Tone Reminder Green Day

That was a CAE modded 70’s 1959 with Suhr’s crunch mod. V30’s and a BL 500XL in the bridge of his strat. Probably mic’d with a 57 and MD421(assuming they copied the recipe from Dookie). Resident Green Day gear guy here and actually have a 79 2203 with the crunch mod done at CAE. The amp is actually very versatile based on eq settings and mic position.

Hot take...one of the best Marshall tones ever.
I can't really get on board with this. Maybe if we were talking like top 250 Marshall tones ever and we are down the list about 249 names.

I don't like Green Day but I have always enjoyed that particular cut. It has a sound.

That was a CAE modded 70’s 1959 with Suhr’s crunch mod. V30’s and a BL 500XL in the bridge of his strat. Probably mic’d with a 57 and MD421(assuming they copied the recipe from Dookie). Resident Green Day gear guy here and actually have a 79 2203 with the crunch mod done at CAE. The amp is actually very versatile based on eq settings and mic position.

That’s fucking awesome

I can't really get on board with this. Maybe if we were talking like top 250 Marshall tones ever and we are down the list about 249 names.

I don't like Green Day but I have always enjoyed that particular cut. It has a sound.
This isn't about whether you like the band or not. This is simply implying that they have some of best recorded Marshall tones ever, and that's a fact...IMO

i love how they up-cycled that riff from Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4. :geek:

those dudes were on fire in that era. good, simple rock/punk songs, every one of them with a decent hook. they we're like a young Motorhead in terms of their song structure, attitude, and how loaded they were on speed.

i love how they up-cycled that riff from Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4. :geek:

those dudes were on fire in that era. good, simple rock/punk songs, every one of them with a decent hook. they we're like a young Motorhead in terms of their song structure, attitude, and how loaded they were on speed.
I liked Dookie when it came out. GD got old quick though. I had hoped they’d maintain throughout their career. Like The Offspring did. The sucking crept in pretty quickly with Green Day though. And frankly Billie Joe is not much of a guitarist.

Apologies for straying off topic. Tone here is nice. Not sure if I’d say best ever, but…..

I liked Dookie when it came out. GD got old quick though. I had hoped they’d maintain throughout their career. Like The Offspring did. The sucking crept in pretty quickly with Green Day though. And frankly Billie Joe is not much of a guitarist.

Apologies for straying off topic. Tone here is nice. Not sure if I’d say best ever, but…..
Green Day has had 10x the career The Offspring have. Offspring had 1 good album and went down hill fast.

Green Day has had 10x the career The Offspring have. Offspring had 1 good album and went down hill fast.
My opinion is 100% the opposite. As a bonus, the guys in The offspring are actually competent musicians. How he got a signature guitar is the same way Roger Waters got a signature bass. It’s a mystery.

I have had a lot of conflict in my younger years because I voiced hatred for that song "time of your life". If I met Billie Jean I might have to throw a punch just to let him know what he put me through.

I have had a lot of conflict in my younger years because I voiced hatred for that song "time of your life". If I met Billie Jean I might have to throw a punch just to let him know what he put me through.
Boulevard of Broken Dreams is their biggest hit. And that song sucks.

Obviously subjective but record sales does not equal better. If it did we’d all be talking about Taylor Swift up in this bitch.

Back