What's the most you've spent on a piece of gear.

$2500-ish multiple times.
You should never have to spend $3500 to $5000 for one guitar or amp.
If you do thats called "marketing".
20 years ago Id agreed, but given information regarding rarity/scarceness (supply and demand), whether it’s still manufactured, and inflation, any gear that was $2500 15 years ago isn’t unrealistically above $3k these days. I personally can’t see spending that kind of money on amps unless it’s possible to recoup enough to lose on taxes/shipping or break even.

With guitars I always expect to lose out - but as with anything there is indeed an investment aspect to go along with it.

20 years ago Id agreed, but given information regarding rarity/scarceness (supply and demand), whether it’s still manufactured, and inflation, any gear that was $2500 15 years ago isn’t unrealistically above $3k these days. I personally can’t see spending that kind of money on amps unless it’s possible to recoup enough to lose on taxes/shipping or break even.

With guitars I always expect to lose out - but as with anything there is indeed an investment aspect to go along with it.
3323483f5f6a86a224424.png

Gear prices are like real estate & property values they fluctuate.
What goes up always comes down.
I have friends in the mortgage industry they are predicting a bigger crash than 2008.
Those drinking the gear price koolaid will sober up eventually.
The perversion of music gear & their prices remind me of 80's cock-rock in 1991.
It all came tumbling down.
boxy-knitted-plain-vintage-90s-grunge-t-shirt-holy-garbage-lingerie-vintage-online-shop-grunge-indie-germany-2.jpg

About 14 years ago I paid $5000 for a 1961 SG Standard that Gibson had factory refinished (stamped a new serial # on it as well) in cherry red. The PAF's were long gone, but the guitar played really nice, so I cleaned up all the wiring and put in Jim Wagner Crossroads pickups (aged) and never looked back. Had to get that crappy sideways vibrola off of it, though...Jayzus, what a POS that thing is to use.

I had it converted to a stop tail with ABR-1 bridge, so it would stay in tune.

Pur

Bruh...PurityS.L.G.

Not that much different. Here and Guitar Gear Forum are like "who the fuck are you?" LOL

I'm the brother of Tornado of Souls, cousin of Bob Savage, nephew of Carlygtr, admirer of Digital Jams and tormenter of Warplanegreay

shitttttt those were some characters. The OG’s as far as i am concerned.

Gear prices are like real estate & property values they fluctuate.
What goes up always comes down.
I have friends in the mortgage industry they are predicting a bigger crash than 2008.
Those drinking the gear price koolaid will sober up eventually.
The perversion of music gear & their prices remind me of 80's cock-rock in 1991.
It all came tumbling down.

The difference is that not everyone can afford a house and not every single adult needs a guitar.

Let’s face it - many kids just don’t have interest in music and would prefer the instant gratification starting a YouTube channel sitting on their asses making money off of the advertising.

Supply and demand, along with inflation, will always the driver for gear prices on the used market. Demand is high with free time due to the pandemic, supplies are low due to demand and shortages of supply. Inflation is up due to government spending. Prices will be high to reflect it all - as expected.

The difference is that not everyone can afford a house and not every single adult needs a guitar.

Let’s face it - many kids just don’t have interest in music and would prefer the instant gratification starting a YouTube channel sitting on their asses making money off of the advertising.

Supply and demand, along with inflation, will always the driver for gear prices on the used market. Demand is high with free time due to the pandemic, supplies are low due to demand and shortages of supply. Inflation is up due to government spending. Prices will be high to reflect it all - as expected.
I just sold a $4K flametop LP on Wednesday and frankly i was concerned to even take out of the house let alone to a gig and it was insured.
I'll stick to my Tokia LP/Epi SG & ESP guitars.
As for what other people spend on gear, not my concern.
But i see $600 to $800 Mexico Fenders and $400+ foot pedals all the time.
Absurd.
Having said all that .... im trying to work a deal on a Gibson 61 RI SG as we speak LOL.

I don't see an issue with spending a lot on a quality piece of gear as long as you:
  • Have the extra money to spend on it
  • Know you will use it often and enjoy it
  • Or know you can flip it for about as much as you bought it for if needed

Life may be shorter than one assumes...can't take it with ya...live it up as long as you have the coin. If it satisfies, money is irrelevant.
Very true. I had to deal with testicular cancer late last year and then chemo treatments for 3 months afterward. I'm doing good now, but that experience really put my mortality into question. The past several months I've been heavy into gear buying/selling to try out some more expensive stuff that I would have never given the time of day otherwise, in an attempt to find a few "lifer" amps that I love. My logic being: life is short and the cancer could possibly come back.

I know it's not completely rational. I do feel like I have been living life more fully since chemo finished though.

Life may be shorter than one assumes...can't take it with ya...live it up as long as you have the coin. If it satisfies, money is irrelevant.
So,
Should I give all you grave digging gear whores my address now so yins can snag my gear before the woman craigslist that shit?
By the way, I got a tube stash too so look for the black Pelican cases loaded with glass.

Very true. I had to deal with testicular cancer late last year and then chemo treatments for 3 months afterward. I'm doing good now, but that experience really put my mortality into question. The past several months I've been heavy into gear buying/selling to try out some more expensive stuff that I would have never given the time of day otherwise, in an attempt to find a few "lifer" amps that I love. My logic being: life is short and the cancer could possibly come back.

I know it's not completely rational. I do feel like I have been living life more fully since chemo finished though.

I’ve seen a horrific accident on my usual morning commute to work, that a week later, had a cross and flowers posted by the accident site. It really puts into perspective how in a split second your entire life can be over and out of your control.

Enjoy life to its fullest - we aren’t guaranteed a second on this floating rock and are all trying to get by.

Its TOTALLY rational Brother.
God speed to you.

~$4k for my Larry dino 822 JM

And once my PMM is done, that will be around 6k, and take it's place as the most expensive.

I have no problem spending that much for amps, because there isn't anything that can do what those amps do.

Guitars, however, is a different story. Most of my guitars are relatively inexpensive - my most expensive is my silverburst Les Paul standard - 2200$. I also have a prestige heritage standard, and a Carlino impulse that were around a grand. I used to own a '77 Les Paul custom but I only paid a grand for it. (It got stolen out of our tour van)

Generally speaking, the diminishing returns comes into play with guitars far sooner than with amps, but only because of my personal needs, gearwise.

I imagine if you need a less specific amp sound, the diminishing returns will come into play much sooner.

Back