Troubleshooting issues on a Mesa Boogie Roadster Combo Amp

JKingV2

Hello all, need some help...

So I purchased a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster off an online vendor on Reverb. Just got the amp via Fedex a few days ago. When I initially fired it up, everything seemed to be fine, but later it started to have some issues primarily on Ch 3 & Ch 4, and this is on either the Bold or Spongy setting. I get scratchiness and popping sounds when taking the amp off standby in Ch 3 or 4, and both channels exhibit significant volume loss and scratchiness. I read somewhere that had something to do with the fx loop and the contacts being dirty. I put a patch cable to the send and return on back of the fx loop and that kinda cured things a bit, but the problem was still there. So I removed the amplifier completely from the cabinet, I removed all the tubes, I got some CRC contact cleaner, cleaned all the pots, switches, jacks, and tube sockets. I installed and hooked everything back up. Ch 1 & 2 work perfectly fine, but 3 & 4 still show the same issue and the fx loop really doesn't affect anything, it just a volume loss. Also, specifically on Ch 3, when I go to turn up the Master volume, it actually gets quieter. The store I bought it from has a 45 day return policy and so far have been helpful and willing to refund if necessary, but I really don't want to send this thing back. I'm hoping it's a simple fix, like maybe a tube replacement or something. Anyone here own one of these before that may have experienced similar issues? Thanks

Could be a preamp tube issue since it's localized to certain channels. Try swapping a known good spare (or V4 from your amp) into V3.

Here's the tube layout:

v1a-first gain stage
v1b-second gain stage
v2a-3rd gain stage ch1&2
v2b 3rd gain stage ch3&4
v3a- 4th gain stage ch3&4
v3b- tone stack driver - ch 3&4
v4a- reverb return
v4b reverb driver
v5a- fx send
v5b- fx return
v6 a&b phase inverter /driver

Check V3 and V5 preamp tubes. Those are cathode follower circuits. Russian tubes don't work well in those slots. Use Chinese 12ax7's. I had a Roadster. Stock tubes were exactly Chinese in those 2 slots and Russian elsewhere.

Check out the guitologist on YouTube he has a video of a road king that has a ton of issues popping was one of them. He explains the parts that control that and it’s a common issue.

Thank you all for the feedback! I really think that’s what it is, preamp tubes. I think the amp took well to the contact cleaner and now Ch 4 seems to be online

Back