Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher

Copperhead

Got this for Christmas, reconfigured my board for it, as it is laid out left to right. I usually hit the switches with my right foot so my board previously worked right to left.
I was dissappointed that in the direct output with no loops on, it did NOT sound like a cable direct in to the amp. I verified this using a cable connector and going back and forth between the switcher and the two cables. Surprisingly, the buffered input sounded much closer to the cable tone. Then the output jack got super scratchy when the cable was bumped? Then it started cutting out, and quit altogether. Lights on, power supply good, cables good. Relays not working...
I shipped it back and am waiting for a replacement. I figure I will give it one more go. Not happy with the QC on this unit. This is my first new Voodoo Lab purchase.

Update -
OK, got the new one in, tested it out Saturday before the gig....
Seems to take just a very little bit of high end sparkle out of the tone on the direct input, no loops on. As compared to cable straight in. I used a cable connector to compare. Buffered input adds the sparkle, but loses low mids and lows volume.
But overall, probably the most transparent looper I've tried. I had problems with loopers that are based on mechanical switches, because there is not enough poles on the switch itself to switch in and out, both positive and negative. So what they do is tie all the grounds and switch the hots, and use a pole for the LED. But I experienced some bleed through with this type of looper.
I have not seen a print of the Voodoo Lab unit, but I was assured by them that every loop is completely disconnected with this switcher.
It did sound real good live, with stage noise accounted for it sounded and felt like a cable straight in for all intents and purposes. My particular tastes are that my best tone is just guitar straight into amp, but I have to have a coupla pedals occasionally as a neccesary evil. (Tuner, Boost, Chorus, Delay)
This looper is the best compromise so far. We'll see how it holds up.
I played all day Sunday without a problem.

01/23/09
'K - I'm taking the plastic off and keeping it. It has been working fine, sounds transparent.

Nothing that one might put in front of an amp will sound completely transparent, but this unit is the closest to the actual sound of the amp. I've also tried the RJM RG-16; it has a harsher sound and flattens out the frequencies a bit. VooDoo owns this market, so far...

Axxess Electronics makes a loop switcher as well, and it's a one I haven't tried. Any feedback on that one?

I have an Axxess GRX4 that has been serving me well for two years. No noticeable tone suck, independent loops. one loop can do amp switching. Love it so far. have never used the buffer so not sure how it sounds but other seem to like it.

for the price its a winner. :thumbsup:

I had a problem with both of my pedal switchers. They would sound as though something was shorting out. I called Voodoo Lab and they said to clean the insert input. I explained that I don't use it and they said that if it gets dirty that this is what would happen. I tried it and it worked.....for a while. Then in the middle of a gig it started happening again. I was pretty pissed this time. So the next day I cleaned it again and again it worked..... for a while. I called them back and explained that I shouldn't have to constantly have to clean the insert. They agree and said to send it in. So I did. It seems that they had some lemon jacks that were insalled on some models and were already aware of the problem. I haven't gotten it back yet but I'll check back in when I do. :no:

Finally got the Pedal Switcher back after almost 8 weeks (they quoted me 3 weeks). So far, so good. They ended up replacing both the input and insert jacks. Let's see how long they last. :doh:

Damn... This isn't sounding too hot. I was SO close to pulling the trigger on getting this and the GCP to handle my 10 stomps, 3 of which are Eventides...all three factors. Wanted MIDI control, preset controls, etc. - this has made me pull back on the decision.

Peace,
V.

I have 2 pedal switchers and a cammander and have had no Issues
013-3.jpg

Back