Truss Rod fell out.

• Thread starter Deleted member 38657
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38657

It appears the treble side truss rod on of one of my guitars has perhaps... uh... fallen out? Not even sure how it happened, maybe during transport? Either way, neck has a very slight backward bow on that side as well now and the truss is bottomed out for relief due to the wood between the neck and pickup cavity blocking it from going out further. The bass side is good and has proper action. I don't believe the neck itself is actually twisted or anything as I can change the action differently on bass/treble sides on all of my dual rod guitars. Can I just take the neck off and "neutral" the truss then tap it back in and adjust? Does it need glued in somehow, maybe? Should I neutral both truss rods and let it sit for a while first before attempting to tap it back in? Anyone dealt with this before? Thanks community!
IMG_20221129_173843962.jpg

Interesting, if it’s a single-action rod maybe it’s just fully loosened and then came off, and just needs to be screwed back on? Though not an ideal position if it’s got backbow while fully loose.

If it’s double action I think the nut is usually welded to the threaded rod, and in pics I see online with the spoke wheel it’s either welded on or it’s slipped over the top of a d shaft or hex shaft or something. If that’s the case it just needs pushing back on, maybe it just fits loose and slides off easy. I’d be hesitant to glue it on unless you use something light-duty, but strong enough not to break loose every time you want to adjust it. Or ‘shim’ it with a bit of paper or something so it doesn’t slide off (like people do with knobs that slide off).

Interesting, if it’s a single-action rod maybe it’s just fully loosened and then came off, and just needs to be screwed back on? Though not an ideal position if it’s got backbow while fully loose.

If it’s double action I think the nut is usually welded to the threaded rod, and in pics I see online with the spoke wheel it’s either welded on or it’s slipped over the top of a d shaft or hex shaft or something. If that’s the case it just needs pushing back on, maybe it just fits loose and slides off easy. I’d be hesitant to glue it on unless you use something light-duty, but strong enough not to break loose every time you want to adjust it. Or ‘shim’ it with a bit of paper or something so it doesn’t slide off (like people do with knobs that slide off).
I don't think it's fully loose, it just can't be adjusted out any further due to making contact with the wood between it and the neck pickup. I believe that it can back out more and raise the action once the neck is off. It does appear to work in some way, so I'm thinking it may very well be t the end of a D like shaft. Being patient and waiting on a set of fresh strings and then I'm going to pull the neck. I appreciate your input! Thanks!

In that case it just might be not super designed and needs a bit of wood shaved out of the neck pocket so the wheel doesn’t contact.

Or, if it can slide off, maybe shortening slightly.

IMG_20221129_173843962 ISSUE.jpg

Can't do A not because of B, but because of C which needs D'd to fix. I believe D'd is the appropriate scientific term, if I'm not mistaking. B shouldn't be a problem after it gets D'd, does that make sense?

Not gonna lie, shit makes me nervous, I'd send it back bro
Actually ordered a new set of pickups for it (after the discovery, mind you) due to my moderate level of confidence in repair. Also, way past due to send back now. I'm not really stressing it tbh, was just mainly looking for advice on these types of truss rods. If I didn't have redundant other guitars, I'd probably be stressing, but I feel like somehow it's going to work despite my laziness to tackle the project or really dive deeper at this point with Christmas time keeping me busy. Probably post the results around new year. Worst case is I'll paint the body pink and slap my other neck on it as I like the grain a little better on this one and send the old neck off into the Ether or make a coat/key rack out of her, I dunno. Wish me luck.

Back