Voodoo Mod on Bogner Shiva

JCC

Geat amp love the clean tone as is warm and nice. The drive tone is good at lower settings but is just kind of hard or harsh at higher gain settings. It just feels like the amp has about 1/2 the drive it should. Has anyone had a Voodoo mod done to thier Shiva? if so how do you like it? Or other details?

Thanks

I havent, but have owned 3 Shiva's and personally, love the tone. My question is if you buy a boutique amp and dont absolutely the tone, why not get an amp that meets your tonal needs. I dont see the sense of modding an amp like the Shiva. If the Voodoo tone is what you want, sell the Shiva and buy a Voodoo...they are about the same price.

Just a thought.

Guitarvc":2xw28p8j said:
I havent, but have owned 3 Shiva's and personally, love the tone. My question is if you buy a boutique amp and dont absolutely the tone, why not get an amp that meets your tonal needs. I dont see the sense of modding an amp like the Shiva. If the Voodoo tone is what you want, sell the Shiva and buy a Voodoo...they are about the same price.

Just a thought.
+1

If you look at the mods they do, the descriptions are the same for many of the amps. For example, the Uberschall transformers are MASSIVE. Why on earth would you want to have it replaced, as in the Deluxe mod? My point is - and anyone who believes otherwise, feel free to chime in - I really doubt Voodoo mods will make an amp "better". Different, maybe, but I feel changes to something like a Bogner will only take away from the amp.

They could probably put an extra preamp stage in for you ... but like others are saying, kind of like putting a Camero engine in a Mustang.

JCC - If you want the gain channel tweaked to meet your needs we can certainly do so and have done so many times. We retain the characteristics and articulation you love about the amp while giving you the drive you need.

Generally speaking; Amps are made up of caps, resistors, transformers, tubes, voltages, wires/PCB's, etc. Tone comes down to how one chooses to arrange the components into what we call a tube guitar amp and there are countless possibilities.

Novels have been written on transformer design. Suggesting size alone is the determining factor in what makes a transformer great would be to over simplify a far more complex topic. Transformer size does play a role in a transformers tone. Meaning an output or power transformer does have to be a certain size for the circuit it is working within though physical size alone is not the determining factor that makes a great transformer sound great or feel great.

If you have the tone that makes you happy then it doesn’t what you use or how or how you got there, so long as you are happy (truly). For those that are not happy there is the buying-&-selling game. At the end of all the buying and selling of gear we all hope to find the amp that perfectly meets our needs. Most find an amp that is close to perfect but it still needs that little extra bit of something that would make it perfect. That is where modding comes into play. There is no right or wrong in modding an amp to meet one's personal needs, it’s all about tone.

We work very hard to understand each player’s personal needs and go to great lengths to meets those needs. An amp should not only sound great but should also feel great to play on so that as players we are inspired to play.

Happy holidays to all!!
Trace

Back