What type of tubes are you using in your Modern Classic?

Superunknown

I think that I have settled on JJEL34L power tubes and EH pre-amp tubes. I also ran a JJ in V1 with LPS in V3-5 with great results....

What do you guys use?

Sylvania 6L6. THE 6L6 for my tastes.

Been itching for EL34s lately, as my thread showed.

Funny you say the 6l6's cause my favorite MC100 I have had to date was just a single input MC100 with 6l6's in it. It was the small logo single input no boost version. Freaking awesome. Didn't have the low end oomph on it, but it had so much grind it was unreal.

joshsage":s2bqaik7 said:
Funny you say the 6l6's cause my favorite MC100 I have had to date was just a single input MC100 with 6l6's in it. It was the small logo single input no boost version. Freaking awesome. Didn't have the low end oomph on it, but it had so much grind it was unreal.

Sounds like mine, except mine has LOTS of low end along with that hellish grind.

I had it updated about 5 years ago with the current features and the original tone is still there :thumbsup:

I think I read a post on another forum talking about how wizard amps "eat" preamp tubes...it strikes me as an odd statement because I never thought of preamp tubes as working in the same fashion as power tubes in terms of open/closed open/closed etc...anyone have this experience in the preamp section?

lespaul6":2axt6ox8 said:
I think I read a post on another forum talking about how wizard amps "eat" preamp tubes...it strikes me as an odd statement because I never thought of preamp tubes as working in the same fashion as power tubes in terms of open/closed open/closed etc...anyone have this experience in the preamp section?
I haven't owned mine long enough to see how it goes thru preamp tubes, but I can tell you already it opens a can of whoop-ass on power tubes. I have noticed a lot of people seem to run the gain dimed on the pre though, so I could see it eating up pre tubes that way.

I am hoping when I get mine it will be "THAT GOOD" so then I will gladly buy some tubes and stop buying as many amps. This has gotta be cheaper if it works. :yes: :LOL: :LOL:

HOLLYWOOD":2w41nfpe said:
I am hoping when I get mine it will be "THAT GOOD" so then I will gladly buy some tubes and stop buying as many amps. This has gotta be cheaper if it works. :yes: :LOL: :LOL:

Amen! I am gonna order one this coming new year and tubes will cost me a lot less then buying and selling amps. uuhhhh! :doh:

I got one coming with the next batch. This is the same order that most of these guys are posting about waiting on their wizards also. Friggin holiday shipping is a bummer. My guess is that the holidays will add an extra week or two wait.
Usually without fail if you get an amp at the end of the year this is how it goes. Same thing happened with my Bogner that I ordered at the end of 2008. What should have been 3 days was 14 days because of the x-mas new years holidays. :doh:

Erock":2wy9rct3 said:
lespaul6":2wy9rct3 said:
I haven't owned mine long enough to see how it goes thru preamp tubes, but I can tell you already it opens a can of whoop-ass on power tubes. I have noticed a lot of people seem to run the gain dimed on the pre though, so I could see it eating up pre tubes that way.

Gonna be sweet getting a tube eating monster like the MC. Got some lame ass amps where tubes last forever and a day. Having one on the edge is going to be awesome. Serial number on the head is WM550. Wonder who has the other 549? Checked on the tracking and it is southbound from the north country. Yippee...hippies. :D

Steve

:confused: No mention of a 549 but I think my Wizard Serial number should be after yours. :scared: Your Wizard and mine are identical. :yes: Twins....................... :LOL: :LOL: Both are gonna rock and, be loud as hell! ;)

lespaul6":2iwrb43j said:

That was a totally unsubstantiated statement on other forum. I've played Wizards since 98 and I don't think they go through tubes particularly faster than your average amp.

thegame":2grme3hn said:
lespaul6":2grme3hn said:

That was a totally unsubstantiated statement on other forum. I've played Wizards since 98 and I don't think they go through tubes particularly faster than your average amp.

preamp tubes no.. Power amp tubes, I am with erock. Not saying they eat them markedly faster, but they open a can of whoopass on them.
Josh

There was another thread some while back regarding switching out pre-amp tube's on the AC4TV.A 12AU7 will give you even more headroom,but I must confess I still haven't got round to it yet!I also understand that the stock tube's are Electro Harmonix.

I have had the amp for two weeks and haven't even opened it up yet to see what's in it. I am slipping..... :confused: May have a peek inside today....

Gonna gig with it this weekend. Gonna run it along with Mark III, I have decided.

Steve

JJ's across the board in mine. Gonna get out the box-o-tubes and see what sort of preamp cocktail I can find to go back with. A decent NOS tube in V1 may take care of the high gain hiss. I am hoping this thing has an adjustable bias in the chassis. Got a set of Winged C's to replace the power section.

Steve

From everything I have been discussing with a few guys they say those RFT 12ax7 pre tubes are really a great choice for the Wizard mc-100 amps.
I am trying to finally decide about getting those. Justdave42 has some for sale at a decent price and I have been poking around my usual connections to see what is available new, or I should say NOS. :LOL: :LOL:

steve_k":15kwuk0i said:
JJ's across the board in mine. Gonna get out the box-o-tubes and see what sort of preamp cocktail I can find to go back with. A decent NOS tube in V1 may take care of the high gain hiss. I am hoping this thing has an adjustable bias in the chassis. Got a set of Winged C's to replace the power section.

Steve

Let us know how those Winged C's work out for you?

Hollywood":xrw5ie69 said:
From everything I have been discussing with a few guys they say those RFT 12ax7 pre tubes are really a great choice for the Wizard mc-100 amps.
I am trying to finally decide about getting those. Justdave42 has some for sale at a decent price and I have been poking around my usual connections to see what is available new, or I should say NOS. :LOL: :LOL:

http://thetubestore.com/rsdecc83.html

jackdenial":2wa4mdcb said:
There was another thread some while back regarding switching out pre-amp tube's on the AC4TV.A 12AU7 will give you even more headroom,but I must confess I still haven't got round to it yet!I also understand that the stock tube's are Electro Harmonix.

Stock tubes are not EH.
They are the chinese triple mica that a lot of manufacturers use.

12AU7 in a MC100??? :gethim: Don't you dare! (You will lose significant gain)

Back