which new production EL84's are you all using?

skullfxr

I just snagged an Orange OR15 for next to nothing. the power tubes in it are fine, but I retube anything that comes in my studio.

what do you all recommend for EL84's these days? I have had some JJ's in the past that in all honesty were decent, but I wasn't overly impressed in general. I just really need two, and don't want to spend more than $20 a pop.

what are you guys using brand wise these days?

I like TAD EL84-STR's, personally.

The biggest problem I have with EL84's is that they get very cloudy and muddy very fast in the low mids. I read TAD's are supposed to be more 6V6-like (deeper lows and airier highs). I don't know about that. I don't feel they are, but they are definitely a lot less congested in the low mids than anything else I've tried.

JJ EL84's have been the worst in that regard.

Electro Harmonix are my second choice, but I'd still much rather have the Chinese TAD's.

Sovtek EL84/6BQ5's are decent, but they're a bit more stuffy than I'd like as well.

Sovtek EL84M's are pretty insipid. I prefer the cheaper Sovtek EL84's, personally. I feel the M's are a bit dull and not any less stuffy.

Russian 6P14P. Blows the JJ and Chinese shit away.
This has been my experience as well.

But there are a lot of versions/dash numbers and it can get confusing. FWIW, I've had the best luck with the regular plain jane Reflektor 6P14P without any of the dash numbers. There are a ton of them on ebay but you have to be careful about matching. TubeStore has them but the ones I've always liked have the orange paint, the ones at TubeStore have grey paint. Maybe Dave can elaborate.

Which are the Russian EL84's to try? I keep reading they're great. What are they like compared to CP EL84's?

Back