What's a good tuner/pedal for accuracy for intonation?

489F752E-6CAD-4130-91B0-0112A616CDC4.jpeg

Not to derail the thread at all but you'd think the clip on tuners would be the beez kneez :dunno:

Looking forward to a higher quality clip on tuner :yes:

Wouldn't the vibration of resonance through the wood along with the sound vibrations be perfect?

I love clip on tuners for silent tuning and the resonance thing but I do find I have to "fine tune" by ear.

I absolutely love my Peterson Strobo-stomp. It was a bit more expensive than some of the alternatives, but it is heavy and durable and very well-made. The screen is large and easy to see. Of course, accuracy is insane. When setting intonation, I do prefer plugging into a tuner, rather than having one clipped on the headstock. I like to know that the tuner is registering only the vibration between the fretted 12th fret and saddle, which is coming through the pickup when plugged into the tuner - as opposed to a clip-on out at the end of the headstock. Finally, the display on the Strobo-stomp is large enough I keep it on my main board when I’m not using it to set intonation.

https://www.petersontuners.com/products/stroboStompHD/

Sorry for hijacking thread, but guys, how do you tune your guitar? I know, probably by rotating tuning pegs. But what I mean is how hard you pick the string, for example?

I heard that in studio guitars are sometimes tuned a little bit lower, so notes don’t go sharp during tight riffage. Can you please chime in your pro tips? I haven’t found anything worthy while googling.

^ There was a cool thread here sometime back about how EVH tuned his guitar strings up or down a few 'cents' here and there but I can't find it.

I just tune my guitar dead on with the tuner and then adjust by ear or the 5th fret method until I'm happy where I'm at.

^ There was a cool thread here sometime back about how EVH tuned his guitar strings up or down a few 'cents' here and there but I can't find it.

I just tune my guitar dead on with the tuner and then adjust by ear or the 5th fret method until I'm happy where I'm at.
I think I remember reading something a while back about how he didn't tune to standard pitch like most people, he'd get the sound he liked out of his low e and tune the rest relative to that and go to town. At that point, Michael Anthony would tune to him and then Dave would just sing along with that, in between all his noises and yeahs and whoos.

I would love an elaborate guide with tips. Because I don’t believe my ears and like when everything is measured with a precise device.

I would love an elaborate guide with tips. Because I don’t believe my ears and like when everything is measured with a precise device.
I hear ya

If I go dead on to tuner I don't like my G and B string so I notch it down a few cents - particularly the B.

That said, my go to key is drop C. I personally wouldn't go by one guide, do what sounds good and check out what others are doing and experiment.

That said, I really need to invest in a good tuner :D

I hear ya

If I go dead on to tuner I don't like my G and B string so I notch it down a few cents - particularly the B.

That said, my go to key is drop C. I personally wouldn't go by one guide, do what sounds good and check out what others are doing and experiment.

That said, I really need to invest in a good tuner :D

AJFA sounds good

881D2EE4-3457-478A-9FDA-2067367660B1.jpeg

Sonic Research ST-300 pedal. Inexpensive and literally 10x more accurate than anything short of a pro level strobe tuner. For general tuning such accuracy isn’t necessary but it absolutely is for setting intonation IMO.
This.

I have a couple of them

Not a pedal, but I've been using the Peterson Stroboplus HD for years. Prior, my favorite "pedal" format was the TC Polytune. Anything with a good, accurate strobe is the way to go. I found the Sonic a bit "quirky"..

Back