TWIN JET - Purple Mod

Heritage Softail":17q9mtp6 said:
Glad you dig it. And I didn't have any of those lines like This Amp Slays All
Could not go to a better home..

:rock:
No, but oddly enough........ :D

Rolling a lot of tubes these past few days - not making any permanent decision till the quad of 6550s arrives and get installed next week. But here's some cool stuff:

- With stock glass as is (C9-Bs or Cs), putting a 5751 in the V2 position makes Ch.1 and Ch.2 almost identical at neutral EQ.
- Ei Yugo in the back (PI) definitely opens it up
- Balanced LPS in the back opens it up and sounds a bit smoother
- 5751 in V1 is an interesting starting point, and I may work with this as it totally tames the amp down but keeps it growling.
- V4 is a money spot, does a lot of things, not always good - gonna have to work on this.
- High Grade Genalex aren't as sweet as the Cs are, imagine.

Anyway, more rollin' to happen yet - most certainly with the 6550s coming onboard; but ultimately? This amp is going to get revoiced to sound f*ckin' madness on Ch.1 and absolutely pissed on Ch.2 - all while holding mega string clarity, no smearing, low end punch, and defined mids.

This has been awesome... Frustrating at times too - as I've had to revert back to ALL Chinese to start over again when I got too lost in the mixing, but it's coming together. I think this amp might end up being my partner to the 20thA and making things go larger than life.

But it's going to take more time :doh:

Peace,
Mo

Keep at it man. I'm sure once the 6550s get there it will be a lot easier to find your tone.

leib10":uyp5v31f said:
Keep at it man. I'm sure once the 6550s get there it will be a lot easier to find your tone.
Yep, not getting too excited till the 6550s get installed. Once that's done, then it's game on for the finalization on the preamps. I'm jazzed about. I swear I'm getting some very serious, syrupy, rich, blues soaked tones outta Ch.1 with my Lester's toggle in middle position; volume back to 4 on both pots, tone rolled back to 3 and 6 on tone (Bridge/Neck). I'm sitting here playing an "Uberschall" thinking, hey, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute... No one would believe that this is an Uberschall :LOL: :LOL:

We'll see. In the meantime, will work on the 20thA - get rid of the C9 in the PI, get the Ei Yugo in there or a balanced LPS. Maybe a GenalexECC83 in V1 and call it a day. Different animal, different project. I've also got the Hagen going on the block to see what I can do about working on it to style it up a bit. Working with Papa on this for now so once it's done, I can share the goods :yes:

Fuck I love amps.

People really don't give the Uberschall (especially the Twin Jet) the credit it deserves when it comes to versatility of tones. It takes a lot of patience and experimenting, but there are many surprising tones to be had.

leib10":1kqer5ll said:
People really don't give the Uberschall (especially the Twin Jet) the credit it deserves when it comes to versatility of tones. It takes a lot of patience and experimenting, but there are many surprising tones to be had.

Truth!!!

Ventura":2ervuvwa said:
leib10":2ervuvwa said:
Yep, not getting too excited till the 6550s get installed. Once that's done, then it's game on for the finalization on the preamps. I'm jazzed about. I swear I'm getting some very serious, syrupy, rich, blues soaked tones outta Ch.1 with my Lester's toggle in middle position; volume back to 4 on both pots, tone rolled back to 3 and 6 on tone (Bridge/Neck). I'm sitting here playing an "Uberschall" thinking, hey, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute... No one would believe that this is an Uberschall :LOL: :LOL:

We'll see. In the meantime, will work on the 20thA - get rid of the C9 in the PI, get the Ei Yugo in there or a balanced LPS. Maybe a GenalexECC83 in V1 and call it a day. Different animal, different project. I've also got the Hagen going on the block to see what I can do about working on it to style it up a bit. Working with Papa on this for now so once it's done, I can share the goods :yes:

Fuck I love amps.

I have ran a USA tele and verb compressor in ch 1. Did a decent cleanish spank. Lots of coolness in that box.

Why a real amp will always have that something a modeler of an amp won't. Unless you do 100 models!

As great as a modeler is.....

One of the things I love most about them is that they go from brutal death metal to classic rock without even touching the knobs. Somehow they just sound "right" with whatever you're playing and the tones sound like you specifically dialed it in with that tone in mind.

