What are you guys using for direct mount humbuckers to support the pickup ?

screamindemon

Hey guys got a couple guitars with direct mount hums. The pickup is angled and is not stable need to wedge foam of something under it to support it.
I have tried wedging foam in the past but may need a better foam.
What are you guys using ?

Thanks

Yes foam is the best way imo. It helps to already know where the pickup height will need to be with the specific model so that you can use a piece of foam that is thick enough to compress when the pickup is set at playing height. You can use weather-stripping foam that already has some sticky on the back.

You might want to get some that is skinny and thinner because that way you can use a bit more (by layering) on the bridge side of the pickup and actually calibrate the angle. I personally like a tiny bit of inward lean to the bridge pickup so that it is slightly closer to the open strings on the bridge side,,,,,just barely. I like the angle of the pickup's top to be even with the string's angle when they are fretted at the higher (22nd,24th) frets.

Yes foam is the best way imo. It helps to already know where the pickup height will need to be with the specific model so that you can use a piece of foam that is thick enough to compress when the pickup is set at playing height. You can use weather-stripping foam that already has some sticky on the back.

You might want to get some that is skinny and thinner because that way you can use a bit more (by layering) on the bridge side of the pickup and actually calibrate the angle. I personally like a tiny bit of inward lean to the bridge pickup so that it is slightly closer to the open strings on the bridge side,,,,,just barely. I like the angle of the pickup's top to be even with the string's angle when they are fretted at the higher (22nd,24th) frets.
Thank for the reply, and tips. Weather strip foam with adhesive is a great idea. I’m going to get some foam and give it a shot.

Nothing wrong with that, but personally I don't like it because once you set the spacer screw in the middle you are locked-in on the distance from string to pickup. There is no "after-adjustment" possible without taking it all apart. I like to move the pickup up and down through the sweet-spot zone to find my optimal height. I know in the video he measured it before starting, but I've found height adjustment to be more of a minute art than one could possibly get perfect with a ruler. Sometimes with normal mounting methods it is that final half or even quarter screw rotation when you find tonal perfection.

Also with that middle spacer screw touching against the bottom of the pickup's baseplate it seems like a recipe for unwanted annoying vibrations.
If I was going to use this I would probably put a rubber cap (like you use to cover un-used plugs on a daisy-chain pedal power setup) over the top of the center screw to muffle any potential unwanted vibrations.

Nothing wrong with that, but personally I don't like it because once you set the spacer screw in the middle you are locked-in on the distance from string to pickup. There is no "after-adjustment" possible without taking it all apart. I like to move the pickup up and down through the sweet-spot zone to find my optimal height. I know in the video he measured it before starting, but I've found height adjustment to be more of a minute art than one could possibly get perfect with a ruler. Sometimes with normal mounting methods it is that final half or even quarter screw rotation when you find tonal perfection.

Also with that middle spacer screw touching against the bottom of the pickup's baseplate it seems like a recipe for unwanted annoying vibrations.
If I was going to use this I would probably put a rubber cap (like you use to cover un-used plugs on a daisy-chain pedal power setup) over the top of the center screw to muffle any potential unwanted vibrations.
I totally agree with the adjustment of the pickup. I had to take the thing apart multiple times to get what I was looking for. As far as vibrations? Non to speak of live. My master volumes are at 12 to 1 o’clock. I still have the foam between the pickup and body on other builds, just figured I would give it a shot.
Best of luck with your choice…

I totally agree with the adjustment of the pickup. I had to take the thing apart multiple times to get what I was looking for. As far as vibrations? Non to speak of live. My master volumes are at 12 to 1 o’clock. I still have the foam between the pickup and body on other builds, just figured I would give it a shot.
Best of luck with your choice…
I guess in reality that screw is probably tight enough against the baseplate so as to not have any vibrational issues. Maybe it even contributes to the tone improvements that they are claiming.

Have you noticed a fuller tone with this system? I have always believed that everything matters so it would make sense, but that is also something that might be harder to notice at live band volumes vs an alone living-room practice session.

I guess in reality that screw is probably tight enough against the baseplate so as to not have any vibrational issues. Maybe it even contributes to the tone improvements that they are claiming.

Have you noticed a fuller tone with this system? I have always believed that everything matters so it would make sense, but that is also something that might be harder to notice at live band volumes vs an alone living-room practice session.
I used it on an alder explorer build with a Duncan 78. In my studio by it self, note articulation does stand out for my ears... I figured I would give it a try. My other direct mounts are with foam and JB's or full shreds. Live on larger stages, unless they have a killer monitor system you get what you get. I just haven't bonded with in ears.

Back