W/D vs 2 amps

barnesjd

I've been planning on getting a second amp to run simultaneously with my current amp, but lately I've been reading a lot about W/D and W/D/W setups. I know that 2 amps isn't W/D, but I have in mind that I would put my effects on one and leave the other dry.

That being said, what is the differences or advantages/disadvantages of 2 amps vs W/D? I am aware the the cost of W/D is lower because a power amp won't cost as much as a whole 'nother head plus the Lehle Dual that I have for driving two amps. Are there other reasons to prefer W/D over two separate amplifiers?

barnesjd":21bj125m said:
I've been planning on getting a second amp to run simultaneously with my current amp, but lately I've been reading a lot about W/D and W/D/W setups. I know that 2 amps isn't W/D, but I have in mind that I would put my effects on one and leave the other dry.

That is by definition a Wet/Dry configuration (Dual mono), which DOES require 2 amps.

barnesjd":21bj125m said:
That being said, what is the differences or advantages/disadvantages of 2 amps vs W/D? I am aware the the cost of W/D is lower because a power amp won't cost as much as a whole 'nother head plus the Lehle Dual that I have for driving two amps. Are there other reasons to prefer W/D over two separate amplifiers?

Wet/Dry IS a (2) amp scenario. Stereo is as well; it depends on how you choose to configure things

Yeah so "stereo" is when both amps get the effect, like ping pong delay, for example. Wet/Dry is when only one amp gets the effect (I think most people actually put a bit of dry into their wet cab, so technically it's often wet/wet-dry). And if you go nuts with w/d/w you need three amps and both wet amps would be "stereo" by both receiving the effects (something like slightly delaying and detuning each wet cab a bit differently from each other).

As for whether you just run a line-out of your main amp to a stand-alone power amp or use two completely different amps: kinda depends on what you want and how much you can carry. I've used two completely different amps a few times (Marshall 2204 with a Triple Rec), and man it can be fun, but that's a lot of stuff and just was kind of a hassle.

Other than hauling it all, the disadvantage to using two completely different amps is that it can sound odd when one of the amps drops out (like with delay: you'd hear only one amp repeating). That may or may not be a big deal depending on how the amps are dialed in. But if you're getting the treble and gain from one amp and the bass from the other, hearing the repeat of just one of those amps can get weird sounding.

I am not a fan of W/D, I don't get the point of it. I like W/W because you then can go full stereo and your effects sound correct. Just set the rig up properly to where you can go W/W, and back to D/D.

RJF":2lyye4ep said:
I am not a fan of W/D, I don't get the point of it. I like W/W because you then can go full stereo and your effects sound correct. Just set the rig up properly to where you can go W/W, and back to D/D.

The main point of it is to not have the use of external gear alter the 'Core' amp tone(s), by NOT having A/D:D/A conversion mucking w/ the sound, and to provide more options. :thumbsup:

I setup my rig 'properly' to be able to run mono, w/d, w/d/w, wd/d/wd, w/w/w, d/d/d, or Stereo. I like options. :yes:

I run wet/dry mainly for the pureness of the tone running effects between the 2C+ and power amp. Effects loops, no matter how transparent don't sound as good as this. The second and equally fun thing for me is turning my 2C+ into a Coliseum on steroids by reamping with a Strategy 400 and going from 60w to 200 per side. Complete overkill but fun! :rock:

Racerxrated":j7rk2nqe said:
I run wet/dry mainly for the pureness of the tone running effects between the 2C+ and power amp. Effects loops, no matter how transparent don't sound as good as this. The second and equally fun thing for me is turning my 2C+ into a Coliseum on steroids by reamping with a Strategy 400 and going from 60w to 200 per side. Complete overkill but fun! :rock:

I like the way you think. :thumbsup: OVER-kill FTW!

I am doing similar, but actually have a MKIII Coliseum Simul-Class head as one of the amps in the rig, and run through the Simul395 for the wet. BIG BIG tone even at whisper volumes, and can get loud enough to sterilize you. :LOL: :LOL:

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/76-zach rack tales.mp3

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/14-whitesnake_Mark_III.mp3

Zachman":105divof said:
Racerxrated":105divof said:

I am doing similar, but actually have a MKIII Coliseum Simul-Class head as one of the amps in the rig, and run through the Simul395 for the wet. BIG BIG tone even at whisper volumes, and can get loud enough to sterilize you. :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: I was on the hunt for a Coli and actually grabbed a Mk 2B Coli but it had power/stby switch issues so I returned it. Plus it was hard to tighten up with pedals. Then I came up with my evil plan to find a quality power amp..almost grabbed a 295 for 500 until a fellow R/Ter offered me a Strategy for a good price, needed a servicing but I jumped on it. Its really the EXACT tone of the 2C+, just incredibly huge instead of just louder. That line out works great on the Mesa. Not so much on the 4104 combo I just got, gonna grab a Suhr line out or Bray line out box, Bray's is 1/4 the cost....

