Tube Rolling in my new JJ100

DG335

I got my JJ about 3 weeks ago. After much discussion and help from LPMojoGL making my decision to pull the trigger on the most expensive amp I've ever bought, I grabbed one of the last few signed ones from the Amp House. It's pretty much everything I need and want in an amp and it's the exact sound that has always been in my head. As soon as I heard the demos, I knew it was the amp for me, but because of the price I needed a push over the edge. After getting it I have absolutely no regrets.

My drug of choice has always been the Marshall 2203/2204. While I recognize that the JMP had better tone, the JCM had the gain and MV I needed and the crunch I wanted. Well to my ears, the BE was JCM meets JMP with a modern voice. It's everything I like about Marshall tone, but with all the right improvements for my taste. It's tighter, it doesn't flub in the low end, it's darker without being muddy, and you can hear all the notes you are playing.. and that's just BE mode. JBE takes it to the next level. The JBE is why I bought this amp. It's just meaner and faster and angrier than the BE and fits the darker music I prefer. The BE mode fills my cover band needs perfectly while the JBE is the tone that I've wanted for my personal taste in music (From Black Sabbath and Kiss to Metallica, Anthrax, and Slayer to Mastadon and Red Fang).

With all of that you would think the clean channel would be an after thought. No freakin way. This is the BEST clean channel I've ever heard in a high gain amp. The 3 position bright switch takes you from Fendery to Voxy and it's got TONS of headroom. I would consider buying this clean channel alone in a separate amp. But let's save that for another time. This is all about the dirt channel.

E12650DD-E690-4393-A541-C901D61A21F3_zps1wnbbnz3.jpg

I'm running through a Stagecraft Blackjack 1x12 now with a Scumback M75. I'm a big Greenback fan, but I can tell this amp needs a V30 so I plan to buy the matching Friedman 2x12 in the near future.

D7FF2385-B1E3-4763-BA7E-3D463DBD42A9_zps7ruipgjg.jpg

As great as the JJ100 sounds, I can never leave good enough alone... so I recently started NOS tube rolling.

The amp shipped stock with

V1 = ARS 7025
V2 = ARS 12AX7
V3 = ARS 7025
V4/PI = ARS 7025

I assume Dave is using those 7025's to keep the noise down, but since new 7025's really don't have the same design aspects of the NOS version that actually were built for noise reduction, it's entirely possible he just likes the way those particular tubes sound in those spots. Modern 7025's are just standard tubes tested as low noise tubes labeled as such. I think he probably used the 12AX7 in V2 since low noise usually equals low gain and V2 is usually (I think) where the amp gets it's gain. I'm far from an expert.

D418CBF8-8F5F-4DF9-8F85-1B7C2F93442D_zps2xfxsdp6.jpg

I pulled the whole preamp tube set and carefully labeled them just in case. After some fiddling around I ended up with:

V1 = Mullard 7025 I63 (ANOS)
V2 = Mullard 12AX7/ECC83 f91 (NOS)
V3 = Mullard 7025 I63 (ANOS)
V4 = RCA 7025 (NOS)

187668F2-152F-4B0F-81AE-33A1886A3A28_zpsntkpujtf.jpg

I chose the 60's short plate 7025 in V1 for low noise since the amp shipped with a 7025 there. I put the 50's long plate f91 in V2 since there was a 12AX7 in there stock and I'm guessing this where you get the most gain. Then again a 60's short plate 7025 in V3 since it shipped with a 7025 there. I chose the RCA for V4 since it was the only other 7025 I had and there was a 7025 in there stock. I may change this up to another Mullard.

78E2B932-9668-4D5D-9CAF-52310293A14C_zpst9o0ikvg.jpg

Immediately noticed an improvement. This smoothed out any of thin, harshness or ice picky highs that were there. Not that the amp sounds thin, harsh or ice picky. This is of course all relative. But immediately the sound was smoother or, for lack of a better term, "rounder". I could hear that signature Mullard syrupy mid focus and it was glorious. Harmonics were more present and effortless.

I spent the most time testing in BE mode since that takes the diodes out of the picture. It's the hod rodded plexi sound, but with Friedmans own character. Adding the Mullard made it sound even more classic Marshall to my ears and less modern (but still modern levels of gain). It makes me wonder if the "modern" sound of most amps is more a function of the newer tubes than the circuit. It had more of that crunch sound from the classic rock recordings. This was all especially noticeable at low gain where the amp seems to sometimes struggle. Added sustain and articulation and less harshness were very apparent at low gain that was a little bland before. Before the Mullards I was struggling a bit to play lower gain blues. Now it sounds great for that. I had previously tried a I63 in v2 and the f92 was even more of a good thing. I may try the f92 in V1 just for comparison.

All my testing was done in BE mode. Initially I didn't try JBE mode because I figured the diodes were in the path there and I wanted to stick to all tube. Also, these older tubes don't seem to have as much positive effect on modern high gain amps. But, I did switch into JBE at the end and WOW. Despite the higher gain and diodes, the difference was still very apparent there as well. Fuller, thicker more mid focused tone even at max gain, but what surprised me the most was it was even MORE clarity and articulate in note separation than before and slightly more Marshally crunch.

