What’s an amp you want to give a second chance

Bogner Ecstasy 6L6. Played one at Make-n-Music in North Hollywood in the early 90s. Was blown away - and had no chance of affording one at that time in my life. Bought a perfect condition used 6L6 XTC a couple years back. Had it for a month. Tried everything I could think of and was at best 'meh'

As much as I loved that first one a played through years (decades?) ago I'd really like to take another swing at it.

For its one I never see . I had a Hughes and Kettner Warp X . Its was cool but I had bills to pay stacking up . I didn’t give it enough a chance
I’m actually on the hunt for one of those funny enough. They are so rare. Even when I tried buying one back in the day when they came out they always have seemed to sell out when I was ready to drop the cash. I’ve never played one before.

There are two amps that come to mind for me; Mesa Triple Crown and Friedman Butterslax. Maybe I wasn’t in the mood but I did not see the special appeal these amps get. Nothing much to say other than they were very vanilla. Nothing stood out sonically.

The 3rd would be Krank, which as you’ve seen I already crossed that off the list. Still enjoying it. Great amp to blend with. I wouldn’t use it as my main rig but it’s definitely not as awful as I remember or what others make it to be.

Amps I've given a second chance to and kept:
  • Headfirst Alta 100
  • Diezel VH4 (different year)
  • Mesa Boogie JP-2C
  • VHT Deliverance (got a 120w old VHT one the second time around; insane amp)
  • Marshall AFD 100
Amps I've given a second chance to and sold again:
  • Omega Granophyre 1.5
  • Friedman BE-100
  • Marshall Vintage Modern
  • Stock Marshall JCM 800's
  • Mesa Boogie Dual Recto Rev F
  • Naylor SD 60
Amps I'm currently interested in giving another chance:
  • Marshall 2555
  • Friedman JEL (waiting on the 50w)
  • Naylor SD (would love a 100w with more options)
  • Carstens Amplification Warm Machine
  • Friedman Twin Sister

I would love to get my hands on and a pre rocktron Egnator TOL again. That amp had 4 very good channels and rivaled the best amps I have ever had but I sold it. It was in tough company at the time. a couple Camerons, Bogner 100b, Fish,Caveman, SLO, Komet 60, Wizard Metal X
Heck, I would love to have all those again... :unsure:

As far as amps I have tried but was sort of meh... I would like to try a Wizard MC25 again. or an MC 50? Played my friends a few years ago and did not like it much, but played another one about a year ago and thought it was quite good but I still could not wash the first bad taste out of my mouth.. He loves it and gets good results....I dug the Metal X I had but it was a bit too much.... I recently heard some clips of an MC25 that sounded great!.. Not sure what the deal was first go round??? but I would like to try one again to know... Definitely would want to try before buy though.

I try not to flip amps super quickly, even if I don’t really enjoy them. So I can let them collect dust and give them a second chance later on.

Except for another recto, would be chance number 5 or 6 at this point. They tend to create a real love hate relationship with me.
Rectos just have "that sound" and even if it's not your sound, I feel like a lot of times I buy one because I just want to have that sound on hand. But ultimately, I am not a Recto guy at all. Hence why I've owned maybe... 4 of them? Sold them all, lol.

On the fence for second chance:

EVH 5150 III Stealth 6L6
Mesa Mark Series

Will definitely acquire again at some point:

Diezel Herbert
Marshall JVM410H

I had a Peters GNL that I sold quick because it wasn’t what I was looking for at the time. It ended up working out because I got what I was looking for but I kind of wish I held onto the Peters anyway.

I'd probably go Diezel Herbert again. I got on with the amp originally and wouldn't mind giving it another go. Or maybe a Quick Rod. First QR I had was amazing, lost that amp in a rehearsal fire. Got another QR expecting the same and it was just way off. Not sure what happened there.

That said I tend to lean towards amps that were mainstays at one time and I moved on not because I didn't like them but I just don't keep alot of amps around. I'm a one amp guy, I get my sound and that's it until something makes me change. And it's generally the run of the mill stuff like a JSX, OG 5150 or even the reissue that I'd like to have again just to have.

Most of the boutique stuff I've gone through, no regrets on letting them go.

Last edited:
The only amp I've owned twice at this point is the OG Peavey Butcher, and if I ever found another one for cheap, I'd probably buy it.

I may end up buying another 5150. I don't honestly know why I sold mine.

There are some other amps I would buy again if I found them cheap enough. Krank Rev 1, Marshall JCM 900, I would even buy another Blue Doodoo to fuck around with if it was cheap enough. I know they pretty terrible, but I like a challenge. :ROFLMAO:

I'd probably go Diezel Herbert again. I got on with the amp originally and wouldn't mind giving it another go. Or maybe a Quick Rod. First QR I had was amazing, lost that amp in a rehearsal fire. Got another QR expecting the same and it was just way off. Not sure what happened there.

That said I tend to lean towards amps that were mainstays at one time and I moved on not because I didn't like them but I just don't keep alot of amps around. I'm a one amp guy, I get my sound and that's it until something makes me change. And it's generally the run of the mill stuff like a JSX, OG 5150 or even the reissue that I'd like to have again just to have.

Most of the boutique stuff I've gone through, no regrets on letting them go.
Herbert can do anything . It’s not just a metal amp

#1....Randall C200. My best bro and I traded it back and forth god knows how many times for cheap bux or trade bait. I finally let go for real after acquiring a couple of Randall X2 heads. Wish I had kept the C200.

#2 and 3....the Mark III C++ and the FJA recto I got from Mailman. At least I still have his FJA 6505.

Back