Uberschall Ultra vs Hell Razor

Influenza

Over here in Europe, both amps are almost impossible to test in person. It seems both amps follow a comparable highly tweakable modern high gain route.
I wonder how similar or different these amps sound when being compared.
It doesn't help that the Bogner website is still down and that the Wizard website is not really provide any kind of tonal description in detail.

I'd be interested in the basic sound character, the amount of tightness, the amount of saturation being present, the general feel and the noise floor.
Which amp would you chose for which application? From the clips being available I hear some similarities ...

Ya need to summon the Wizard king.... @mhenson....

He did a clip over the hell razor vs UU.... imo if ya have the butter getta hell razor this single channel high gain beast is a tad tighter clearer than the UU... but the UU probably be more versatile...?

thanks for the video hint. It helps a little. The sounds are quite similar, but the questions about feel, noise are still of interest to me.
Also, I believe, the sound is certainly more versatile then in this short clip.
One of the things I wonder: How much sense do three gain kobs, multiple boost and brights in the HR make? I can see the use of most options in the UU whereas the use of the controls in the HR is less obvious. I can see use for two gain controls and invidivual bright controls in a Cameron CCV certainly, so I am not questioning this. Also, any Mark amp has frequency specic gain controls using its regular EQ.

Well, I criticize the amount of details being communicated by Wizard, but I do not question the quality of these amps. I own a MCII and it is awesome. Peaveys certainly have a lot of gain. However, 5150s sound saturated and tightness is not really controllable.
In short: These amps sound and feel different. And the same is true for Engl amps. I know the Invader II, the Special Edition and some more. They are real different in sound and feel.
There are lots of great high gain amps, but UU und HR are of interest in this case.

Sounds like they’re very similar sounding amps. I own a UU, MTL, and MC. Don’t own a hell razor. My comments are just from talking to Matt. Wizard you get the typical note clarity, and separation that you would with any wizard and the classic wizard punch. Not that the Uber ultra doesn’t have this, it does, just not as good as a wizard. If that 5 percent difference is worth double the price to you do it. If not I’d go the Uber Ultra. It’s one of my favorite amps I own. The thing plays extreme metal better than anything I have… and I have a lot of stuff.

I haven’t owned the HR but have had MTLs and MCs. The Wizards do something special that is unique to them. Def worth trying one if you can. The UU is more a typical American high gain voicing taken to the very modern and tight side end of the spectrum. The UU is my fav amp at the moment. But the Bogner/EVH/Soldano type sound is what I like the most. It’s in that camp but geared towards extreme metal.

Well, I criticize the amount of details being communicated by Wizard, but I do not question the quality of these amps. I own a MCII and it is awesome. Peaveys certainly have a lot of gain. However, 5150s sound saturated and tightness is not really controllable.
In short: These amps sound and feel different. And the same is true for Engl amps. I know the Invader II, the Special Edition and some more. They are real different in sound and feel.
There are lots of great high gain amps, but UU und HR are of interest in this case.

That uncontrolled/out of control mentality of 5150’s is what I love about them - like a racecar speeding around a track that requires a lot of right hand technique to make the amp do what you want. I’m sure the wizard quality is great and they sound amazing but they really don’t seem to have the gain on tap I’d prefer and they don’t give up more gain as volume is increased like a Marshall.

Thinking about it I’m surprised no one has stuffed a hot mod into a wizard 🤷‍♂️😂

That uncontrolled/out of control mentality of 5150’s is what I love about them - like a racecar speeding around a track that requires a lot of right hand technique to make the amp do what you want. I’m sure the wizard quality is great and they sound amazing but they really don’t seem to have the gain on tap I’d prefer and they don’t give up more gain as volume is increased like a Marshall.

Thinking about it I’m surprised no one has stuffed a hot mod into a wizard 🤷‍♂️😂
Someone should do that and send a pic to Rick...watch his head explode!! :ROFLMAO:

Back