What do you look for in a “good amp”

Dyllheaven88

What’s your go to for a quality amp ? I have a pretty small list I always need to check
- mv
- noise floor
- string separation /Clarity
- thump / low end hit
- cut through a band setting .

Those are my mains for every amp I own, what’s y’all’s

Honestly these days being very different from usual is a must . I really like weird shit at times . But rich and able to be tight are the others

Outside of the tone itself: simplicity, reliability, quality, affordability.

I am only interested in used amps because of the ridiculous premium you pay for anything new. I think staying with tried and true stuff is generally the best pathway. It's the player, not the amp. Most people don't know, can't tell, and wouldn't care anyways. Gimme a cheap earlier SF Twin or a reasonably priced NMV Marshall and I will get the work done.

I lean towards Marshall-esque tones, so that's part of it. Plus obvious things like reliability. Beyond that:
  • I like a 3-way bright switch on every channel.
  • If it's a multi-channel amp, I'm looking at the tube layout and seeing how much of the topology is shared between channels.
  • I also like MIDI control on my channel switchers. Being able to switch channels, bright, effects loop, Master1/Master2, boost, etc., with a single button.
  • Easy bias test/adjustment points.

The most important part for me is quality of tone. Does it sound rich, organic, is there complexity to the notes or is it more 2D, filtered or processed sounding like most recent amps. This applies to most instruments in general imo, not just guitars or amps

Then there’s functional parts to the tone like is it tight, punchy and well balanced eq-wise. And then just taste stuff like does it growl well on powerchords vs staying too smooth

Last edited:
There are certain standard features that I think are indispensable, and when am amp doesn't have them, I find it very frustrating. Aside from the obvious volume, gain, bass, mids, and treble, an amp should have a proper presence control that actually works. The Peavey Ultra Plus is a great amp that is seriously crippled by the lack of a presence control. My Uberschall is one of my favorite amps, but its "presence" control is horseshit.

An amp should have a proper loop with at the very least a send or return level control, preferably both.

Something that would be super useful, but is actually kinda rare, is a global master volume.

As far as the tonal qualities, I tend to prefer an amp that has a bit of chewyness to it, but still tight. I guess it's largely a feel thing. Also, gotta have plenty of low end and tight low mids, but not at the expense of high end tightness.

In a band, I have different requirements than just at home:

- Loud but able to be really quiet when needed and sound amazing
- Defined, not flubby
- Enough gain to cover the bases but nice and clean too

Reactions: Geo
Like others, I gravitate towards Marshalls...but the most valued attributes are punch, clarity, richness/3D/Organic/whatever term you can relate to. Don't need a loop anymore; I like to slave to a WDW rig....and don't need a master vol, after hearing how amazing a non master amp can be.

1. Reliability / Low Maintenance - Amps that don't hold up are too much trouble, regardless of how good they sound

2. Flexibility - I want a good clean and an over the top high-gain sound...and at least one good "in between" sound, preferably two

3. Sound Great At TV Volumes - I rarely have the opportunity crank up these days...It's got to sound great at low volumes

4. Covers Different Eras Well - I don't want an amp that just sounds "classic" or just "modern"...It's possible to do both (like my two main amps)

5. Ease of Use - I don't mind getting to know an amp and it's functions...But it shouldn't take months of use and constant tweaking to dial in

6. Aesthetics - Yes, I said it. I want my amps to look cool...I just do. Sleek, black and grey is what works for me

Last edited:
Back