Van Halen - Diver Down Tone

It's definitely a unique sound. You don't realize just hw brittle it is until you try and recreate it. A lot of his older stuff is like that on the records. Guessing there was some magic dust being applied to the tracks after being recorded.

Guessing there was some magic dust being applied to the tracks after being recorded.
Pultec EPQ-1A

K8w6wpB.jpg

You sir are a genius. Downloaded a clone VST of the Pultec and within minutes I have gotten closer to the DD tone than ever before. Used my tracks from that video and dropped all DAW EQ for the guitars and replaced with the Pultec. Done. Sounds much more authentic. That high end shrill-ness is there.

Looking at my preset in the Axe - the only thing I did in there was related to the Cab Preamp. You have an Axe FX? Want the preset?

Are you guys using the Pultec (or its VST) on individual track(s), or on a guitar buss?

CAE MC406 buffer - yes. Only used to send a hotter signal to a DI box when tracking a DI. Not used here.

You have an Axe FX? Want the preset?
I do not, but I understand the presets and would just be curious to see how you're setting the device to get your tones.

Was into the modeler thing quite a while back.

These days I use a tube amp primarily.

I used the stock preset The Brown Sound with no tweaks to the amp settings. No drive pedals. The preset does have the Jose mod switch activated. Here's a view of the amp controls:

1682182280360.png

Here's a view of the Cab Preamp that I did activate and modify. The cab is a stock IR "4x12 MAR PR-M20B FULL (OH).

1682182405258.png

Back