What is your bug out plan?

Sounds like a lot of work.

:rolleyes:
Unless I had cornish crosses or rangers I wouldn't do it again. Unless it's a dedicated broiler it's hardly worth it at all unless you're starving but I didn't want the roosters to go to waste. They will probably be dog feed next time, lol.

I feed the roosters to my dogs.

🐕

You only need one rooster for every 25 hens.
Yeah that's about what I have now. I had two for about 22 and it was ok though there were a couple moderately abused hens. I was keeping a backup breeder. Good thing cause one died. My incubator crapped out last year though so maybe next season I'll raise a new flock. Not sure what I'd like to get though to mix. I have brahmas and partridge rocks now. I had fayoumis but they all flew away. :LOL:

Yeah that's about what I have now. I had two for about 22 and it was ok though there were a couple moderately abused hens. I was keeping a backup breeder. Good thing cause one died. My incubator crapped out last year though so maybe next season I'll raise a new flock. Not sure what I'd like to get though to mix. I have brahmas and partridge rocks now. I had fayoumis but they all flew away. :LOL:
I just order a "straight run" from Tractor Supply every season.

🐔

I just order a "straight run" from Tractor Supply every season.

🐔
I've gone through Meyer hatchery several times. Straight runs as well. I have to say they have been great. Overnight shipping ten bucks and no dead birds. A couple times I opted to receive birds other than those I selected when they were over-ordered. That's how I wound up with the brahmas. Now I have brahma-partridge rock mixes.

I've gone through Meyer hatchery several times. Straight runs as well. I have to say they have been great. Overnight shipping ten bucks and no dead birds. A couple times I opted to receive birds other than those I selected when they were over-ordered. That's how I wound up with the brahmas. Now I have brahma-partridge rock mixes.
Bought some birds from this woman who billed herself as "teh Crazy Bird Lady Of Centerpoint" a couple times.

:giggle:

In general I like the idea of some minimum of supplies, say a month or two, ideally a second location away from cities to head to, and then just play it by ear and make decisions based on what’s going on at the time. Have some cash and gold or silver, maybe Bitcoin is a good idea too. But I’ve come to reject the idea of some lavish retreat or counting on self-substistence for any length of time.
30 round P mags will be the new currency brother.

Well, you're familiar with IT security right? So what is your threat model? (I believe that term is not exclusive to IT but that's were I first learned about it).

...Since you brought up financial assets, you should really check this out if you haven't heard of it: "Our bank deposits and stocks and bonds, in the event the depository institution gets into trouble, belong to the depository institution’s creditors, not to us. All assets are pooled and serve as collateral whether or not labeled “segregated.”" https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2024/04/11/the-great-dispossession/

Yeah....I believe most of all of that. And my house is technically property of eminent domain so :dunno:

PS: I've considered raising chickens for a long time but everyone I talk too, @VonBonfire just confirmed, they are a lot of work.
I raised chickens for a few years.
I let them free range during the day, as evening would settle in, they would make it back to roost in their coop I built off the end of my barn.

However, the fox weren't able to nab them at night, once they were onto the chickens being there, they were taking them during all hours of the day.
Twice I chased fox off.

I was in my barn one morning, around 10am.
I hear all kinds of chicken commotion.
Look out the door and there's a fox chasing them.

Second time was coming home from little league practice, 7pm or so, and there's another chasing one of my hens.
Tried to run it down with my truck.

Then, they liked walking up the gravel edge of the road.
You have nitwits that like to run them down.

Don't have them now, but they were the best eggs I ever ate.
Never felt taking care of them was any bother.

I miss watching them from the back porch, they were pretty entertaining.
Had a couple that would follow me around, in and out of the barn.

We now have a Mennonite who drops off ten dozen at a time for us.

My neighbor has free range chickens. They cross our road all the time - seemingly when I'm coming and going. I swear, one of these days I'm going to forget to use the brake pedal.

Not a vegan by any means. Just curious how the chickens feel about all of this, particularly the part about being killed and eaten?
images

Back