Which Uber version for Cantrell/AIC tones?

Glimpse

I'm really interested in getting an Uber to cover heavy high gain tones. I've got an XTC Classic (which I love and isn't going anywhere) but it falls just short of the huge modern high gain tone.

I'm a huge Cantrell fan and really dig his heavy tones... so which version did Jerry use to produce his Uber tones? I realize that he's more famous for his Fish and Shiva tones, but his Uber tones are great too. Which version would you guys recommend for that type of tone and vibe? Disclaimer: I've never played an Uberschall so I really have no clue how they all differ and feel, and can only go by clips/albums I've heard.

I think any Uberschall can do Cantrell/AIC stuff just fine. They sound a bit different, but still have that inherent character that is unique to the Uber. You can't really go wrong with any of them. On 'Black Gives Way to Blue', I believe Jerry was using a Rev. Blue Uber, but with my Twin Jet, modified for EL34's, I have no problem nailing that tone.

I have a rev blue and I think it nails jerry's tone. I found his settings somewhere and they are pretty damn close.

Just for the record, he's actually most famous for his Bogner-modded Marshall tones. That's what he used on Facelift and the core tone of Dirt. But Facelift was all modded Marshall. :yes:

glassjaw7":2qcntrtp said:
Just for the record, he's actually most famous for his Bogner-modded Marshall tones. That's what he used on Facelift and the core tone of Dirt. But Facelift was all modded Marshall. :yes:

I'm guessing that if he wants the heavy tones he's probably thinking more
towards the new album? there are some really heavy tracks there.

When they were posting promo vids of the Black Gives Way to Blue sessions on the AIC site...there's a session clip where you can see the Uber head in the studio...and the Blue power light is easy to pic out. Use an Alnico V humbucker, don't over do it on the pre-amp gain or bass, use the presence to dial in the mids...and crank the master!

steve_k":25kbts6n said:
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50414

Rev Blue. You can see Jerry's settings.
Even so...unless it has to be dead-nuts perfect, any version of the Uber will suffice. They are all far more versatile than they are given credit for.

Back