Very concerned about purchasing a renegade head...

Rickmeister30

I'm in the market for a new amp, and absolutely love the sound of the renegade and tourmaster amps.
HOWEVER, the more I've looked into getting a renegade, the more I'm worried. I have read so many bad things with reliability issues.
On this forum and a Lot of other places, now I haven't, but probably should have, looked at all the dates on these reviews to see how current they are. I'm further not impressed with the fact that I've sent Egnater two e mails over the past few weeks and have gotten no response to questions asking about these amps.
I read in here somewhere that guitar center no longer carried them due to these issues, is that wrong info, or something that had changed, because guitar center has them for sale online.

It is going to be VERY hard for me to shell out a grand for an amp when that is all I make a month, so unless i hear a lot of replies to this saying that things have been fixed, such as someone mentioning that the tour masters have had upgraded transformers,i think I'm gonna have to pass on an Egnater, which would suck, cause I really love the sound from what I've heard.

I never had any problems with mine. The above post aside, most of the complaints I have seen on forums have to do with the tweaker and rebel 30 and not so much the renegade. I believe Egnater can be ordered from the gc website. I saw it there a few weeks ago.

I've gigged with a renegade almost every weekend for three years now. I haven't had one issue aside from having to swap out tubes, normal stuff. People are much quicker to post about problems they've had as opposed to complements. I understand this and I know they've had issues with transformers but I guarantee there is a much greater number of good units out there then ones with problems. I don't believe either amp that you mentioned has had any sort of upgrade especially with the TOL 60 coming out soon (hopefully) which will replace the renegade. Decide for yourself of course but the renegade is one good sounding amp and has the exact features I need for a gig.

markshu":1fbwjgd1 said:
I've gigged with a renegade almost every weekend for three years now. I haven't had one issue aside from having to swap out tubes, normal stuff. People are much quicker to post about problems they've had as opposed to complements. I understand this and I know they've had issues with transformers but I guarantee there is a much greater number of good units out there then ones with problems. I don't believe either amp that you mentioned has had any sort of upgrade especially with the TOL 60 coming out soon (hopefully) which will replace the renegade. Decide for yourself of course but the renegade is one good sounding amp and has the exact features I need for a gig.

Makes me feel good that my amp is appreciated for good tone and gig features!

I bought my Renegade 212 in the summer of 2009 and it has, for the most part worked out great. I did have an issue about a year ago were the amp started to crackle and fade out. I took it to a local guy here in ATL and he found a small capacitor that had actually ignited and caught flame. Luckily, it wasn't a major issue. He was able to replace the cap and I was on my way. No I don't take my amp out on gigs, so I can't speak to the overall reliability of the renegade in any type of travel situation, but I don't think you would be disappointed.

I hear a bunch of Luv from Renegade owners and a lot less of any problems with that amp.
Im a Rebel 30 head owner with a date code bcc01 with no problems and reports of Channel 2 switching issues has occurred for some others unfortunately .

Back