Where do you keep your guitars?

mrkmas

I would have thought this would have been discussed before, but I did a search and came up empty.
Do you keep your guitars in their case in a closet, or do you keep them on the wall or on a stand? Just curious as to what you would all consider the safest place for them?

Keep 'em in the cases, but let 'em out to breathe at least once every 3 or 4 weeks. This assumes you are in a climate controlled house with constant relative humidity as well.

I would never leave them on wall hangers (will discolour neck/headstock) or stands (could discolour multiple areas of a guitar and your kids/dogs/cats/snakes might knock them over).

Just my $0.02.

I work at home, usually about 15-20 minutes at a time out of every half hour, and I keep one on a stand within reach all day for whenever I get a chance to play. Otherwise they're in cases leaning on the wall.

I usually keep them in the case, would that be a good or bad thing? I think my main concern is humidity.

Everything in its case except for 4-5 that are in current rotation. Leaving unplayed guitars (picked up less than 2-3 times/week) out of their cases is a recipe for issues.

rupe":73pf55eg said:
Everything in its case except for 4-5 that are in current rotation. Leaving unplayed guitars (picked up less than 2-3 times/week) out of their cases is a recipe for issues.

+1 That's exactly what I do. I have a few on the stands and the rest are in cases. I will then rotate what I use every few weeks or so.

Wall hangers, 5 at a time. No discolouration?! Ever.(I have heard of such a thing happening. But not with my string swing hangers) My living room looks like GC! :D

ConcreteVampire":3cl01auo said:
Wall hangers, 5 at a time. No discolouration?! Ever.(I have heard of such a thing happening. But not with my string swing hangers) My living room looks like GC! :D

I never made it a point to fully remember the details since I dont use them so im not 100% on this, but certain stands/hangers use a covering (might have been the rubber) that I heard may react with certain finishes ( If I remember correctly it was nitrocellulose) over a period of time. Not sure how accurate that is. I could have heard bad info or I may not be remembering correctly.

6 guitars (3 electrics, 1 acoustic, 1 electric bass, 1 lap steel) all on wall hangers in my music room. Been this way for close to 6 years. I play all of them frequently and I've experienced no issues.

Stands and wall hangers. None of my electric guitars are nice enough to have to be kept in the cases. :LOL: :LOL: My acoustic isn't super expensive or anything, but I do keep it in its case.

one strat and one acoustic on wall hangers in my room. 5 other electrics, 2 other acoustics, and 3 basses in hardshell cases in my humidified basement (along with all my amps/cabs in shock-mount road cases).

Absolutely in the cases, They support the guitar properly, and help maintain the humidity envirionment.

All The Cases in the same room... So I can more easily maintain temp/humidity. I run a De-humidifier in the Summer, and a Humidifier in the Winter... trying to keep temp and humidity @ 65~75F and 35%~45% humidity... After a while the Case SOAK UP THAT RATE OF MOISTURE.. And Hold it. I have Probe in each of my cases that send data to a master weather station... So I can watch each guitar.

Once the case has absorbed 40% humidty for months... It HOLDS IT, for a while! like a big sponge. So If I bring the case in a dry room let's say 15% the probe will still read 40% and slowly get drier (lower), after a couple of days...

That's why you want them in the cases... It's a stable envirionment! :thumbsup:

Just as a testament to this... My guitars NEVER need a neck adjustment, and the NEVER go out of tune!!

Roid

All of my guitars are on wall hangers in my finished basement. Whole house is humidity controlled. Before that I had one of those 5 stand units on the floor.

Never an issue with any guitar left out for many years.

12 on "off the wall" brand hangers, 5-6 in a 6 rack stage rack and 1 or 2 on stands, all in the same room. I only put them in cases when they leave the house. I have a bunck of parts to make abut 4-5 more, those are in closets and shelves.

3 guitars in cases at cover band rehearsal space.

3 guitars in cases at original band rehearsal space.

Rest of 'em at home rotating between wall hangers and in cases.

Gibson Les Paul Standard - In Case
EVH Wolfgang Special - In Case
Fender American Special Stratocaster - Gig Bag
Kramer Baretta - In cardboard "Kramer" box it came in (pathetic). :)

Wall hangers, cases, floor stands. I've got a mess of 'em all over the place, but the wall hangers keep 'em off the floor and out of harms way. Kids aren't allowed (for lack of a better term) in my sesh space, but they do come in periodically. It's not that I don't want them in there, it's just how they've been raised. But when they do come in, I'm glad shit's off the floor, because usually something goes sideways with either a stomp, or my keyboard, or my cabinets, or cables :LOL: :LOL:

Back