[TJ's tonal palette] They're a BIG amp tonally, but they look and seem SMALL with only 2 channels.

Today will be another day in the lab working on my amps. TJ has been naked (out of its headshell) since it arrived; lots of fun and experimentation. And I always laugh at just how fkn LOUD that amp is :LOL: :LOL:

Today's happy cocktail of preamps...

I'm getting close. Of course, all this could shift when the 6550's kick in. But here it is:
V1: Jan-GE 5751
V2: Sovtek matched LPS
V3: TAD 7025S (Chinese 12AX7-C select)
V4: Genalex ECC83
V5: Tung Sol / C9
V6: Sovtek balanced LPS

Off the bat, I'm really liking the 5751 up front. It's not only quiet and hiss-free, but it basically takes everything and settles it down. It's a good starting point for an amp that goes "okay from here on in, it's all about gain and compression!!". So it sets the stage differently than the standard C9 or LPS or what not. It reigns it in a bit.

With the above configuration, I can use the gain adjustments on BOTH channels fully. Right up to MAX without it getting too weird and fizzy. Ch.1 at half mast is semi-clean. Imagine. And for the record, I test the configurations by having all EQ at noon. It's only once I determine the fizz factor and the like, that I start messing with the EQ on each channel to get the breadth and depth. But it ALWAYS goes back to square. Anyway, semi-clean sounds money...and ya, it's right there in JCM territory and off to Bogner land with that hard hitting chew. Less KERRANG, more CHEW!! Ramp the gain up? This would be main channel for all rhythm in all music save for the most djenty of chugga chugga. I love channel 1.

Channel 2 at half mast is a definite angry mofo. That said, it's obvious it's got 2x the gain and aggression on tap when swapping over from ch.1. But the litmus test for me?? Slowly strum a nice four or five finger chord and hear all the strings ring out. It does it - nicely, with great gain, with great aggression. It's there!! As the gain ramps up from noon to 3 o'clock, doesn't get louder, gets more compressed and smooth. After 3 o'clock, it's just your to-be-expected super-high-gain sizzler. Yay, it can go there. But that's not where music is defined for me.

So we've got full spectrum use of Ch.1 with decent cleans right up to Marshall'esque bang and then right into standard Bogner heavy chew. Ch.2 is a drop tuning delight, holds the gain well in that you can still hear the musicality. I like that a lot.

This was only preamps Folks. I didn't muck too much with EQ cuz I'm just trying to set the baseline right now before going on to move other parameters around.

Last note, Tung Sol may have leave V5 as there's a _slight_ brightness noticeable when going between main to loop. If I go back with the C9, it'll be seamless. Just saying.

6550s next week :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

leib10":24qggsxt said:
Sounds awesome! Got any time for a quick clip?
I'll fire something up for tomorrow - even if it's just a shitty ass iPhone clip. I apologize, I've got most of my shit in my session space, which I've not been hanging out in with the crutches and access to and from.

But ya, I think I'll get some clips but advance warning, I fkn LOATHE iPhone clips. Once I get access to my mics and usual gear, I'll make sure to do it right.

Hope that'll work... I'll do a quick run through of the channels. But I just really hate iPhone clips :LOL: :LOL:
Mo

No worries! I'm sure moving all that stuff around isn't easy in your condition. Who knows, I might set up my preamp section like that someday...

leib10":2bijynzk said:
No worries! I'm sure moving all that stuff around isn't easy in your condition. Who knows, I might set up my preamp section like that someday...
It's been okay, I just have a 4x12 Diezel and the naked Uber on top. Everything's on casters and my office chair too - so I just wheel around. But where I have my mics, sound proofed room, desk, rest of my gear, etc is NOT where I've been existing these past few weeks. So iPhone it'll be. Till then - peace,
Mo

6550s arrived today! Kids and wife are out of the house tomorrow - I'll be doing an A/B iPhone comparo with the set up.

1st off, stock all chinese, quick rip through both channels.
2nd up, my new preamp cocktail, quick rip through both channels.
3rd up, 6550s installed, maybe back to all chinese to start from scratch.
4th up, 6550s installed, with a cocktail of tailored preamps.

Gimme time - bitch trying to move shit around with crutches, but thank goodness for casters and wheelied office chairs :LOL: :LOL:

Will keep y'all updated.
Uncle Mo :thumbsup:

Back