Voodoo modded AOR HELP!!!

neoclassical

I'm going to call the shop monday, but thought I'd post here too. My modded AOR 100 started blowing HT fuses in the studio. I didn't know he did this, but the engineer at the studio we record with after it blew a second fuse stuck a 2 amp fuse in instead of a 1 amp and it of course blew that fuse and let a puff of smoke out the top. Now that I got a look at the power tubes and the sockets the first power tube has a burn mark and carbon on/around pin 3 and the socket looks like it chipped at pin 3 and looks burnt. It now blows the proper 1 amp fuses when I take it out of standby with power tubes in. It does not blow fuses with the power tubes out and in standby. Also when my drummer packed the amp in his car next to our other guitarist's amp he bent my bottom control's pot shaft and it looks like he got the solder joint to pop off the ground buss wire. I took the amp out of the shell and I don't see any other evidence of burned components. Is this something that could be fixed with a retube and bias and possibly a new power tube socket since it was probably the tubes going in the first place along with the bottom control replaced? What could I be looking at if there is more damage than just that? I know that amp isn't in front of you, but I'm on a VERY tight budget right now. I have my TSL to get me through gigs for now, but this is my main amp and has "the sound". I have a price cap in mind etc...

Adam

It sounds like you had a Power Tube let go, and it took out the main fuse.

Had you replaced the tubes, and replaced the fuse with the proper value you more than likely would have been good to go.

Now unfortunnately, you have more than likely fried parts... Maybe a Resistor.

You could take the chassis out, and look for any burned parts, get some proper range tubes and fuse, and give it a whirl... But unless you know what you're doing it's more than likely going to have to go back to Trace.

Good Luck,

Roid RAGE

Sorry I couldn't talk with you directly, I had lost my voice due to a cold. As per the conversation, it sounds like you have a shorted tube and possibly a shorted output transformer (OT). Going from memory but I do not believe Laney used a HT Fuse in that model so you may have a shorted OT. I know you are on a tight budget and we do have some OT's on hand for just such an occasion (should it be necessary). No worries, we'll do the very best we possibly can for you!! :)

Happy Holidays!
Trace

voodooamps":3rrelgq6 said:
Sorry I couldn't talk with you directly, I had lost my voice due to a cold. As per the conversation, it sounds like you have a shorted tube and possibly a shorted output transformer (OT). Going from memory but I do not believe Laney used a HT Fuse in that model so you may have a shorted OT. I know you are on a tight budget and we do have some OT's on hand for just such an occasion (should it be necessary). No worries, we'll do the very best we possibly can for you!! :)

Happy Holidays!
Trace

What mods do you do for the AOR's anyway? They always sound a little fuzzy and boomy for me. Not focused enough if you get what I mean.

chumbucket":2bjaazlq said:
voodooamps":2bjaazlq said:

Happy Holidays!
Trace

What mods do you do for the AOR's anyway? They always sound a little fuzzy and boomy for me. Not focused enough if you get what I mean.

I understand where you are coming form and we hear the AOR series the same way. There are a wide variety of things with the AOR's. We can do some simple tweaks to much more in depth Modifications. I believe Adam's Laney has a HG-Jose Mods but the same Mods that apply to the Marshall JCM800 2004/2203's. We've done our new Sear-Mod and UG-Jose Mods. We also have a brand new Tsunami-Mod high gain Mod (feel free to email for details).

Have a great day! :)
Trace

Hey Trace, thanks for the response I'll call the shop as soon as I can (I've got a bad cold now) and watch here now that I've got a stable computer (blew 2 HD's) and then totally pooped the bed. This AOR says it has an HT fuse on the back. I really hope it's not an OT, just the other (possibly cheaper) repairs. I'll know my budget in a 2-3 weeks and send it out with my bassist.

Thanks so much,
Adam

Thanks for all the help Trace. You guys got my amp up and running again this summer. I love it!!!! I might be interested in upgrading the mod too. Do you have any info to post about the UG, Sear, and Tsunami mods?

neoclassical":ulg9gbj1 said:
Thanks for all the help Trace. You guys got my amp up and running again this summer. I love it!!!! I might be interested in upgrading the mod too. Do you have any info to post about the UG, Sear, and Tsunami mods?

I will list these Mods in order of the amount of available gain on tap.

HG-Jose Mod – This is pretty well documented and has enough gain for most applications. We offer Custom versions of this Mod that has two (2) gain controls, Push/Pull Bright switch located on Gain-1 Control and a Push/Pull Saturate switch located on Gain-2 control. The amp can go from super clean tones to plexi’esq tones, hard rock to 80’s tones and more.

Tsunami Mod – This is a newer Mod and we will be adding it to our site soon. It is a 4-gain stage high gain Mod that very organic in nature as well as being smooth/easy to play on. The Tsunami Mod can be done with one (1) or two (2) gain controls depending on the level of versatility you may want.

UG-Jose Mod – This is a higher gain version of our HG-Jose Mod (HG = High Gain and UG = Ultra Gain). Some loved the HG-Jose Mod but wanted more gain/sustain. We can usually install both into one amp as well as a mini toggle switch that will allow you to select between the two, essentially bypassing an added gain stage.

Sear Mod – We designed this to be the highest gain Mod we have (IE: Searing Gain). This was designed for heavy Modern Metal tones. Check out the new Five Finger Death Punch record as Jason Hook used this on that recording of that record. It was a Custom Modded version, IE: we installed two (2) gain controls where as the normal Mod consists of one (1) gain control.

All of these Mods have the option for the adding additional “Add-On” controls for improved versatility.

Let me know if you have any questions :)
Trace

lowmantotempole":1plpx5yg said:
voodooamps":1plpx5yg said:
Sear Mod – We designed this to be the highest gain Mod we have (IE: Searing Gain). This was designed for heavy Modern Metal tones. Check out the new Five Finger Death Punch record as Jason Hook used this on that recording of that record. It was a Custom Modded version, IE: we installed two (2) gain controls where as the normal Mod consists of one (1) gain control.

So what amps are you using as the base for these mods?

A JCM800 2203x or 1959reissue are ideal platforms. They can also be older 70's Super Leads/1959 models or the late 70's JMP Master Volume models.

Thanks!
Trace

Back