What is your bug out plan?

Late to the party but the plan is to grow existing relationships with neighbors. Most have livestock, chickens, ect and are on a similar page. Existing food and water stores are covered for 3+ months, from there it would be a lotta eggs and well water.

Immediate plan of attack would get every tree I possibly can cut down on the ground to dry out for firewood. Also would probably barricade the main roads to slowdown/ keep shitbags out. Probably also have dudes keeping an eye out with a warning system depending on power.

I think your probably looking at 2-4 weeks once the water goes off for most people to either die from either waterborne illness or violence. Dudes who think they can raid for all their supplies because they watched a YouTube video on cqb and own a knights rifle are gonna go real quick.

From there it’s back to leveraging skills/supplies weather that be building stuff, medical skills, ammo, ect. And this is assuming there’s no occupying force bombing the shit out of you.

I think being prepared is a great idea but I’m curious: what do you all have in mind that you are preparing for? I used to be more into the general “Prepper” ideals, but it finally occurred to me that the zombie apocalypse is unlikely to occur as we think it will, and probably won’t happen at all. When in history has it, other than for a limited time? War is the worst case scenario, so kiss goodbye the daydream of peacefully living off your land and playing guitar. In which case general preps (some food, water, fuel, meds, defense, maybe place to go) are the best you can do. There will always be organized groups with more resources than you — IE. Governments, gangs (I repeat myself) and so on that will overrun your stash if desired. And no man is an island anyways. So I say prepare, but prepare for a likely occurrence. Maybe that ends up looking more like a foreign bank account and a passport for example.

I'm just sort of tired of fighting to stay alive on this planet. I find more peace in just letting go and accepting what is going to happen, whatever that is. I mean I got 20 years left. I don't want to spend it worrying about impending doom. Time goes by fast as fuck. I commend you cats that are prepared. I'm just burned out from life and don't have the energy for prepping. Plus, I live in a city, so I'm screwed if it happens. I'll just head north to my dads place in NH. He's got about 20 cans of food that expired 10 years ago.

I think being prepared is a great idea but I’m curious: what do you all have in mind that you are preparing for?
Read the news..

When I bought this land 20 years ago, the shit you see going on in the world right now is why I set myself up like this.

The bullshit going on in the "sanctuary cites" don't play out here.

giphy.gif

You have a good point in your post today. But I ask you this here because where do you plan to go and how do you plan to get there?
I’ve considered many countries over the years. But family constraints and desire for the familiar have kept me around. I guess my question is, again, for what specific scenario? Consider what just happened with COVID. Where would you realistically go to avoid that? In general if I wanted to escape the US I think Mexico is the best option, largely because of proximity.

In general I like the idea of some minimum of supplies, say a month or two, ideally a second location away from cities to head to, and then just play it by ear and make decisions based on what’s going on at the time. Have some cash and gold or silver, maybe Bitcoin is a good idea too. But I’ve come to reject the idea of some lavish retreat or counting on self-substistence for any length of time.

I got you.

And yeah, circumstance is everything. A black out for a few days or my city water being shut off for a week isn't going to impact me greatly. Maybe Mexico is close enough to you that can simply drive there on a tank of gas and figure it out later.

My point of this thread is to not be in a situation where I have to figure it out later. I want some plans in place because if there is a major issue, I don't want to scramble and/or try to call my family or buy a ticket or expect my financial broker (bonds and annuities and 401k whatever) to cut me a check or send me cash.

And this thread is not about me trying to say I have it all figured out :LOL:

There is still a lot I need to do and figure out before I am at an ideal state.

The full blown "preppers" may be going too far - if they obsess over it, as that does not seem like a quality of life to me. So I'd say I'm kind of in the middle of 'whatever happens happens' and 'OMG the world is ending and I need to fill this hole in the ground with 4 mo of canned food and water'

I got you.

And yeah, circumstance is everything. A black out for a few days or my city water being shut off for a week isn't going to impact me greatly. Maybe Mexico is close enough to you that can simply drive there on a tank of gas and figure it out later.

My point of this thread is to not be in a situation where I have to figure it out later. I want some plans in place because if there is a major issue, I don't want to scramble and/or try to call my family or buy a ticket or expect my financial broker (bonds and annuities and 401k whatever) to cut me a check or send me cash.
Well, you're familiar with IT security right? So what is your threat model? (I believe that term is not exclusive to IT but that's were I first learned about it).

...Since you brought up financial assets, you should really check this out if you haven't heard of it: "Our bank deposits and stocks and bonds, in the event the depository institution gets into trouble, belong to the depository institution’s creditors, not to us. All assets are pooled and serve as collateral whether or not labeled “segregated.”" https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2024/04/11/the-great-dispossession/

Well, you're familiar with IT security right? So what is your threat model? (I believe that term is not exclusive to IT but that's were I first learned about it).
Was. I retired. But I am familiar. My threat model to ensure sustainability somewhat mirrors what corporations and the government (try) do today to protect themselves and keep up with the industry - and keep up with the threats. :yes:

In the old days it was lock the door to the mainframe room.
Then it was Firewalls and Access Lists.
That grew into Cybersecurity.
Which morphed into ZTNA methodology. Zero Trust Network Access.
Then MPLS and Access Control basically merged into SASE (Secure Access Services Edge).
And now we have to deal with MultiCloud and AI and DevOps and the ever increasing ability of penetration hackers.

AT&T, one of the best at this game, just got hacked and gave up info on 72m customers.

So, that kind of goes back to the gist of this thread. One has to look at all factors of concern and try your best to be prepared for whatever.

...Since you brought up financial assets, you should really check this out if you haven't heard of it: "Our bank deposits and stocks and bonds, in the event the depository institution gets into trouble, belong to the depository institution’s creditors, not to us. All assets are pooled and serve as collateral whether or not labeled “segregated.”" https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2024/04/11/the-great-dispossession/
I'll check this out later, but that's what I was saying. :dunno: I'm not going to be able to access my retirement funds in a global meltdown or even a 1 week electrical grid/internet black out.

I think being prepared is a great idea but I’m curious: what do you all have in mind that you are preparing for?
Doomsday like everyone else is my man. Ultimately for me it worked better as low paycheck protection. I got through quite a few lean times stocking up on this that and the other when things were better. Pretty much why I harvest deer every year and try to grow a few small things, peppers, a couple spices, onions, radishes, etc depending on how motivated I am in the spring. I have chickens but it's still cheaper to just buy eggs (and less hassle), but again I got that "not that many gigs this month" protection and I have food on site rather than at a store. I was hoping to have painted desert and jacob's sheep for eating and milking one day when I had proper fencing I just don't know how many more years I feel like staying here.

Doomsday like everyone else is my man. Ultimately for me it worked better as low paycheck protection. I got through quite a few lean times stocking up on this that and the other when things were better. Pretty much why I harvest deer every year and try to grow a few small things, peppers, a couple spices, onions, radishes, etc depending on how motivated I am in the spring. I have chickens but it's still cheaper to just buy eggs (and less hassle), but again I got that "not that many gigs this month" protection and I have food on site rather than at a store. I was hoping to have painted desert and jacob's sheep for eating and milking one day when I had proper fencing I just don't know how many more years I feel like staying here.
giphy.gif

Some kinda pig was my other thought. I was trying to bait wild hogs out here a while back but I kept falling asleep before prime hunting hours, lol
People do eat them.. I would never.

I've trapped them and shot them.

They are so nasty, and dangerous.

Back