What Speakers / Cabinets Are You Using with the Atomica?

plexipwrd

I recently purchased the Atomica and the Cameron 4x12 with which I believe is loaded with the G12H 70th Anniversaries. I am finding the cab / speakers to be a bit bright.

I also have a Marshall 1960AHW which is loaded with the G12H-30 55hz Heritage speakers....which is what I thought was loaded in the Cameron Cabinet. This cabinet and speaker combination sound killer with the Atomica. I am thinking I may try to swap the 1960AHW speakers into the Cameron cab.

I was quite surprised to learn that the Cameron 4x12 cab is loaded with the G12H 70th Anniversaries. With the cost of the Cameron cab, I would have thought that the G12H-30 Heritages would have been used (which are far superior speakers IMO).

Curious as to what other Atomica owners are using for cabinets and speakers.

When I ordered mine Brad explained the Atomica is voiced for G12H30's. I use two Port City 2x12's loaded with H30's. Easier to carry. Sounds great!

Cheers Rich

you'd probably hate what I'm running, but I really the speaker combination for all my amps. I'm using a Mills Acoustics 412B with V30 x Scumback J75 65W. The V30 keep the lows tight and percussive, while the scummies bring out a nasty grind and tame some top end.

I have the Cameron 4X12 Cab with the G12H30 70th Anniversary's and they do not sound that bright with the Atomica!!! I think it actually sounds awesome IMO.

Erock":rgaw5ojc said:
you'd probably hate what I'm running, but I really the speaker combination for all my amps. I'm using a Mills Acoustics 412B with V30 x Scumback J75 65W. The V30 keep the lows tight and percussive, while the scummies bring out a nasty grind and tame some top end.

Thanks for the response Erock.

I probably wouldn't hate what your running. I have listened to Pete Thorns demo of the Scumbacks and I like the J75's. I am considering combinations in my cab as well. Only problem is in a live situation typically only 1 speaker gets a mic. Are you mic'ing 2 speakers when live?

metalmaniac93":pgaqqjq5 said:
I have the Cameron 4X12 Cab with the G12H30 70th Anniversary's and they do not sound that bright with the Atomica!!! I think it actually sounds awesome IMO.

Don't get me wrong , the Atomica and the cab sound really good. Maybe the speakers just need some break in as they seem a little bright to me. Have you noticed a change in the speakers since you bought your Cameron cabinet?

My Marshall 1960AHW with the Heritage 55hz speakers took some time to break in ...they were really bright at 1st as well.

I suffer from the disease.......tone chasing..... for which there is no known cure.

That being said, the Atomica is the best sounding amp I have ever owned / played.....and I've had a few! :rock:

plexipwrd":18civm3q said:
metalmaniac93":18civm3q said:

Don't get me wrong , the Atomica and the cab sound really good. Maybe the speakers just need some break in as they seem a little bright to me. Have you noticed a change in the speakers since you bought your Cameron cabinet?

My Marshall 1960AHW with the Heritage 55hz speakers took some time to break in ...they were really bright at 1st as well.

I suffer from the disease.......tone chasing..... for which there is no known cure.

That being said, the Atomica is the best sounding amp I have ever owned / played.....and I've had a few! :rock:

I have not noticed a change so far since I have not played it enough to break them in. Zach is using the Helltones, which are broken in H30s. I have tried the Atomica through the cabs at Tone Merchants loaded with V30s and Greenbacks. Sounds really good as this combo is what Dave likes for the Friedman amps. Other speaker combos I have seen used with the Cameron LG/HG Jose mods are the Scumback M75/H75 combo, which I will pickup down the road for my Bogner OS 212.

Yeah, there is no cure for tone chasing except to quit playing!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

plexipwrd":17990zqg said:
Erock":17990zqg said:

I probably wouldn't hate what your running. I have listened to Pete Thorns demo of the Scumbacks and I like the J75's. I am considering combinations in my cab as well. Only problem is in a live situation typically only 1 speaker gets a mic. Are you mic'ing 2 speakers when live?
I don't play out at all any more, so can't tell you how it responds live. Typically I would only mic one speaker, and I'm used to using a V30 in that application. I have mic'd it up with both speakers for recording, and it can sound pretty badass when the levels are right. However, not sure I would want to dick around with that setting up. I can tell you the combination sounds killer standing in front of the cab though, and also layered or mixed on recording. :yes:

Erock":3omoyzoe said:
plexipwrd":3omoyzoe said:
Erock":3omoyzoe said:

I don't play out at all any more, so can't tell you how it responds live. Typically I would only mic one speaker, and I'm used to using a V30 in that application. I have mic'd it up with both speakers for recording, and it can sound pretty badass when the levels are right. However, not sure I would want to dick around with that setting up. I can tell you the combination sounds killer standing in front of the cab though, and also layered or mixed on recording. :yes:

Heck, I might try one J75 65W with one of the V30s in my Bogner OS 2X12. I was thinking of going with the M75/J75 mix or all J75s for the Bogner OS 2X12.

metalmaniac93":c3ppbx55 said:
Erock":c3ppbx55 said:
plexipwrd":c3ppbx55 said:
Erock":c3ppbx55 said:

Heck, I might try one J75 65W with one of the V30s in my Bogner OS 2X12. I was thinking of going with the M75/J75 mix or all J75s for the Bogner OS 2X12.

I am thinking of trying the M75/J75 mix in my Cameron cab as well.

I think the combination would be killer with the Atomica!

plexipwrd":266jvrq3 said:
metalmaniac93":266jvrq3 said:
Erock":266jvrq3 said:
plexipwrd":266jvrq3 said:
Erock":266jvrq3 said:

I will be getting this combo tomorrow; so I will let you know!!!

metalmaniac93":3en6d1ue said:
plexipwrd":3en6d1ue said:
metalmaniac93":3en6d1ue said:
Erock":3en6d1ue said:
plexipwrd":3en6d1ue said:
Erock":3en6d1ue said:

How did it work out for you? I just ordered a couple BM75 - 65W for an old Mesa Rectifier 2x12 I have lying around. I figure it will be primarily used for the Atomica and CCV.

drewiv":4zrm1iy4 said:
metalmaniac93":4zrm1iy4 said:
plexipwrd":4zrm1iy4 said:
metalmaniac93":4zrm1iy4 said:
Erock":4zrm1iy4 said:
plexipwrd":4zrm1iy4 said:
Erock":4zrm1iy4 said:

How did it work out for you? I just ordered a couple BM75 - 65W for an old Mesa Rectifier 2x12 I have lying around. I figure it will be primarily used for the Atomica and CCV.

Well I got them put in last Thursday and that definitely live up to the hype. They kick ass!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: This combo in the Bogner OS 212 has the warmth of the M75 and the "in your face" tone of the J75, but it is never harsh. It actually sounds less harsh as the Cameron 4X12 with the H30s, which is probably because of the Cameron 4X12 cab (original designed version) being a larger thicker cab. I like the way it sounds and gives me an alternative to the Cameron 4X12. I think the BM75s would sound great. They were my 2nd choice.

metalmaniac93":3hkg8wo3 said:
drewiv":3hkg8wo3 said:
plexipwrd":3hkg8wo3 said:
Erock":3hkg8wo3 said:
plexipwrd":3hkg8wo3 said:
Erock":3hkg8wo3 said:

Well I got them put in last Thursday and that definitely live up to the hype. They kick ass!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: This combo in the Bogner OS 212 has the warmth of the M75 and the "in your face" tone of the J75, but it is never harsh. It actually sounds less harsh as the Cameron 4X12 with the H30s, which is probably because of the Cameron 4X12 cab (original designed version) being a larger thicker cab. I like the way it sounds and gives me an alternative to the Cameron 4X12. I think the BM75s would sound great. They were my 2nd choice.

That is what Jim recommended for me and my gear, I'm going to trust him. We'll see how it goes. The Mesa 2x12 is a rather compact cab, maybe my list of gear and the small cab led him to choose the BM75s. I'm excited to have another useful cabinet that has recently been collecting dust. I'm happy to hear that you're loving your new speakers.

drewiv":1dqw60id said:
metalmaniac93":1dqw60id said:
drewiv":1dqw60id said:
plexipwrd":1dqw60id said:
Erock":1dqw60id said:
plexipwrd":1dqw60id said:
Erock":1dqw60id said:

That is what Jim recommended for me and my gear, I'm going to trust him. We'll see how it goes. The Mesa 2x12 is a rather compact cab, maybe my list of gear and the small cab led him to choose the BM75s. I'm excited to have another useful cabinet that has recently been collecting dust. I'm happy to hear that you're loving your new speakers.

Thanks!!! They are defintely worth the investment especially for 2X12 cabs since Jim has the higher watt speakers and the 65W ones work fine for me.

Back