What's your favorite preamp?

Code001

Been awhile since this topic has been discussed, and with the new Mako preamp being out, I figured it would be something worthwhile to talk about. So... what's your favorite preamp?

I am very interested in the preamp Dave Friedman has talked about making. If he did one with all of the voices he has done on the Naked, BE,HBE,C45, etc..... you know the ultimate kitchen sink.

stephen sawall":22x6q4s8 said:
I am very interested in the preamp Dave Friedman has talked about making. If he did one with all of the voices he has done on the Naked, BE,HBE,C45, etc..... you know the ultimate kitchen sink.

Easily done with two modules on an Egnater M4..although if he designs the whole pre-amp, am sure he could add some more mojo in too :)

JKD":1jcg6vaa said:
stephen sawall":1jcg6vaa said:

Easily done with two modules on an Egnater M4..although if he designs the whole pre-amp, am sure he could add some more mojo in too :)

Does he offer the Naked in modules ?

Of the ones I've played, I'd say Triaxis. But I'm most interested in a Bogner Fish, Peters Gryphon or Hydra pre, Friedman, or a Diezel preamp. (If Peter ever builds one)

JKD":39wqa3ra said:
stephen sawall":39wqa3ra said:

Ditto !

I got a RM4 w/ friedman HBE SL +, Brahma, Mr Scary and just waiting on Dave to send me my BE/C45/Sat plexi and I'll be set :rock:

The tones I get out of my RM4 are incredible - so much that I sold off my head collection

1. Slash Head
2. Lee Jackson XLS
3. Splawn Pro Mod
4. JCM800 2300X
5. JCM900 SLX

last to go is my Voodoo Amps Sovtek 100 Hex Head:thumbsup:

anything friedman is the Shit !

if it weren't for daves mods I would still have my marshall's

stephen sawall":2wp81a4t said:
JKD":2wp81a4t said:
stephen sawall":2wp81a4t said:

Does he offer the Naked in modules ?
I asked him that and he said no. The Naked tone comes from the whole amp, not just the Preamp. I will say he nailed the C45/BE/HBE sounds in the modules he did for me. Seems to me you approximate a Naked by just gaining out a C45 module and changing the highs.

CaseyCor":3ucnti96 said:
How about Olaf's Black Tiger pre-amp? Great sounding pre-amp, and you know the build quality is top notch.
Merci Casey :)

I like all kinds of preamps - IMO one cannot have enough to be flexible . . .

Mesa Studio Pre for its clean sounds
Quad for cleans and the MkII distorted stuff - a bit huge though :D
JMP-1 sounds cool in OD1 mode for the typical crunch, a bit limited still cool
X88R - best crunch ever and the trademark lead of course
Rockmaster for some more "evil" sounds
the CAE is nice too

duesentrieb":l4e7wln8 said:
CaseyCor":l4e7wln8 said:
How about Olaf's Black Tiger pre-amp? Great sounding pre-amp, and you know the build quality is top notch.
Merci Casey :)

I like all kinds of preamps - IMO one cannot have enough to be flexible . . .

Mesa Studio Pre for its clean sounds
Quad for cleans and the MkII distorted stuff - a bit huge though :D
JMP-1 sounds cool in OD1 mode for the typical crunch, a bit limited still cool
X88R - best crunch ever and the trademark lead of course
Rockmaster for some more "evil" sounds
the CAE is nice too

Ahem... :D
You could build an 8-channel preamp? :thumbsup:

Back