Unfortunately there was no apparent reduction in noise. With the gain cranked there is still the same prevalent hiss. Nothing more than a normal amp of course, but I had hoped the NOS tubes might be a touch quieter.

I've a got a few more Mullards to try in there I'll give my 7025 I61 and F91 a try. And I still need to play with the clean channel to hear the differences there.

If you've got some NOS or ANOS tubes, I'd definitely recommend giving them a try. I think it takes a great amp and makes it a phenomenal amp. I may have found the last amp I ever need.

Thats great, nice description of the NOS tubes and the tones of the amp. I've got some NOS Mullards I've had for years and keep saving for a real old vintage amp but have thought more and more about trying them in the BE100. Your right that modern amps seem to not be too influenced by NOS tubes though, but every amp I've tried Mullards in they seem to get enough good tonal change. Tried them in a 20th Shiva and I actually liked the regular Chinese stock tubes a little better in that amp. Thanks for the pics.

Thanks guys. You both have most excellent avatars... I need one.

The JJ is definitely a keeper. It covers almost the entire spectrum for my needs. I have a Tungsten Cortez (5E3) for when I feel tweedy, but other than that I think the JJ would do it for me. I have a sentimental attachment to my Marshall 2204S, but the JJ could possible influence me to sell that. I have FUCHS Blackjack 21 which is an awesome amp with a great Marshally tone. The FUCHS is my grab go combo for when I don't want to carry the JJ and do the head/cab thing, but it can't do the high gain I need. But damn, the JJ is where it's at for me. The full range of gain for my needs. I can't stop playing it. I find myself leaving it on in standby all evening when I'm home just so that I can sit down and play whenever I get a few free minutes. No other amp has ever motivated me to play as much as the JJ. I want to sit down and play just to hear the JJ. Dave and Jerry worked some magic with this one.

I've got a few more NOS/ANOS tubes coming from Terry the tube tramp. He's the man. Meanwhile I'm doing some tube maintenance to clean up the post with some DetoxIt.

1A3ABA4B-D050-4070-BFB2-8E819C7CF233_zps9ilppz4u.jpg

:rock: :thumbsup:

Nice guitars in that second pic.
I haven't rolled any preamp tubes in my JJ. Haven't felt the need. That's usually one of the first things I do. I think it sounds great as is.
Enjoy that amp!!!

i have owned my jj for about 7 months.

i dont even know what tubes are in there.

usually the first thing that i do is start swapping tubes.

with this amp i had no desire to because i am just too busy playing the damn thing to care!

fuzzyguitars":12i42cyq said:
i have owned my jj for about 7 months.

i dont even know what tubes are in there.

usually the first thing that i do is start swapping tubes.

with this amp i had no desire to because i am just too busy playing the damn thing to care!

Same thing with my BE ... I have a small but nice collection of NOS tubes and every amp I get, the first thing is to start dropping some different tubes in.
Not with the BE ... just sounds so good don't need to change a damn thing!

:rock:

I was hesitant too at first. Once you've got the back off, it takes about 5 seconds to switch a 12AX7's in between songs. I can attest that the NOS tubes do make a difference in the JJ. Whether or not that's worth it is up to you to decide.

I agree it's a great amp even without NOS glass in there. But those little beauties sweetened up JJ even more. If you play often at lower gain settings then you really owe it to yourself to try your NOS glass in there. At high gain it's not as big of an improvement.

I finally got around to trying some Mullard 12ax7's(I61 & I63's) in the V1-2 of the BE100 today. To tell you the truth I like my Ruby AC5+s (selected Chinese) in the amp best. The Mullars did give it a nice girth and more demintional sound but just didn't sound as rippin or bright as the Ruby's. Even tried some good 7025 EI's and RCA 7025s and still prefer the stock or Ruby Chinese.

Guess it all boils down to what you like, but most modern amps are designed around new prod tubes (Bogner and Friedman) and just sound best to me with good Chinese tubes, atleast preamp tubes.

I have a Smallbox and I really love the Plexi-ish channel but I think it still has more potential to tweak it. If I remember correctly it has

V1 -JJ
V2 - Chinese
V3 - Chinese

What I experienced is that if I take gain down on Plexi channell it becomes a bit dull and lifeless. After reading your review with Mullards I really think that I should try replacing the JJ with Mullard. The second channel BE seems just right with thew current tubes, so I guess also Smallbox is primary made for modern sound. Any suggestion from Dave which preamp tubes would be worth a try to improve the first channel would be great ;)

Got any experience with Ei Niš tubes ?

wahoo":2s3yvkia said:
I have a Smallbox and I really love the Plexi-ish channel but I think it still has more potential to tweak it. If I remember correctly it has

V1 -JJ
V2 - Chinese
V3 - Chinese

What I experienced is that if I take gain down on Plexi channell it becomes a bit dull and lifeless. After reading your review with Mullards I really think that I should try replacing the JJ with Mullard. The second channel BE seems just right with thew current tubes, so I guess also Smallbox is primary made for modern sound. Any suggestion from Dave which preamp tubes would be worth a try to improve the first channel would be great ;)

Got any experience with Ei Niš tubes ?

