VHT/Fryette amps - best high gain tones....ever?

That’s funny and shows how subjective this all is…I absolutely hate every eminence speaker I’ve ever tried. P50es are absolute garbage IMO.
Agreed, haven’t liked any Eminence’s other than a few vintage ones that were nice (especially for the price). If anything I think the Celestion’s more inherently present and juicy midrange can compensate a little bit for the hollowness in the VHT’s/Fryette’s. The Fane’s do the opposite IME

This is the best amp VHT ever made, end of story...
20230211_224955.jpg

That’s funny and shows how subjective this all is…I absolutely hate every eminence speaker I’ve ever tried. P50es are absolute garbage IMO.
How bad are p50es?? From the clip they are pretty mid-scooped sounding. I thought they are good for old school death metal type tone. I love fryette cab(f70 loaded). So, I wanted to try p50e loaded fryette cab someday.

I had a Sig-X here for a bit and it wasn’t bad.
Early Helmet Fryette tones are pretty rad.
I’m more into Diezel & Boogie Marks though.

How bad are p50es?? From the clip they are pretty mid-scooped sounding. I thought they are good for old school death metal type tone. I love fryette cab(f70 loaded). So, I wanted to try p50e loaded fryette cab someday.

stick with the Fanes! P50es sound like a hollow cardboard box to me. Lol

but don’t let me stop you from trying them. Some people actually like them a lot. When I had an older FB can with p50es I swapped them out for v30s and it was a huge improvement. I actually like v30s with Fryettes. A lot of people don’t

but don’t let me stop you from trying them. Some people actually like them a lot. When I had an older FB can with p50es I swapped them out for v30s and it was a huge improvement. I actually like v30s with Fryettes. A lot of people don’t
What speakers did you tried with FB cab except v30?? I hope Fryette sell unloaded cab. So, I can try lots of speaker with FB cab.

Turns out that when you put a Mic in front of something, it records what is being played in front of it..

I don't think a Resonance control is very useful on an Amp that already has a strong bass, or a Graphic Eq for that matter.. People dial in this massive sound with Freqs that cross over into the Bass Guitar and Drum territory and wonder why it doesn't fit in a mix.

That’s not at all what I was saying, but cool! You can dial in plenty of low end on guitars and make them sit great in a mix, it’s a matter of knowing what you are doing . There is far more myths about guitars and cutting low end on the internet than there are people actually doing it in the real world. Great engineering of tones before they go ITB is 95 percent of the battle.

The first time I ever played a Fryette was an original VHT D60 with P50's. I remember it having that dry flat midrange, but I also remember that I wasn't yet worthy. Coming from Boogies that have that compressed singing midrange, the Fryette had no give to it at all.

Interesting. So, if the added channel is based on the Sig-X clean, will there be 2 clean channels now? Either way, the ULII is a long time coming and I will at the very least check it out!
The Pitbull Clean stays much cleaner than the Sig X Clean. There isn't a lot of headroom on the Sig X Clean. More like a NMV amp in comparison.

20221231_154357.jpg

Ampeg System Selector and five cabinets.

Fryette 4x12 - P50E
Mesa 4x12 - Vintage 30
Peavey 2x12 - Vintage 30, G12K-85
Peavey 4x12 - Greenback, Vintage 30
Marshall 4x12 - H30, Vintage 30

I can hook up any of these amps and switch any of the cabs in real time.

The P50E is a lot more similar to the greenback, H30 and Vintage 30 than I thought before hooking everything up to the Ampeg System Switcher.
Are they different... Absolutely.
But much more similar than different.

The K-85 and EVM12L I compared directly with the P50E I would say are very different.

I was kind of surprised by the results. As I have owned these cabs for years.

Last edited:
There is far more myths about guitars and cutting low end on the internet than there are people actually doing it in the real world.
I dunno, the two mistakes most common with players not accustomed to playing with a full band are too much bass and too much gain IME.

Also, just about every OD out there—every TS, Klon, BB…every time one of those gets stepped on to “tighten things up” they are cutting low end. Far from an “internet myth”

I dunno, the two mistakes most common with players not accustomed to playing with a full band are too much bass and too much gain IME.

Also, just about every OD out there—every TS, Klon, BB…every time one of those gets stepped on to “tighten things up” they are cutting low end. Far from an “internet myth”

I should’ve specified, I’m talking about recording/tracking. Playing live is a very different animal, but my opinions are based on recording here.

Mine always recorded pretty well. Not really a fan of the Fatbottom cabs. Tried a 4-12 and used a 2-12 for awhile. Front loaded cabs just sound weird to me I guess. The Deliverence 2-12 sounded much better to me, but it is quite a bit bigger too.
Gonna have to save some pennies for the new UL.

My experience is with the amp live also, no problems cutting or micing for live use. Recorded i tend to just use the engls and peaveys since its easier/faster to get good tone.

Its funny you guys dont like eminence speakers. Is it because you feel they lack presence/highs? They sound perfect and fat to me lol

My Ultralead records really well and I have lent it to a few friends to record with as well. That said, I have found it isn't just a "mic up your live sound" kind of amp.

The first time I recorded with it was in 2004 and we were biamping the Ultra lead with a mk1 Herbert. In the room it sounded huge, aggressive and tight. Through the monitors it was a flubby mess! Lol!

In fairness, I don't find any of those amps from that time period (80's and 90's) to be just simple "mic up and press record" amps, but that is a whole other topic. Once I got a handle on recording the Ultra-lead it became an excellent tracking amp.

Back