Triple Recto Rev G vs "C Modded" Rev G

Nah, not angry. Just wanna say that some of the so called 'recording artists' on this forum that think they know so much, don't know shit. Just because you use an IR that makes every fucking amp sound the same, doesn't mean jack shit.
All that does, is make your
5150 sound like a Bogner sound like a Mesa sound like...
an IR.
A C+ sounds just like a Mark III!!!!
A G Recto sounds just like a C!!!!
...and more laughable comparisons brought to you by IRs....making every amp sound the SAME.
Cause all tube amps SOUND THE SAME!!!!!!
:hys:
Keep in mind that VES is just re-amping stems and claiming that it's his own playing.

Emotional immaturity happened.

I'll ask it again- "Are you trying to solve the problem, or are you trying to win the argument?"
Discussions about in-person vs recorded guitar sounds (especially with more popular amps) just seem to often lead to these arguments that go nowhere. Recording technology just isn’t there yet to be able to capture many of the details we hear in person that can make some gear extra inspiring (it can be similar with photographs vs seeing it in person). I think it does bring value though to add some commentary about what we hear in person that isn’t coming through in clips. If that makes me or others a pretentious, overly critical “bedroom elitists” assumed to have no skill or value remotely related to music then so be it

Last edited:
So for my latest trick I picked up a really killer sounding Rev G Triple Rec and loved it just like it was. Unfortunately I can't leave well enough alone so I sent it in to Mesa for a service & had Mike B. do his "Rev C" mod as well as convert it to a serial loop. I've had umpteen Rectos of all flavors including a very early Rev C so I wanted to C how this stacked up. C what I did there?

When I got the amp back 6 weeks later my first impression was a mixed bag of emotions. Thinking about how unreliable my opinions are over all that time, I remembered that before I set it in I reamped one of my band's songs through the amp stock- and I still had everything set up in the studio just how I left it so I referenced a photo to dial the knobs exactly the same and re-reamped it so we could get a proper close mic comparison of before & after the mod. Here's the test, check it out. What do you hear?

One thing I will add, looking at the stems in the DAW the Rev C modded version has more pronounced peaks where the stock version looks more squished. FWIW.. Time stamps-

In The Mix
Rev G 1:15
Modded to C 2:22
Rev G 3:23
Modded to C 4:31

Guitar Only
Rev G 5:13
Modded to C 6:20
Rev G 7:21
Modded to C 8:29

I wanted to wait until I could sit down and focus with good headphones etc. Great job BTW - I love how you put this together. :yes:

Before I read any comments I will just say the Modded C parts seemed either lower in the recording volume slightly or had a slight blanket thing going on. It was more apparent in the strait guitar parts. Otherwise, they were so close the average person would never know.

Great tone though and great playing all around so hats off man! :cheers:

the run of the mill amp sounds better than the mythical amp on a recording and thats always gonna cause problems :dunno: :ROFLMAO:
It’s true, but because of that those listening should be aware that it doesn’t always translate the same way in person (much like photographs as the visual equivalent) and they can decide if they are mostly a recording guy they may not need to splurge for certain versions and if they prefer playing gear in person can see for themselves. The problem is if they’re the latter then they’ll be in for some big disappointments if they rely on clips. Recording and photographs ultimately are virtual substitutes. It’s great we have them, but it’s never the same as experiencing it in person. 2 different girls (or any person) can also look similarly attractive in photos, but not even close in person

OK. Now I've read all the comments :LOL:

I know its a fun discussion but remember everyone uses gear for different reasons and we are all vastly different. That, and the whole recording close mic vs In-room thing is very subjective. I say we enjoy all of it for what it is :cheers:

@Racerxrated - I didn't know you did Sturgis 4 times - I bet you've got some stories from those :yes: I also didn't realize you have some recordings. I'd love to hear you man strait up :dunno:

OK. Now I've read all the comments :LOL:

I know its a fun discussion but remember everyone uses gear for different reasons and we are all vastly different. That, and the whole recording close mic vs In-room thing is very subjective. I say we enjoy all of it for what it is :cheers:

