VHT / Fryette Pittbull Ultra Lead

born_hard

Hi,

i`m interested in the UL. So this amp is around since when? 20 years? I could grab a used one, its a VHT not a Fryette. Are the older or the newer VHT or Fryette models better? I heard the newer black push button models were better.
Can you help me out, maybe i save up for new one. In which range are the used prices for this beast of an amp?

I've had a bunch of ULs. I can't speak to what any changes are, but the newer version I have now is one of the best amps I've ever owned. I like it a lot better than the older models I've had.

As long as you buy one that isn't a real early one, they are all basically the same. Very early models used a slightly different preamp tube setup that is like the classic. Get one with the graphic EQ, I wouldn't even consider a VHT without it.

I've owned a bunch of them as well. If you get the one with the EQ, they're all virtually the same. There were small differences in tone that I would attribute to component drift, etc.. The best sounding one, to me, was one from around '04 or '05. I always ran the same set of tubes in the ones I owned, like the same exact set. I can't remember if I sold that one to a dude in Washington state or if it was the one I traded to Tom (aka Shiny_Surface). They were both good ones to me.

Even though the amps I liked had the graphic EQ, I barely used it. I liked the natural tone of the amp.

mhenson has owned a lot of stuff, and I would, without a doubt, trust his opinion as well. RJF also makes a great point in getting one with the EQ. It's there if you need it.

mhenson42":2s8begem said:
I've had a bunch of ULs. I can't speak to what any changes are, but the newer version I have now is one of the best amps I've ever owned. I like it a lot better than the older models I've had.

Ok, thanks. What do you consider as new and old? Which year was the switch, whats your guess? Or are the newer ones the Fryette amps and the older ones the VHT amps?
The one i could buy used is a VHT and has black push buttons.

What are the used prices for these amps?
Thats not true. WTF 1000$?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VHT-Pitbull-Ult ... 7675.l2557

That one on eBay does not have an EQ. If it has the black buttons it is a more recent version from the VHT era. I had one with gray buttons and a VHT with black buttons. I was told there were some changes, probably components as stated above. I don't know the specifics. I just know that The one with the black buttons sounded a lot better to me. The one I have now is a '13 from the Fryette era. It's probably the best amp I've ever owned. My tastes have changed over the years so that's probably part of it too.

Definitely get one with the EQ. With the EQ, this amp cover just about any tone/style you would want

Great amp, with or without the EQ. Top 5 amp, if not top 3 IMO.

That said, get one with an EQ. Better to have it and not need it....

born_hard":20kvxznn said:
mhenson42":20kvxznn said:

Ok, thanks. What do you consider as new and old? Which year was the switch, whats your guess? Or are the newer ones the Fryette amps and the older ones the VHT amps?
The one i could buy used is a VHT and has black push buttons.

What are the used prices for these amps?
Thats not true. WTF 1000$?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VHT-Pitbull-Ult ... 7675.l2557

I do believe that ebay sale was a "newer" version. I think they made the biggest changes in the mid to late 90's.

Here is a thread I made a while back with alot of good info for you.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=159289

I spoke with Fryette about this but I cannot find their email reply so I will go as best as I can from memory to add to that link (definitely read the thread link for the history of the UL in Fryette's words)

The UL I had was the "old" version, first run and it was made in 1994. So we are talking really old. The VHT brand was still in effect when they made the changes so I wouldn't judge off of that. I would look up the serial # and call Fryette or email them to confirm.

The old run was cool but I think the new UL would sound better (never had a new run). When I compare to the CL100, the old run did sound wider than the CL100 I had but my CL100 demolished the particular UL that I had in the brutal category so I sold it.

The differences afiak are:

The old run has a much higher plate voltage.

a 12AU7 phase inverter (maybe the biggest difference tonally)

6l6/KT88 switch. Could use either power tube set.

Footswitch has two 1/4 cables vs. the multipin.

Plastic Logo

The newer has hi/low gain switch I believe.

Power amp mode class A/B switch on the new I THINK.

That's all I got but read the link I posted and if I ever come across Fryette's email about it and if it has any more info I will post.

Stephen Seawall may be able to add some info as well if he chimes in here.

What I remember, is that there is one year with the UL's where they have 1 less preamp tube, IIRC. Can't remember if it was the first year of production or a later oddball year.

Back