Racerxrated":1yjn73vj said:
Zachman":1yjn73vj said:
Racerxrated":1yjn73vj said:

:LOL: :LOL: I was on the hunt for a Coli and actually grabbed a Mk 2B Coli but it had power/stby switch issues so I returned it. Plus it was hard to tighten up with pedals. Then I came up with my evil plan to find a quality power amp..almost grabbed a 295 for 500 until a fellow R/Ter offered me a Strategy for a good price, needed a servicing but I jumped on it. Its really the EXACT tone of the 2C+, just incredibly huge instead of just louder. That line out works great on the Mesa. Not so much on the 4104 combo I just got, gonna grab a Suhr line out or Bray line out box, Bray's is 1/4 the cost....

:rock:

Bummer about the power/Standby switch issue. The 2B Coli sounds different than the MKIII Coli. mentoneman (my best friend) had one and we A/B'd them and he'll tell you. Of course, he says I have good luck w/ amps and guitars, and wished the 2B Coli sounded (on the lead channel) like the MKIII Coli. The Clean channel was AWESOME, but the lead channel didn't even come close.

I got this one new back in '86, and was informed by Boogie that it was the 13th one produced (No stripe), and I LOVE it!

I remember years ago, doing a studio session, the Power switch on my MKIII Coli fried, so I pulled out the chassis, cut the wires to the power switch and tied them together and when I plugged it back in, it worked, so I was able to finish the session. I then replaced the switches, soon after.

Zachman":10v1at61 said:
RJF":10v1at61 said:

The main point of it is to not have the use of external gear alter the 'Core' amp tone(s), by NOT having A/D:D/A conversion mucking w/ the sound, and to provide more options. :thumbsup:

I setup my rig 'properly' to be able to run mono, w/d, w/d/w, wd/d/wd, w/w/w, d/d/d, or Stereo. I like options. :yes:

Yeah I ran w/d with a SLO and a Recto only because I couldn't get either amp's loop to play nice. Likewise my Marshall has no loop, so w/d it is unless I run the delay up front.

cardinal":y9bdbme1 said:
Zachman":y9bdbme1 said:
RJF":y9bdbme1 said:

Yeah I ran w/d with a SLO and a Recto only because I couldn't get either amp's loop to play nice. Likewise my Marshall has no loop, so w/d it is unless I run the delay up front.

I salute your taste in gear. :thumbsup: :rock:

I'm not a fan of running Delays in front of an overdriven amp. If, the delay HAS to go in front, I prefer it after an OD, or Distortion box, but am thankful I don't have to deal w/ the compromises any more. The exception being, if I am going for a lo-fi result.

Zachman":icw0z06b said:

I'm not a fan of running Delays in front of an overdriven amp. If, the delay HAS to go in front, I prefer it after an OD, or Distortion box, but am thankful I don't have to deal w/ the compromises any more. The exception being, if I am going for a lo-fi result.

Haha your gear is epic, dude.

I ended up with a LovePedal Echophonic Jr. because I was victimized by a Pete Thorn demo of it running in front of a gained-up Marshall. It actually does ok. You can get four or so clear repeats that actually are audible. Hahaha. Low standards, but it's better than the other delays I've tried.

But nothing I've used beat a Chandler SDE in wet/dry. Wish I still had that thing.

Zachman":28wps7zz said:
Racerxrated":28wps7zz said:
Zachman":28wps7zz said:
Racerxrated":28wps7zz said:

Bummer about the power/Standby switch issue. The 2B Coli sounds different than the MKIII Coli. mentoneman (my best friend) had one and we A/B'd them and he'll tell you. Of course, he says I have good luck w/ amps and guitars, and wished the 2B Coli sounded (on the lead channel) like the MKIII Coli. The Clean channel was AWESOME, but the lead channel didn't even come close.

I got this one new back in '86, and was informed by Boogie that it was the 13th one produced (No stripe), and I LOVE it!