@Racerxrated - I didn't know you did Sturgis 4 times - I bet you've got some stories from those :yes: I also didn't realize you have some recordings. I'd love to hear you man strait up :dunno:
I agree. We can enjoy it all, but also should I think be aware of what we’re hearing in the different scenarios. Personally I joined this forum mostly to try to get more honest, accurate reviews/info of gear I was interested in vs magazines being the opposite (I try to give back the same). For at least most of my uses of gear, clips are often misleading. That is all, but they are great if that’s one cares most about knowing. No right or wrong

the run of the mill amp sounds better than the mythical amp on a recording and thats always gonna cause problems :dunno: :ROFLMAO:
As I did mention though, the amps were set up identically, so that setting may not be optimal for the C mod now that it’s a different amp.

I agree. We can enjoy it all, but also should I think be aware of what we’re hearing in the different scenarios. Personally I joined this forum mostly to try to get more honest, accurate reviews/info of gear I was interested in vs magazines being the opposite (I try to give back the same). For at least most of my uses of gear, clips are often misleading. That is all, but they are great if that’s one cares most about knowing. No right or wrong
Also agreed.

I think 'most' of us here are pretty honest with one another about what we are recording, posting, listening to, judging, reviewing, etc., along with our skill levels. I've done both close cab (SM57) and In-Room (Zoom Q2n4K) as well as GoPro, cell phone, other HD cameras but that was just me experimenting - not trying to prove to you all one is better than the other. I don't gig or record professionally tho :dunno:

If someone posts an IR clip, and you don't like IR clips, then maybe pass on that one.
If someone posts an In-Room clip, and you don't like In-Room clips, then maybe pass on that one.
If someone posts a Close cab clip, and you don't like Close cab clips, then maybe pass on that one.
etc

Discussions about in-person vs recorded guitar sounds (especially with more popular amps) just seem to often lead to these arguments that go nowhere. Recording technology just isn’t there yet to be able to capture many of the details we hear in person that can make some gear extra inspiring (it can be similar with photographs vs seeing it in person). I think it does bring value though to add some commentary about what we hear in person that isn’t coming through in clips. If that makes me or others a pretentious, overly critical “bedroom elitist” assumed to have no skill or value remotely related to music then so be it

Dude I completely agree with you, as I generally do. Everyone likes the way an amp sounds in the room, I just think it’s important to know where someone’s point of view comes from
When they throw around “facts” or opinions. There’s no doubt an amp in the room can be “inspiring”, everyone needs that…but again, to do what then? All of this is supposed to lead to something of some kind of substance, writing/playing actual music. That’s my point. We ALL focus on way too much bullshit that pulls us away from that.

And again, flying off the handle like a child because someone brought up ACTUALLY (gasp) recording music with these tools that were made to do just that, is…..well I guess just what I would expect from rig talk!

Also agreed.

I think 'most' of us here are pretty honest with one another about what we are recording, posting, listening to, judging, reviewing, etc., along with our skill levels. I've done both close cab (SM57) and In-Room (Zoom Q2n4K) as well as GoPro, cell phone, other HD cameras but that was just me experimenting - not trying to prove to you all one is better than the other. I don't gig or record professionally tho :dunno:

If someone posts an IR clip, and you don't like IR clips, then maybe pass on that one.
If someone posts an In-Room clip, and you don't like In-Room clips, then maybe pass on that one.
If someone posts a Close cab clip, and you don't like Close cab clips, then maybe pass on that one.
etc

When someone can identify a “real” mic and cab setup vs the IR equivalent of that exact same setup, or a better yet a setup that ISNT at all that same setup ( because if you can tell one is an IR and the other is a real amp why should it matter if the 2 sounds compared are the same setup or not) I’ll shut up…

But, anyone who makes a comment like “ OMGZ I HATE IR’zzzz!!!” Sounds like an arrogant child. Because we both know you can’t tell the difference, so save it :)

Dude I completely agree with you, as I generally do. Everyone likes the way an amp sounds in the room, I just think it’s important to know where someone’s point of view comes from
When they throw around “facts” or opinions. There’s no doubt an amp in the room can be “inspiring”, everyone needs that…but again, to do what then? All of this is supposed to lead to something of some kind of substance, writing/playing actual music. That’s my point. We ALL focus on way too much bullshit that pulls us away from that.

