What is your bug out plan?

you want to live after TEOTWAWKI....have a lot of salt on hand as well as access to water. and boomsticks...with ammo. Old school black powder is a good option because of casting bullets and possibly making powder.
Good advice, especially the salt in a no refrigeration long term situation. I would add people always forget dental floss and toothpaste....your teeth don't last long if you aren't taking good care of them. One bad tooth and you're done. Plus floss can be good cordage in a pinch. I like that big fat walgreens brand kind. Tough stuff.

Good advice, especially the salt in a no refrigeration long term situation. I would add people always forget dental floss and toothpaste....your teeth don't last long if you aren't taking good care of them. One bad tooth and you're done. Plus floss can be good cordage in a pinch. I like that big fat walgreens brand kind. Tough stuff.
that's how my grandparents and great grandparents lived. Salt cure or brine everything. Smoking hams and such as well. Most stuff grown was to feed animals that you ate. Root cellars and smoke house. Cut ice blocks in the winter and pack in salt and sawdust in the cellar. Amish still do this. salt pickling with brine. Easy to do...just add salt till a raw uncracked egg floats and your good. Just make sure to put something to keep whatever submerged or it will rot. Can everything. Veggies, meat....shit way to live but doable. Hell we did not have running water till I was 13. Had an outhouse down below the house. Learned quick to adapt in the cold months or at night. 5 gal bucket with a lid. Then you got a toilet seat to put on it. Try to sit on a bucket and shit and you will see why we bought a seat for it. Dump it in the morning if used. Also a bag of lime in the outhouse for the summer months. Gets pretty rank when trying to use it. We heated the bathwater on the stove and shared it. Just how it was.

Just found some cool shit that might be relevant to some in this thread. It's paracord, but inside are 7 strands. Some cotton, one filament ( thik fishing line) and one red waxed jute strand for fire starting. I just tried it out back with a ferro rod. Worked really well. I think I paid $11 for 100' of it. Weaved some of it through the eyelets on the sheath for my newest fixed blade. The sheath also has a little sleeve for a ferro rod.

Maybe not much of a consideration for "Bugout", but definitely something to throw in a get home bag.

Just found some cool shit that might be relevant to some in this thread. It's paracord, but inside are 7 strands. Some cotton, one filament ( thik fishing line) and one red waxed jute strand for fire starting. I just tried it out back with a ferro rod. Worked really well. I think I paid $11 for 100' of it. Weaved some of it through the eyelets on the sheath for my newest fixed blade. The sheath also has a little sleeve for a ferro rod.

Maybe not much of a consideration for "Bugout", but definitely something to throw in a get home bag.
I like it.

I'll add it to my OP along with 1/2 ton of salt. I would think if you salt,smoke,brine something correctly and stick in a lockbox in a cave it will last a very long time.

It's good info. I will say not all paracord is equal. Premium paracord will outlast the cheap knock off stuff by about 3x in terms of usability. Quality paracord lashings are good for probably 7-10 years of high strength lashing before the material is sun compromised. The cheap stuff is good for maybe 2 or 3 years before it gets hard and unworkable.

It's good info. I will say not all paracord is equal. Premium paracord will outlast the cheap knock off stuff by about 3x in terms of usability. Quality paracord lashings are good for probably 7-10 years of high strength lashing before the material is sun compromised. The cheap stuff is good for maybe 2 or 3 years before it gets hard and unworkable.
I have what for me is probably a lifetime supply of really good paracord. This paracord is definitely not that. The only draw for this stuff is the firestarter and the fishing line. I wouldn't use it for typical paracord activities other than in an emergency situation.

Back