Trying to tone chase: Emperor cab + Invader content!

teqnick

So I'm debating on getting an Emperor 2x12 built to go with my ENGL Invader. I know everyone praises the invader with v30's, but I'd like to try out some Eminences or even Jensen speakers.

Right now, I'm looking at the:
Eminence:
-Tonker
-Wizard
-Governor
-Private Jack
Jensen:
-Electric Lightning
Does anyone have experience with any of these? I've read that the governor is similar to the V30 and that the Tonker is similar to a k100, but not much else on the other two. I've heard some clips of the Wizard being pushed and they sound good, but the highs may be a bit harsh for my liking.

I'm also looking at replacing the tubes in my Invader. I've pretty much decided on kt77's, but i'm not sure what preamp tubes to go with. Any suggestions? Tone wise, i'm into the new soilwork, disarmonia mundi, solution.45 . That kind stuff is what i'm really trying to get right now.

I've almost narrowed down my speaker choice to either 2 tonkers, a tonker/wizard or a tonker/governor. If I attenuate a cab that has a 75w wizard and 150w tonker, the cabs wattage will be at 150 correct? If so, how would the headroom be with the invader 100?

I really just want my lows to be punchier and more defined. The t75's in my current rivera 4x12 are really sloppy down low.

Emperor 2x12 with Jensen Lightnings sound really good. I like their cabs, and them as people. Very cool. Check out Hermida cabs also the ported 2x12 is monstrous. I use EV, but several speakers work well with them.

Thanks for all the help guys. I ordered an Emperor 2x12 today with a swamp thang and a tonker. They are indeed great guys, and being local is one of the biggest pluses.

teqnick":22zh43h8 said:
Thanks for all the help guys. I ordered an Emperor 2x12 today with a swamp thang and a tonker. They are indeed great guys, and being local is one of the biggest pluses.

1. It will prob sound awesome.

2. If it sounds strange, try flipping the cab over. I've found speaker combos in vertical 2x12's can react strangely with the floor redirecting the lower speaker to your ears. Example, my avatar 2x12 = swamp thang and a wizard. It sounds like ass with the wizard on the bottom, but sounds GREAT with the swamp thang on the bottom. just a thought.

Back