tried some tung sol 12ax7's in the tsl60's preamp ....

9ball

And my GOD these things are BRIGHT in this amp!! Like razorblades to my f'n eardrums lol...i think i'm gonna have to go back to jj's in it. After that....i think i'll prolly hang on to this thing, but it's time for me to step up to something better lol. Are jj ecc083's brighter/higher gain than the ecc83's?

I agree.......I found them excessively bright in every amp I've tried them. I really like the Sovtek LPS. Great sounding warm/articulate tube. However, they can't be used properly in cathode following stages.

I think i was reading about those sovteks. Maybe i'll try them out. This may be the last tube swap in the tsl for awhile - i may be in a position to buy another amp or two soon and i think i may do just that lol

How long were they in? Sometimes they can be spiky if not "burned in." They could smooth out a bit after awhile. I find JJ's to be too warm, even sterile and woofy.

I have no love for Tungsols in my amps. Only amp that liked that tube is my Soldano, since it's dark distortion benefited from the added treble spike.

I use them in V1 in almost every amp, but use Chinese (preferably 12AX7B) in other positions. I'll drop a Tungsol in the cathode follower from time to time, but I'm not sure they're best suited for that.

racerevlon":ard7l2t1 said:
Sell the TSL60 and get a DSL 50. You can thank me later...

Mandatory +1
Haven't compared both, but ave heard time and time again the DSL is better

Business":2d8cpw00 said:
I use them in V1 in almost every amp, but use Chinese (preferably 12AX7B) in other positions. I'll drop a Tungsol in the cathode follower from time to time, but I'm not sure they're best suited for that.

I don't think you are supposed to use the Tung sol reissue 12AX7's in a cathode follower position.

I like the Tung Sol reissues, but I like bright and clear tubes. To me JJs ECC83s are dark and muddy. In general, I like to mix tube brands to get my desired tones.

Don't overlook EH 12AX7s, they are a solid tube. For me they have always tested middle of the pack in my amps, ie not my favorite, but still impressive.

Back