And again, flying off the handle like a child because someone brought up ACTUALLY (gasp) recording music with these tools that were made to do just that, is…..well I guess just what I would expect from rig talk!
I don’t think it pulls us away. I think the more inspiring sound and feel can also inspire playing more expressively or nuanced and even the way we write some music. Whether that comes through in a recording or not I don’t know and there’s nothing wrong with using whatever amp you want in that context. I just personally don’t find recording as interesting. To each their own. I also think most of these amp makers (from talking to many also) designed their amps much more around how people enjoy them in person. I think these tools were mostly envisioned to be used in a band playing live and of course recording them is great too. It’s not an either/or, but I do prefer the in-person experience where I really hear all the details in both the sound and playing itself of others and can be even more impressed with it. Fwiw, some of these great amp builders don’t even know much about recording at all

I also feel it may not be a coincidence the way a lot of music used to have playing with more nuanced feel and musical ideas that stuck to me more than most of it recently being technically more accurate, but generally more sterile (lots of exceptions of course). I think the gear affects how we play and sometimes even write music independently of clips

I don’t think it pulls us away. I think the more inspiring sound and feel can also inspire playing more expressively or nuanced and even the way we write some music. Whether that comes through in a recording or not I don’t know and there’s nothing wrong with using whatever amp you want in that context. I just personally don’t find recording as interesting. To each their own. I also think most of these amp makers (from talking to many also) designed their amps much more around how people enjoy them in person. I think these tools were mostly envisioned to be used in a band playing live and of course recording them is great too. It’s not an either/or, but I do prefer the in-person experience where I really hear all the details in both the sound and playing itself of others and can be even more impressed with it. Fwiw, some of these great amp builders don’t even know much about recording at all

I also feel it may not be a coincidence the way a lot of music used to have playing with more nuanced feel and musical ideas that stuck to me more than most of it recently being technically more accurate, but generally more sterile. I think the gear affects how we play and sometimes even write music independently of clips

I mean I guess, as far as what they might be “designed” to do. I still contend though there is infinitely more songs recorded and released than there ever will be live shows… and those are the tones that generally inspired us the most when we started playing. on that note, I wish there were more live shows!

I mean I guess, as far as what they might be “designed” to do. I still contend though there is infinitely more songs recorded and released than there ever will be live shows… and those are the tones that generally inspired us the most when we started playing. on that note, I wish there were more live shows!
Yeah no argument there. I want more live shows too. That’s where those tones can inspire us even more. I admittedly also have my biases as we all do. I play classical guitar mainly where with the best players we have there’s much more to see of them live than what’s available recorded or on YouTube and of course also there’s no mix, so in the room tone is generally what we think about with it. The classical players with tons of clips tend to be the younger players trying to build a name for themself and also use social media a lot. I should be doing it more myself lol

Last edited:
It’s true, but because of that those listening should be aware that it doesn’t always translate the same way in person (much like photographs as the visual equivalent) and they can decide if they are mostly a recording guy they may not need to splurge for certain versions and if they prefer playing gear in person can see for themselves. The problem is if they’re the latter then they’ll be in for some big disappointments if they rely on clips. Recording and photographs ultimately are virtual substitutes. It’s great we have them, but it’s never the same as experiencing it in person. 2 different girls (or any person) can also look similarly attractive in photos, but not even close in person
...And then how the perception changes when they open their mouth!

I wanted to wait until I could sit down and focus with good headphones etc. Great job BTW - I love how you put this together. :yes:

Before I read any comments I will just say the Modded C parts seemed either lower in the recording volume slightly or had a slight blanket thing going on. It was more apparent in the strait guitar parts. Otherwise, they were so close the average person would never know.

Great tone though and great playing all around so hats off man! :cheers:
Thanks dude. I find in reamping, level matching is CRITICAL because the louder amp will generally sound better. Just looking at stems won't get you there because as in this case, the Rev C (...and the IIC+ that I also reamped) had significantly more peaks in the stem than the Rev G did. So, I get it in the ballpark and hopefully dial the levels in using both the dB meter in the DAW as well as the studio monitors (Adam Audio) when the spliced final version is playing back.

Back