, I would wait on the Cameron version, but I am a Cameron fan boi. :LOL: :LOL:

If not, then I would still pass on the Power Soak, and try a Hot Plate, or Ultimate Attenuator (preferably straight from Ho, and skip the "Ultimate" middle man that is padding his pockets). Had pretty good luck with those two units.

Good luck !

OUTLAW1969":11f15gu8 said:
The one I used back in the day, was OK. I pulled it out of storage about 10 years ago, and sold it. I felt lucky to get $75 for it. I would venture a guess and say that it is "outdated" technology by todays standards. I used mine with no ill effects, and tried a few other PS's over the years, and they all got REALLY HOT, when used. I am not sure of how to describe how it works, but it seems to send the "extra" power into white blocks (resistors?), and I have since heard that puts a big "strain" on your tranny. The other types of attenuators that I have used, and tried, over the years, have all done a better job, and did not get nearly as hot.

If I needed an attenuator these days, I would wait on the Cameron version, but I am a Cameron fan boi. :LOL: :LOL:

If not, then I would still pass on the Power Soak, and try a Hot Plate, or Ultimate Attenuator (preferably straight from Ho, and skip the "Ultimate" middle man that is padding his pockets). Had pretty good luck with those two units.

Good luck !

Dont quote me on this, but as far as i know resistors just convert the energy to heat. you can technically run the speaker out jack to a bunch or resistors and make it a dummy load ( if wired correctly). To my knowledge using an attenuator that uses resistors doesnt stress the transformers any more than you would cranking up the amp to achieve that power tube sound.

But anyway, I second the Cameron attenuator. it seems like a great deal from a solid company!

Thanks for the info. I just ran across the sale ad on craigslist. I usually figure stuff on craigslist to be either junk or over priced 98 percent of the time. But it was worth checking out. :LOL: :LOL: I learned something and at the end of it, I just keep my money any ways.

I wouldnt pay over 70 for one , they were good for back in the day but today there are much better choices. I guess if u just need a cheap atten to have around the house and a tight budget it would be fine though. I liked the thd better and u can pick them up for probably around 125 to 150 used, or a used ho atten for around 200.

Been using them since the late 80's -- never had a single issue. Remember, Scholz has a Master's from M.I.T. I think he knows what the heck he's doing. I'll buy them all day long for cheap because they're worth way more.

I had one in the late 80s. There wasn't much else out there at the time. In the past 2 weeks 7 of these sold on ebay ranging in price from $67 to $120 + shipping. I wouldn't pay more than a nickle for one now.

also note, that as time and usage goes on the power soak will become less stable. they do eventually go bad. the super heating/cooling cycle will cause the resistors to let go eventually.

A guy I used to play in a band with used one for a long time. He ran a Dist + into his Marshall into the PS then out to a PCM41 into a Yamaha power amp. It worked great. It would get hot enough he could light cigarettes off of it.

In this day and age, although it's cheap, there are much better devices out there. I smoked 2 transformers with that soak back in the 80's.

The only thing they are good for these days is if you modify them and you want to use them as a load box when biasing your amp lol.

I remember reading that they were NOT good for amps, and, the one I owned briefly in the 80's sounded like a pillow was over the speakers.

There are WAY better devices out there today.

Gainfreak":23r7tk8p said:
In this day and age, although it's cheap, there are much better devices out there. I smoked 2 transformers with that soak back in the 80's.

The only thing they are good for these days is if you modify them and you want to use them as a load box when biasing your amp lol.
What amp?

Back