What's The Deal With Swamp Ash ?

IMO, if I were building a guitar to chug, Swamp Ash would be a last choice. Maybe Swamp Ash with a Maple top.

I have 4 Warmoth builds with swamp ass bodies and a Solar with swamp ass..no issue with bottom end or clarity at all.

I have 4 Warmoth builds with swamp ass bodies and a Solar with swamp ass..no issue with bottom end or clarity at all.
The emerald ash borer, also known by the acronym EAB, is a green buprestid or jewel beetle native to north-eastern Asia that feeds on ash species. Females lay eggs in bark crevices on ash trees, and larvae feed underneath the bark of ash trees to emerge as adults in one to two years.

The emerald ash borer, also known by the acronym EAB, is a green buprestid or jewel beetle native to north-eastern Asia that feeds on ash species. Females lay eggs in bark crevices on ash trees, and larvae feed underneath the bark of ash trees to emerge as adults in one to two years.
They went thru Ohio a few years back and killed all the ash trees around us.

They went thru Ohio a few years back and killed all the ash trees around us.
"Swamp Ash" is pure marketing.

It is ash that tends to grow quickly in wet conditions. There is no actual species named "swamp ash".

The claim that the weight of a wood being in a certain range to be ideal for lutherie is pure opinion.

"Swamp Ash" is pure marketing.

It is ash that tends to grow quickly in wet conditions. There is no actual species named "swamp ash".

The claim that the weight of a wood being in a certain range to be ideal for lutherie is pure opinion.
I was told the ash we had was northern ash. Which is heavy and the stuff growing in the south is swamp ash and lighter.

Had a northern ash warmoth mockingbird guitar that weighed a million pounds and sounded terrible. Also the 70’s heavy ass Fenders were northern ash.

Currently Have an Anderson Hollow T classic which is swamp ash and sounds awesome.

Like I said previously all the ash trees around us are dead.

I was told the ash we had was northern ash. Which is heavy and the stuff growing in the south is swamp ash and lighter.

Had a northern ash warmoth mockingbird guitar that weighed a million pounds and sounded terrible. Also the 70’s heavy ass Fenders were northern ash.

Currently Have an Anderson Hollow T classic which is swamp ash and sounds awesome.

Like I said previously all the ash trees around us are dead.

I'm not a wood expert but I've got a 20018 non-swamp ash Fender Tele that weighs just over 7lbs, lightest guitar I've ever owned.

Back