Update on ToneNerd Pickups Japan Relocation

You’d never get anything like this in mainland Japan. Because this is an island, it’s much more affordable. The house is about $2500 a month. It’s also very Americanized. Even the wall jack are US 3 prong. Because my amps use dc regulated heaters, I’m just going to run the at 100v

Jeez, this puts my place to shame! Best perk I can muster is a 50 minute walk to ESP Crafthouse (and I'm 30 meters from a famous junky ramen chain, but that's off limits if I want to make it to my 60s).

Congrats on the re-lo and new digs!(y) And thanks for doing what you do in terms of offering kick ass pickups at fair prices.

Awesome man. What part of Japan are you?
My wife is from Machida and I lived in Yokosuka for 4 years (Navy).

I’m at about 90 days out before I can setup shop. We scored a killer 4 bedroom house in a quiet neighborhood, walking distance to a farmers market, grocery store, Ramen shop, park, track and field, coffee shop, etc. definitely an upgrade from the Texas HQ.
No neighbors on the north or west side and there an elderly daycare across the street, so, hearing impaired during the day and empty in the evenings \m/ :D \m/. 4 parking spots and 8 minute drive from my wife’s brother’s house. And only 3km from the beach. I feel blessed.

Thats cool !! Does it mean i can get cheaper shipping down to my country? Haha

Thats cool !! Does it mean i can get cheaper shipping down to my country? Haha
I’m still figuring out shipping and tax implications. According to my international CPA, if I’m a registered US based LLC and I’m not sourcing parts from Japan, employing any Japanese nationals or selling to Japanese customers, I can avoid Japanese registration and taxation. It looks like I can ship packages to the US under 2kg for 1400yen/$9.83 with about a 10 day transit. I will have to look at other countries. It will cost me more to make pickups since I will continue to source US parts and shipping is slightly more. Also moving to an LLC means it harder to stay under the radar for taxes, so when I meet again with my CPA I need to figure out what my true profits will be. One thing I’m considering is using some non US parts that don’t affect tone. I can say that the Chinese bobbins are actually better quality than the US bobbins. I’ll keep using anything metal from the US.

I just went and saw the new Godzilla movie tonight, great movie and great storytelling. But good luck dealing with that!
IMG_2713.jpeg

Back