what little jazz picks you guys liking?

dstroud

I just switched to the little 1.14 tortex purple ones. i tried the black and red jazz ones, didn’t really like the tone. I’ve got a few thinner ones coming. .60mm and .73mm should be interesting. what are you guys liking?

I'm using the 1.0 mm Tortex blue ones. Considering going to the 0.88 green ones.

I shred the Tortex ones like they're made of chalk, but I like how they sound the best for rhythm. They're snappy rather than thuddy like Nylon/Stiffo or chirpy like Ultex.

The lighter, the snappier too. But if I go too light, it feels like playing with a sheet of cardboard too. So I'm trying to find a happy medium.

If you like the old Fender celluloid tone then the 551 Heavy is great...except they wear out and hate pick scrapes like Fender celluloids always have. But they still sound great. I often use the Eric Johnson Jazz III (which are a little different and sound a little different than regular black or red Jazz IIIs) but if I want that last piece to EVH tone (and good sounding pick scrapes) then I use the 551 Heavy. With it being so small the Medium is too thin for me. And I used Medium when I used full sized celluloid picks.

I have never liked the nylon jazz picks. I like the 1mm and 1.14mm Tortex Jazz III’s sometimes (the ones I have white or black). I also like the Primetone Jazz III’s, I think they’re the 1.4mm. Pricey but they don’t seem to wear down much with use.

I generally feel more comfy with the plain old normal shape Tortex picks in .88mm or 1mm though. I will switch to the jazz on certain guitars or to play certain things because they just make me play differently - lighter and more economical.

I've used the red Jazz IIIs 99.9% exclusively for about 20 years now...not sure what the thickness is, but I use them for electric, acoustic, rhythm, lead, etc. Yearrrrrrs ago I took one of my friend's black Jazz IIIs and it just set in a small box of various guitar stuff for years and broke it out the other day so I alternate between the black and red one. I get years of use out of a Jazz III so with the few I have in a pick holder in that box, I'll likely never need to buy another pack of picks lol

.88mm Tortex Jazz XL

I like Guthrie Govan’s analogy for picks. “You couldn’t write with any degree of control using a wobbly pencil. Guitar picks are the same way.”

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves...fix=daddario+picks,aps,173&sr=8-10&th=1&psc=1
5544B825-2ACF-4FFD-88D8-D25A517118B4.jpeg

Used to use those purple tortex many moons ago. Went back to the regular size and using ultex now. Trying to decide if I like the 1.0 or .073’s.

Back