What's your favorite fret crowning file?

Matt300ZXT

I am considering picking up a used guitar that has some level flat spots on the frets. It must have been played a TON because it's only 2 years old. Anywho, they could use some recrowning. I also have a guitar or two where some of the frets probably have some divots from the strings or just flat tops that could use some work and I'm curious which file you guys like to use?

I've done some light fretwork with a luthier friend in the past but it's been a while. But he did have me use his fret press to make sure all the frets were seated, then showed me how to use the fret rocker, mark high spots and all that, so fret work isn't alien to me. I've just never owned any of my own tools. What is a good file you guys recommend after making sure the neck is flat and the frets get leveled just to add the nice cam lobe shape to the top of the frets again? I have a Dremel so I can get some little polishing wheels and some compound to make the mirror finish on them quick and easy, I just need a good file.

Fret Guru.

5Ei9vhv.jpg

I like the Stew Mac Diamond crowning file. No matter what you use you will still need to blend your ends into the crown starting with 220 grit working up but I get less file marks with this file over the flat file type. I wouldn't use a dremel. Start with 220 but only enough to get rid of the file marks, then go up to 600. Recheck with your rocker after you crown and use the 220. You might need a few tweaks. Then use 3m fret papers and go through the set. Perfect results. Double tape your board. I like Stew's low tack tape.

I’ve only used one and it’s the Stewmac one. It works well since it’s a single-use tool but I haven’t done every fret size with it. That one @PLX posted looks like it covers different fret sizes better which makes sense. The smallest and largest fret wire is a yuge difference. Yuge I tell ya.

There is also a fret end file that makes rounding them a breeze. Stewmac sells a kit. Overpriced (imo) but it’s generally good stuff.

I’ve only used one and it’s the Stewmac one. It works well since it’s a single-use tool but I haven’t done every fret size with it. That one @PLX posted looks like it covers different fret sizes better which makes sense. The smallest and largest fret wire is a yuge difference. Yuge I tell ya.
The one I posted is recommended for beginners at fret crowning - which certainly describes me. :rolleyes:

I'll leave the fret crowning to my luthier , I'm too impatient and the furthest thing from detail oriented as it gets. Not a good combination.

Fret Guru.

5Ei9vhv.jpg
That is what I use...

Best to practice on something "less Valuable", and/or get the metal Fret Board guards.

it is real easy to cut into the fret board with this one near the fret ends.

For rounding the fret ends, an inexpensive way to do it is go to Harbor freight and get a set of their needle files. take the flat file and
grind both edges smooth and polish it so it can slide on the fret board without digging in. Rounds the fret ends like a champ

it is real easy to cut into the fret board with this one near the fret ends.
I was worried about that, but it didn't happen.

I bought it because I had to replace two frets (21 & 22) that got pulled out of the fretboard when I dropped the whammy bar all the way down (strings flopping around) and when I let it come back up, the high E string caught under the fret edges and literally popped them out.

After replacing and crowning the two new frets I installed, it turned out so well I went ahead and re-crowned all the frets that were showing come fret wear.

OyB22jl.jpg

I've crowned hundreds of guitars to the point of needing to buy multiple replacement crowning files, thanks to stainless steel frets. I will only ever use Stewmac Z-Files, I won't ever touch a fret with any other file. The V groove ensures the file never comes close to blowing out the top of your crown and gives you the confidence to knock that crown out fast with consistent results. The way the file is made you also have no risk of tearing up the fretboard. I've taught many people crowning and I've seen many of them blow through the tops of their crowns, forcing them to re-level the frets. I've also seen people manage to slice the fretboard up parallel with the frets from the edges of those normal crowning files. Even safety edged ones. Rookie mistakes? Sure. However, I've never seen those mistakes happen with a rookie using the z-files. If you only use nickel frets, you'll only need 1 file forever. If you use stainless steel, it'll take you a LOT of crowning to wear it down. Buy once, cry once.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...-crowning/stewmac-z-file-fret-crowning-files/

Last edited:
Stew Mac Z-File is amazing. I’ve done frets on a bunch of my guitars and they always come out fantastic with the Z. Super easy to use.

Reactions: PDC
I was worried about that, but it didn't happen.

I bought it because I had to replace two frets (21 & 22) that got pulled out of the fretboard when I dropped the whammy bar all the way down (strings flopping around) and when I let it come back up, the high E string caught under the fret edges and literally popped them out.

After replacing and crowning the two new frets I installed, it turned out so well I went ahead and re-crowned all the frets that were showing come fret wear.

OyB22jl.jpg
Way to jump into the deep water. It's that quest for knowledge/experience. Well done.
I'll have to try one of these FretGuru files.

Back