I remember years ago, doing a studio session, the Power switch on my MKIII Coli fried, so I pulled out the chassis, cut the wires to the power switch and tied them together and when I plugged it back in, it worked, so I was able to finish the session. I then replaced the switches, soon after.
I'm about 75 miles from Mpls...I need to check out the small shops from time to time....because this last spring some lucky dude found a Mk2C+ Coli in a shop up there, paid less than a grand for it and gets it home..pulls the chassis out and not only is it a 2C+ but its one of Prince's he used on the Purple Rain tour..damn...lucky dude!

cardinal":2nyi0a1c said:
Zachman":2nyi0a1c said:

Haha your gear is epic, dude.

I ended up with a LovePedal Echophonic Jr. because I was victimized by a Pete Thorn demo of it running in front of a gained-up Marshall. It actually does ok. You can get four or so clear repeats that actually are audible. Hahaha. Low standards, but it's better than the other delays I've tried.

But nothing I've used beat a Chandler SDE in wet/dry. Wish I still had that thing.

Pete does great demo videos and is a fantastic player, and I believe is like me in that his approach re: gear-- is that of them being tools to get a job done.

I believe, that for the MOST part, there are a bunch of different ways to get to the target zone of a workable result(s), BUT I also recognize that when our preferences are VERY specific, sometimes (It can drive one insane lol-- too late for me), there often aren't a whole lot of alternatives to get us there.

I look at gear like tools to be selected, routed, programmed and utilized to achieve 'specific' results, in specific settings. Put simply If I want a Strat and a Twin tone, I don't bother trying to figure out how to make a Crate amp and an Aria ZZB Deluxe, or a banjo through a pignose amp sound like a Strat and a Twin tone. I used to be in that situation (different gear, but still), and I don't miss it. I'd use the Strat and the Twin, nowadays, and/or whatever else. ;) I'm not spoiled. I earned it, but I AM particular, and like we all do-- have my favorites/preferences, and am thrilled to (after many years of wanting) be in a position to indulge them. Fun stuff!!!

Racerxrated":1hkmmmi3 said:
Zachman":1hkmmmi3 said:
Zachman":1hkmmmi3 said:

I'm about 75 miles from Mpls...I need to check out the small shops from time to time....because this last spring some lucky dude found a Mk2C+ Coli in a shop up there, paid less than a grand for it and gets it home..pulls the chassis out and not only is it a 2C+ but its one of Prince's he used on the Purple Rain tour..damn...lucky dude!

COOL story. It just goes to show, you never know what might turn up, for a killer deal.

I could tell you stories about KILLER cheap gear deals, that I am grateful for running into. (Right place/Right time) :yes:

I got my 20 space A&S shock case for $100, and the board and case that my foot controller, Volume pedals etc. are mounted on and travel in for FREE :D

I got my '65 bastardized Fender Super Reverb for FREE
USA Fender Strats for $200 w/ case in MINT condition. Oh ya... FUN, especially for a cheap bastard like me. :yes: :LOL: :LOL:

Zachman":6nprc0pa said:
barnesjd":6nprc0pa said:

That is by definition a Wet/Dry configuration (Dual mono), which DOES require 2 amps.

Goes to show how much I understand about W/D. :)

I thought W/D meant you had one preamp fed into a power amp for one cab (dry) and also through effects and into another power amp (wet).

barnesjd":2p8jef58 said:
Zachman":2p8jef58 said:
barnesjd":2p8jef58 said:

Goes to show how much I understand about W/D. :)

I thought W/D meant you had one preamp fed into a power amp for one cab (dry) and also through effects and into another power amp (wet).

How's that different? One side/Amp-A/cabinet A= DRY/unaffected guitar signal, and the other side/Amp B/cab B=WET/effects.

It'll soon start to make sense. :thumbsup:

Zachman":1zuxcd21 said:
How's that different? One side/Amp-A/cabinet A= DRY/unaffected guitar signal, and the other side/Amp B/cab B=WET/effects.

Well that's what I would have thought! But I was led to believe differently in this reply... :confused:

barnesjd":2nt7o879 said:
Zachman":2nt7o879 said:

Well that's what I would have thought! But I was led to believe differently in this reply... :confused:

:dunno:

I don't claim responsibility for the understanding, and/or comments of others, nor the advice they may offer.

What I'm telling you is correct.

If you have any specific questions that will help you to understand more clearly, don't hesitate to ask. :thumbsup:

I run wet dry because I just love the raw tone of an amp, but like the sound of the wet side to thicken it up. I run the wet side way lower than the dry...well unless I feel like doing a john sykes then I crank the wet.

I have been toying with doing a stereo rig but i'm kind of a "one sound" guy so not sure if I could find a second tone that I would just EQ to sound like the other one :LOL: :LOL:

Back