What is "The Cameron Tone"

glip22

I see allot of posts referring to this. What type of tonal words do you have to decribe "The Cameron Tone"? One for me is Mark knows how to tame ac heater supplies which according to him sound better than regulated dc.

Its defintitely a "feel" when you to me. But sound wise, I've heard people compare it to a Mesa. I've only had a Mesa 50cal, Dual Rec and a Mark V. It really doesnt sound anything like any of those to me, but it does have elements of the Mesa Sound/Feel that I can see why people think its more Mesa than Marshall.

In my opinion it has a hot rodded sound of a Marshall with the thump that you feel when you chug on the low strings like you get when you play a cranked Dual Rectifier. But sound nothing like a fizzy rectifier, just has that thump feel that I loved about playing my dual rec.

But its not a Marshall sound and its not a full blown modern sounding amp, its a happy medium. But you can get the Marshall sounds with flipping the switches off.

The cameron CCV is my favorite amp to play, out of my Dual Rec, Mark V, and my Axefx II just for the feel. I have an old Lee Jackson head that sounds pretty good also, but damn you have to crank the volume to get it to that sweet spot.

The CCV is nowhere near a Mesa DR in tone or feel. The Cameron will never get that mushy and fall apart. Nothing toward Mesa - I played the DR for years. But, there is nothing about the two you can compare, other than they are both made in California!

I wasn't saying they sound alike, its just the CCV has one quality of the DR that...I dont know how to explain it other than than a thump when you play.

Play a Mesa Mark V in Mark IV mode, for while then switch it to the Extreme mode thats kind of what Im talking about.

Tone wise they sound nothing a like.

Just my opinion, and I wish I could explain it better, but it seems like there is something happening with the upper midrange of most Camerons that isn't in a lot of other places. Almost borderline cardboardy, but just where you love it. Almost like a wah-cocked a bit at all times. The feel ain't bad either tho. ;)

You can sorta dial it out, but to me, that's what I love about camerons.

NS10Fan":3ioqwf4u said:
Just my opinion, and I wish I could explain it better, but it seems like there is something happening with the upper midrange of most Camerons that isn't in a lot of other places. Almost borderline cardboardy, but just where you love it. Almost like a wah-cocked a bit at all times. The feel ain't bad either tho. ;)

I know exactly what you are referring too :rock: My Handwired CCV circuit. Loads of gain and cool options. Jose Master, Push/Pull dual gains in classic Cameron style. Push/Pull mid boost-and Resonance.Three way tone stack voicings. Three way resonance voicings. PTP no boards.

glip22":27avo2uw said:
NS10Fan":27avo2uw said:

I know exactly what you are referring too :rock: My Handwired CCV circuit. Loads of gain and cool options. Jose Master, Push/Pull dual gains in classic Cameron style. Push/Pull mid boost-and Resonance.Three way tone stack voicings. Three way resonance voicings. PTP no boards.

Sweet Standel, ala Mark Cameron. Did you get the shell redone Gary? Looks cool, old school......congrats on that score.

steve_k":3qprir6z said:
glip22":3qprir6z said:
NS10Fan":3qprir6z said:

Sweet Standel, ala Mark Cameron. Did you get the shell redone Gary? Looks cool, old school......congrats on that score.
I found out the exact material used. The old vinyl was in decent shape but I redid it myself. I did upholstery when I was younger. This is exactly how the early famous 1956 Standels were done up.Came out better than when it was done when new. This Standel originally was going to be a high gain design under the Standel name. Mark was hired for this purpose. It turned out to be a non cost effective venture as Danny found out quickly there is no way to produce Mark's amps effectively. The amp began as an empty chassis so its a complete build by Mark. Mark told me the amps are CCV circuits. There were three Monster protos and about six more Mark had done. All CCV circuits with different options and power tubes in a few. They sat in the Cameron Boneyard until recently rediscovered. They are complete amps.

glip22":3resgoql said:
steve_k":3resgoql said:
glip22":3resgoql said:
NS10Fan":3resgoql said:

I found out the exact material used. The old vinyl was in decent shape but I redid it myself. I did upholstery when I was younger. This is exactly how the early famous 1956 Standels were done up.Came out better than when it was done when new. This Standel originally was going to be a high gain design under the Standel name. Mark was hired for this purpose. It turned out to be a non cost effective venture as Danny found out quickly there is no way to produce Mark's amps effectively. The amp began as an empty chassis so its a complete build by Mark. Mark told me the amps are CCV circuits. There were three Monster protos and about six more Mark had done. All CCV circuits with different options and power tubes in a few. They sat in the Cameron Boneyard until recently rediscovered. They are complete amps.

Nice man. Dibs...... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cameron + Standel = CANDLE

steve_k":hisxbnxi said:
glip22":hisxbnxi said:
steve_k":hisxbnxi said:
glip22":hisxbnxi said:
NS10Fan":hisxbnxi said:

Nice man. Dibs...... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cameron + Standel = CANDLE

:LOL: :LOL:

Whoever ended up with that "boneyard" is a lucky bastard. :LOL: :LOL:

2bf235c0.jpg

EXPcustom":2lii078u said:
Whoever ended up with that "boneyard" is a lucky bastard. :LOL: :LOL:

2bf235c0.jpg
:LOL: :LOL: Where's mine :doh: :hys: Damn, Is that an original Standel headshell you have there? Nice score. How many amps did Mark complete back then in the old days? Killer amps. Mine is flat out awesome. Has this amazing pure tube grind in the tone. Best I have ever heard in a handwired head. :yes:

Like Ferraris... The models vary in performance, options/features/sound, but the lineage is apparent.

Zachman":778jjvhh said:
Like Ferraris... The models vary in performance, options/features/sound, but the lineage is apparent.

I guess this is a very vague question. :confused:

That standel ccv proto on ebay right now is $3795, Wow, are they worth that much.

sjk":q91wp2ns said:
That standel ccv proto on ebay right now is $3795, Wow, are they worth that much.
I think the guy will work with a buyer. They are PTB handwired. No boards except some upright tag boards. Built to withstand a blast. They are not modded Standels. They were ground up built by Mark from an empty Chasis. I believe they were the earliest CCV's with an awesome Jose master. Not much has changed with MArk's CCV circuit. The difference is the option switches on the newer CCV's. The pull bright on the one on ebay is just like the left or right position on one of the gains on the CCV. Switch labeled bright. Mine has dual push/pull gains just like the CCV and several other options. If you offered me 3500, I would have to think on it real hard. Mine was originally built with the others but later modded with options. The studio guy who owned it was the original owner and kept it for years. I bought it from him. I took a chance because it was before anyone knew about the old amps Mark had completed while at Standel. I was not one bit sorry. The best amp I have owned. It has much more gain than the new production CCV I had. It rips without the Jose master engaged and has so many tonal options. Great cleans and mid gain in the low input which is similar to the CCV Channel one. The transformers in these old amps are great. Handwound and beefy as can be. Super articulate and loads of handwired grind with great feel.

Back