If I were you I'd throw that JJ pre as far as you can. You described the tone of JJ pre's, dull and lifeless. Amy brighter tube like a Tung-Sol or Chinese 12AX7 would probably take care of what you wanting to do, my opinion atleast.

Actually with gain set at max it sounds ok, but as soon as i roll down the gain it starts to lose life .... I also experimented with volume at max and low gain setting and it gets much more headroom but than it doesn't work so good with the overdrives/boosters. Nevertheless not to be missunderstood the amp is still great but I think it still has a bit space to get it even better. My goal is to get the 1st Plexi channel best as it can get also if I compromise the BE channel because of that ;) I am also al long time 2204 JCM 800 user and and my ear is quite used to that ;)

Regards,
Grega

Adambomb":3etrmrxi said:
I finally got around to trying some Mullard 12ax7's(I61 & I63's) in the V1-2 of the BE100 today. To tell you the truth I like my Ruby AC5+s (selected Chinese) in the amp best. The Mullars did give it a nice girth and more demintional sound but just didn't sound as rippin or bright as the Ruby's. Even tried some good 7025 EI's and RCA 7025s and still prefer the stock or Ruby Chinese.

Guess it all boils down to what you like, but most modern amps are designed around new prod tubes (Bogner and Friedman) and just sound best to me with good Chinese tubes, atleast preamp tubes.

V1 is the clean channel. I definitely preferred by RCA 7025 in there over the stock chinese ARS. V2 is V1 of the gain channel. I found the Mullard made the greatest impact there at lower gain.

I agree the stock tubes were brighter and bit tighter in the high end and if you mostly play high gain and like that top end focus and cutting highs then the switch to Mullards is probably not worth the cost. The Chinese tubes would probably be my choice too if I were concerned mostly with modern tone, but I would probably put in some NOS 80's 6N4 Chinese military tubes like what was used in Marshalls and Boogies in the 80's and 90's rather than the newer junk.

To my ears, the Mullards shifted the focus to the mids and added more dynamics/harmonics at low gain, which I feel gives the amp better range in the vintage spectrum without loosing too much of that high end bite inherent to Friedman sound. I would bet that if I started playing with some of the Tungsrams, Brimars or Telefunkens in V3 (V2 of the gain channel) it would bring back some of that top end bite while maintaining the mid focus and low gain dynamics.

Regardless I do very much agree with you all that there is no NEED to tube roll with the JJ100 (and probably BE100 as well). The amp is so good, it will still stand out in the crowd with modern tubes. I'm just glad I found a way to open it up a bit more in the vintage spectrum.

wahoo":2cor8x7s said:
Actually with gain set at max it sounds ok, but as soon as i roll down the gain it starts to lose life ....

This is my experience as well and the only reason why I started experimenting with different tubes. I wanted to be able to roll back the volume on my guitar or lower the gain on the amp for more vintage (think JTM45 era) tone and maintain the dynamics and harmonic overtones.

I think the BE100 just sounds best for all styles with "good" selected Chinese 12ax7 (I use and love the Ruby 12ax7AC5+). v1 is clean channel of course, then V2 being main input tube, but if you listen, V1 affects the ch2 overdrive as well, you'll hear it when you change tubes. I think good selected Chinese tubes aren't junk, I think good ones are the best new production 12ax7 and beat out some NOS, and I have literally hundreds of NOS pres.

Of course the JJ is a different amp too, maybe a little brighter with more modern gain than the BE, so probably the Mullards do warm it up in a good way. Just all depends on how good the tubes are and your ear :)

Thank you for the tube info. glad your liking your JJ. I too love mine and have been wanting to get this amp when they first came out. I have the 2nd Master Volume Mod done by Friedman and it's also a signed one. Hard to stop playing it.

Update

After trying a few more tubes I've landed on

V1: RCA 7025
V2: Mullard I61 7025
V3: Mullard I63 7025
V4: Mullard F91 ECC83/12AX7

Really like this tube set. The F91 was an improvement over the F92 in the phase inverter. I've tried swapping the I61 and I63 and I preferred the I61 in V2 (V1 of the gain channel).

I put the stock tube set back in just to A/B the difference and there was most DEFINITELY a difference. The Mullards add more mid focus, fatten the tone, add more sweetness and harmonics and just make it generally more crunchy, angry and wooly. The stock tubes are more modern sounding, keeping it brighter and tighter. They sound a little more thin to my ears, but produce a faster playing gain tone. If you want a very modern tone I can see how some would prefer the stock tubes over NOS. If you want a modern amp with vintage character (my choice) then the NOS tube will get you there.

I'm very happy with the Mullards in there and definitely recommend tweaking to your preference.

Having to re-bias every time makes playing with power tubes a PIA. However, I do have a quad of SED winged C EL34's waiting to get dropped in when I get a chance. I put those same tubes in my 2204 and they did make an improvement.

Back